Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Colome will accept that QO and with an $18 million salary he will be your big offseason addition.

:ninja:

To be fair, I edited that before you posted! I was thinking QO was 12, and not 18, before I edited.

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Teams don’t give up a lot for non tender candidates. If we don’t want him as a backup why do we think some other team will?

Sure some team might take a chance on him as back-up catcher/DH.  I just don’t think it will be with the Sox.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Sure some team might take a chance on him as back-up catcher/DH.  I just don’t think it will be with the Sox.

I mean sure if he is taken off the 40 man someone will claim him on waivers, but no one is trading anything of use for him. 

3 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I would definitely bring back Colome for something in the 2-3 year range for $12-14 million per. The recent history of trying to plug in guys for $7-9 million is abysmal.

There haven’t really been closers getting that money for the last 3 years, since Jansen, Melancon, and Chapman signed their deals. Only Kimbrel since then.

37 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Which stats and deceiving how, statistically speaking?

His 12/13 save opportunities and his 0.81ERA. He could have easily blown 4-5 games with his tireless tightrope act early on. Just not an ideal closer moving forward in my opinion, doesn’t pass the eye test

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chw42 said:

We could have had Ozuna on a fair deal this past off-season, but now he's probably gonna command a big contract after the year he just had.

But it all depends on how COVID affects the free agent market.

Wait we didn’t have Ozuna this season? That damn reporter lied me this offseason 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There haven’t really been closers getting that money for the last 3 years, since Jansen, Melancon, and Chapman signed their deals. Only Kimbrel since then.

Well if he's cheaper then that's obviously even better. I'm just saying the pen was pretty good this year when everyone was healthy and started to struggle as guys had to move up a role. Being able to keep everyone in the same spot and hopefully getting better starting pitching should yield even better results than this year. I think you could find a closer out of Bummer or Heuer, but then you have to find a 7th or 8th inning guy and I don't have faith in the Sox ability to pick the right one in order to save 3 or 4 million dollars.

Edited by TomPickle

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

His 12/13 save opportunities and his 0.81ERA. He could have easily blown 4-5 games with his tireless tightrope act early on. Just not an ideal closer moving forward in my opinion, doesn’t pass the eye test

While if this were the beginning of the year I’d wholeheartedly agree with you but he’s been rock solid, I’d bring him back and maybe add Hendricks too..

There’s some names - Hendricks, Kela, Shane Greene
Under the radar - Yimi Garcia 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I have no problem with him coming back, we could use a veteran presence in the bullpen. But I don’t want to overpay for him, given the owner already complaining about money. I don’t think he’s really worth more than he got this season in a normal market, if the market is depressed then even less than that.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

I have no problem with him coming back, we could use a veteran presence in the bullpen. But I don’t want to overpay for him, given the owner already complaining about money. I don’t think he’s really worth more than he got this season in a normal market, if the market is depressed then even less than that.

I agree. I have no issues with bringing him back I just don’t want him on a higher end Kimbrel type deal to where it hurts the pocket books of this team for years to come and makes Jerry cry poor even more so we can’t fill the holes we need the most. I think we have 2-3 other arms on the roster that is capable of closing here soon anyways. 

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox should be a team players want to come to and contend. No more having to pay a “we suck” tax. I will be disappointed if Q and Joc are the main adds.

Yep. This team needs to land it’s big fish one way or another this offseason. Enough of 2nd place bids, whether that’s via trade or free agency. Now is the time to strike. 

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox should be a team players want to come to and contend. No more having to pay a “we suck” tax. I will be disappointed if Q and Joc are the main adds.

Are you ok with Joc, IF we somehow, through a major miracle, convinced Bauer to be here? Joc isn't really someone I want, but I'd be ok with it, if it meant a real #1 added to the rotation.

And I say that, knowing that there really is no shot this organization goes and gets Bauer.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic