Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just now, almagest said:

Yeah, you're right. I can't read.

Still don't want to pay him $21-22 mil/yr for ~ 1.9 WAR/yr.

Isn’t that near going rate in free agency tho? ~$10M for 1 WAR? Have Cubs pick up $5-6M a year and we throw in a low level minor leaguer or two. Everyone wants good defense in RF and someone that can hit righties. He checks both boxes.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

No idea. I don't think they'll be able to compete for the high free agents. But until we find out if they are going to be on a pretty rigid budget it's all up in the air. 

Have you met Jerry Reinsdorf?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It’s almost a guarantee, IMO, based off Stoney’s comments that they want a lefty run producer.  I feel like Brantley could be the Sox version of Zobrist/Cubs.

Brantley would scare the hell out of me as one of those "one year too late" type guys. Similar to EE.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure why Joc gets so much hate around here, but how would these numbers not be sick for a year while we are hopefully waiting on Colas to be ready?

• Joc vs. RHP (2018-19): 850 PA, 60 HR, .908 OPS, 138 wRC+
  • Engel vs.LHP (2019-20): 124 PA, 3 HR, .820 OPS. 122 wRC+

Because his 2020 is scary bad and honestly he doesn’t look great physically 

27 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Isn’t that near going rate in free agency tho? ~$10M for 1 WAR? Have Cubs pick up $5-6M a year and we throw in a low level minor leaguer or two. Everyone wants good defense in RF and someone that can hit righties. He checks both boxes.

No, 1 WAR is not worth $10 million/yr unless you take a naive average across baseball, otherwise Trout would be making 100 million/year and Machado would've signed for ~$50 million/year. You "over" pay up front for production and hopefully end up with a not-too-bad contract by the end of it as the player declines and the AAV of other contracts go up. Contracts have not gone up that much since Heyward signed and with the overall economic downturn from COVID we'd be foolish to take on the majority of that contract when we could go out and get someone like Springer or Bauer for the same money (or a bit more).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure why Joc gets so much hate around here, but how would these numbers not be sick for a year while we are hopefully waiting on Colas to be ready?

• Joc vs. RHP (2018-19): 850 PA, 60 HR, .908 OPS, 138 wRC+
  • Engel vs.LHP (2019-20): 124 PA, 3 HR, .820 OPS. 122 wRC+

Colas is a FV 35 on Fangraphs. He's not even considered at the level of guys like Basabe and Rutherford. No problem signing him but he might not even reach MLB, so I wouldn't make any plans around him

I think anyone who thinks we'll be in the bidding for Bauer or Stroman are in for a not so great surprise when the offseason starts. I dont see us anywhere remotely close to getting either of those guys. 

Edited by Baron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, supernuke said:

Bauer or something equivalent. With out that any other moves wont matter.

Not really an equivalent on the market.  Not many great FA starters this winter.  Bauer would look great in a Sox uni but I don't see it happening. 

6 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Not really an equivalent on the market.  Not many great FA starters this winter.  Bauer would look great in a Sox uni but I don't see it happening. 

Yeah, If they can't get Bauer then they have to hope the new Mets owner want to start a rebuild and deGrom becomes available.

McCann was my top priority, but my optimism on a return is fading

Colome was next, nothing longer than a 3 year deal...Well deserved

I know we want Bauer/Stroman, but I don't see SP as such a pressing need, another arm would be nice, but with Kopech back and Cease/Dunning progressing, I'm less eager to overpay for an arm in the offseason

Not sure what to make of RF, who's out there? Adolfo and Rutherford are...possibly, internal options

Really love a super bench w/ McCann, Mendick, Yolmer, Engel, Leury, but we'll see what happens, hope the roster stays at 28

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The Sox are still beating He Who Shall Not Be Named 11 to 9 (4 runs 5 RBIs), though Fernando has last wraps with Game Three tomorrow

Fixed.

Just now, ChiSoxJon said:

McCann was my top priority, but my optimism on a return is fading

Colome was next, nothing longer than a 3 year deal...Well deserved

I know we want Bauer/Stroman, but I don't see SP as such a pressing need, another arm would be nice, but with Kopech back and Cease/Dunning progressing, I'm less eager to overpay for an arm in the offseason

Not sure what to make of RF, who's out there? Adolfo and Rutherford are...possibly, internal options

Really love a super bench w/ McCann, Mendick, Yolmer, Engel, Leury, but we'll see what happens, hope the roster stays at 28

C; Grandal, McCann
1B: Abreu
2B: Madrigal, Mendick, Yolmer
3B: Moncada
SS: Anderson
OF: Robert, Jimenez, Adolfo/Rutherford/FA, Engel, Leury
DH: Vaughn

Rotation: Giolito, Kuechel, Cease, Dunning, Kopech
Bullpen: Colome, Bummer, Marshall, Fry, Heuer, Cordero, Foster, Johnson, FA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Colas is a FV 35 on Fangraphs. He's not even considered at the level of guys like Basabe and Rutherford. No problem signing him but he might not even reach MLB, so I wouldn't make any plans around him

Fangraphs is routinely outdated with their prospect rankings and it appears that Colas has gotten back into elite athletic shape.

1 hour ago, CeaseAndExist said:

With his new reported speed, eg. times to first or sprint speed and minus 30 pounds, it's a far different calculation.

• Like 1

Bauer.  He fits too perfectly with his only wanting a short deal and the timing of our cores raises.  Im also good with getting only one SP, as long as theyre a stud.  Let cease, kopech, dunning, and crochet (if healthy) battle for the last two rotation spots.  

We should already have ozuna and unfortunately i think his price has gone up.  I think a trade makes the most sense here.  Im intrigued by benitendi and would be curious if collins plus a mid tier prospect could get it done.  Both teams selling low.  Nimmo would be preferred but i cant think of what sort of package of prospects would get it done

• bmags locked this topic