Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

With his new reported speed, eg. times to first or sprint speed and minus 30 pounds, it's a far different calculation.

I agree. He truly seems to be an elite athlete when he is fit and you could dream of a young Yoenis cespedes with him. Hit tool probably needs work to get there but you are not getting a guy with that power, arm and speed often.

A question is of course if he can hold that weight or whether he will gain it again.

Maybe herrassy but here goes....dangle Eloy to Brewers for Yelich and Corbin Burnes. I like Eloy but his lack of defense bottlenecks the lineup and we have depth at DH. Guessing Brewers would entertain dumping Yelich contract given his recent performance and I would bet on a big bounceback from him. Burnes goes right to TOR (I doubt Brewers would consider moving Woodruff due to his affordable contract). Who knows...maybe we can get them to toss in Hader if we throw in Cease, Lopez and Collins?

• Haha 3

1. Mid to upper rotation SP

2. Left handed hitting RF that can play some D

3. Back rotation SP on 1 year deal 

4. Further rotation options in the Rodon on cheap 1 year deal after non tendered mold 

5. backup catcher 

6. utility player that can play all over to pair with Leury on bench. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

4. Further rotation options in the Rodon on cheap 1 year deal after non tendered mold 

5. backup catcher 

That's a pretty solid list right there.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

5. backup catcher 

Wouldn’t you say a bench of Engel, Mendick and Leury is pretty darn good

1 minute ago, fathom said:

No guarantees but it’s versatile enough that with a loaded lineup, you don’t need to spend to upgrade it.

With Mazara and EE gone...likely replaced by Vaughn, and Collins either backup catcher or more likely traded...seems you really need one more established veteran, either at catcher or a 1B/DH/PR type.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Wouldn’t you say a bench of Engel, Mendick and Leury is pretty darn good

Yeah I would. I’d probably take a super utility guy with a focus on IF over Mendick.  But yeah. My lowest priority. 

4 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

They are going to chalk up Mazara in 2020 as a covid post recovery.  They are going to roll with him and engel as a platoon in RF.  

They are not spending money this offseason.  

It would surprise me to see Mazara back, at least early on.  He is in his final arb year, after being a $5.5 million contract last year.  We are probably talking the same money or more if he goes to a session.  I think he is a pretty clear non-tender, though maybe they try to bring him back on a smaller deal after his hits free agency.

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Not sure anything required "fixing",

One thing I am certain of, a lineup of nine Nicky Delmonicos would have scored more than 1 run against the Florida Marlins over two games.

The player on the Padres you referenced should only be brought up on Soxtalk using this phrase, “He Who Shall Not Be Named.”

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

The player on the Padres you referenced should only be brought up on Soxtalk using this phrase, “He Who Shall Not Be Named.”

Why are incorrect pronouns used here in most every post?

Not directed at you, but the word "we" should only be in reference to fans. "We" do not play for, manage, coach or are members of the Front Office, beyond a few Rick Hahn/Kenny Williams burner accounts.

We as fans want the White Sox to do well. We as fans have absolutely zero to do with playing, managing or operating the Chicago White Sox.

I'd like to see them trade for Mike Yastrzemski of the Giants, as he's posted solid stats as a left-handed bat over the past couple years. He's a late bloomer, but this will be his first year of arbitration so the price won't be cheap. I'm thinking Dylan Cease (would prefer to trade Reynaldo Lopez but don't think the Giants would do it), Andrew Dalquist and Nomar Mazara (with $4-5 million cash thrown in). If the Giants want a better major league-ready outfielder and don't care for Mazara (or Rutherford/Gonzalez/Adolfo for that matter), perhaps the Sox could work a three-way trade with another willing participant where the Giants can get a replacement for Carl's grandson. 

I'm not big on Pederson (we don't need any reclamation projects since our rebuild is over), and the White Sox definitely need an upgrade in right field (with preferably a left-handed bat) that won't be too much of a defensive liability. Thus, that's why I'm looking at Yastrzemski who's actually had a plus defensive rating in each of the past two years. George Springer is the best right field option who could be available in 2021's free agency class that isn't a defensive liability, but alas, he's a right-handed batter. Oh well, I could live with him manning right field for the next few years if we have to. Oh, I almost forgot: Yasiel Puig could be a cheaper possibility here as well.  

While we presently have a multitude of options beyond our top 2, the rest of the rotation will be full of question marks and/or inexperience for next year. As of now, possibilities include Kopech, Dunning, Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Stiever, Flores and Lambert. I'm not really considering Crochet since he'll likely be working on increasing his workload next year in the minors (he didn't pitch much this year in college or the Sox). I'd love to see the Sox add one of Trevor Bauer or Marcus Stroman; if the dollars and/or years are too exorbitant for the Sox to offer, cheaper possibilities could include Kevin Gausman and Jose Quintana. 

Finally, a decision has to be made about a closer. I'm OK if they decide to re-sign Colome for a two-year max deal; after all, while he doesn't possess wipeout stuff, he's stabilized the back end of the bullpen over the past couple years. However, a couple potentially higher-impact arms available via free agency would be Liam Hendricks and Trevor Rosenthal. The Sox actually should be fine otherwise with their bullpen for 2021.   

We should be OK financially for 2021 to splurge. Money off the books will include Kelvin Herrera, Nomar Mazara (if the Sox don't tender him arbitration), Alex Colome (though the Sox could re-sign him as a free agent), Edwin Encarnacion, Steve Cishek, Gio Gonzalez, Carlos Rodon (provided the Sox don't tender him arbitration), James McCann (who I'd love to see the Sox retain but I believe he'll go elsewhere to get a regular catching gig) and Leury Garcia (the Sox have a team option in 2021 for $3.5 mil). Of course, even with arbitration and increased salaries in 2021 for some players due to their extensions, the Sox should still have plenty to spend on a couple of the above guys. Other small salaries now off their books will be Jarrod Dyson's and Ross Detwiler's. Overall, not including Garcia who the Sox could conceivably opt in), the Sox will have nearly $55 million off their books for 2021 before any future transactions take place (free agency, trades, increases in salary due to arbitrations and/or extensions). There really should be no excuse to spend during this off-season.

12 minutes ago, whisoxman20051917 said:

I'd like to see them trade for Mike Yastrzemski of the Giants, as he's posted solid stats as a left-handed bat over the past couple years. He's a late bloomer, but this will be his first year of arbitration so the price won't be cheap. I'm thinking Dylan Cease (would prefer to trade Reynaldo Lopez but don't think the Giants would do it), Andrew Dalquist and Nomar Mazara (with $4-5 million cash thrown in). If the Giants want a better major league-ready outfielder and don't care for Mazara (or Rutherford/Gonzalez/Adolfo for that matter), perhaps the Sox could work a three-way trade with another willing participant where the Giants can get a replacement for Carl's grandson. 

I'm not big on Pederson (we don't need any reclamation projects since our rebuild is over), and the White Sox definitely need an upgrade in right field (with preferably a left-handed bat) that won't be too much of a defensive liability. Thus, that's why I'm looking at Yastrzemski who's actually had a plus defensive rating in each of the past two years. George Springer is the best right field option who could be available in 2021's free agency class that isn't a defensive liability, but alas, he's a right-handed batter. Oh well, I could live with him manning right field for the next few years if we have to. Oh, I almost forgot: Yasiel Puig could be a cheaper possibility here as well.  

While we presently have a multitude of options beyond our top 2, the rest of the rotation will be full of question marks and/or inexperience for next year. As of now, possibilities include Kopech, Dunning, Cease, Lopez, Rodon, Stiever, Flores and Lambert. I'm not really considering Crochet since he'll likely be working on increasing his workload next year in the minors (he didn't pitch much this year in college or the Sox). I'd love to see the Sox add one of Trevor Bauer or Marcus Stroman; if the dollars and/or years are too exorbitant for the Sox to offer, cheaper possibilities could include Kevin Gausman and Jose Quintana. 

Finally, a decision has to be made about a closer. I'm OK if they decide to re-sign Colome for a two-year max deal; after all, while he doesn't possess wipeout stuff, he's stabilized the back end of the bullpen over the past couple years. However, a couple potentially higher-impact arms available via free agency would be Liam Hendricks and Trevor Rosenthal. The Sox actually should be fine otherwise with their bullpen for 2021.   

We should be OK financially for 2021 to splurge. Money off the books will include Kelvin Herrera, Nomar Mazara (if the Sox don't tender him arbitration), Alex Colome (though the Sox could re-sign him as a free agent), Edwin Encarnacion, Steve Cishek, Gio Gonzalez, Carlos Rodon (provided the Sox don't tender him arbitration), James McCann (who I'd love to see the Sox retain but I believe he'll go elsewhere to get a regular catching gig) and Leury Garcia (the Sox have a team option in 2021 for $3.5 mil). Of course, even with arbitration and increased salaries in 2021 for some players due to their extensions, the Sox should still have plenty to spend on a couple of the above guys. Other small salaries now off their books will be Jarrod Dyson's and Ross Detwiler's. Overall, not including Garcia who the Sox could conceivably opt in), the Sox will have nearly $55 million off their books for 2021 before any future transactions take place (free agency, trades, increases in salary due to arbitrations and/or extensions). There really should be no excuse to spend during this off-season.

1. I am intrigued by the Yaz idea. I could see ways for that to work.

2. I'll say again - any statement of certainty like "There really should be no excuse to spend during this offseason" is wrong as the payroll for next year for us and every team is entirely at the whims of a virus.

23 hours ago, almagest said:

No, 1 WAR is not worth $10 million/yr unless you take a naive average across baseball, otherwise Trout would be making 100 million/year and Machado would've signed for ~$50 million/year. You "over" pay up front for production and hopefully end up with a not-too-bad contract by the end of it as the player declines and the AAV of other contracts go up. Contracts have not gone up that much since Heyward signed and with the overall economic downturn from COVID we'd be foolish to take on the majority of that contract when we could go out and get someone like Springer or Bauer for the same money (or a bit more).

Springer and Bauer aren’t going to cost “the same money or a bit more” than the 3 years/$72M that Heyward has remaining. And again, the Cubs would have to pick up a good chunk of that to move him so it wouldn’t be the entire contract.

43 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Springer and Bauer aren’t going to cost “the same money or a bit more” than the 3 years/$72M that Heyward has remaining. And again, the Cubs would have to pick up a good chunk of that to move him so it wouldn’t be the entire contract.

Springer got $21 million this year, so yes his yearly contract value will likely be around the same as Heyward.

Let's use Yu Darvish as a comparison for Bauer - both are oddball right-handed starters with consistency issues but have Cy Young quality stuff when going right. Darvish signed a 6 year $126 million contract ($21 mil/yr) in 2018 (his age 31 season). Bauer will be 30 in January.

3/72 is $24m per year, so Heyward's contract seems a good reference point for what Bauer (assuming he signs a longer term deal) and Springer get this offseason.

If you're asking the Cubs to absorb a decent sized chunk of Heyward's contract you have to give up a decent prospect. Really doesn't seem worth it.

Edited by almagest

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1. I am intrigued by the Yaz idea. I could see ways for that to work.

2. I'll say again - any statement of certainty like "There really should be no excuse to spend during this offseason" is wrong as the payroll for next year for us and every team is entirely at the whims of a virus.

I brought him up a few days ago along with the Santander kid from The O's. Everyone else is just piggybacking off me . 😋

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Why are incorrect pronouns used here in most every post?

Not directed at you, but the word "we" should only be in reference to fans. "We" do not play for, manage, coach or are members of the Front Office, beyond a few Rick Hahn/Kenny Williams burner accounts.

We as fans want the White Sox to do well. We as fans have absolutely zero to do with playing, managing or operating the Chicago White Sox.

No idea what you’re talking about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, almagest said:

Springer got $21 million this year, so yes his yearly contract value will likely be around the same as Heyward.

Let's use Yu Darvish as a comparison for Bauer - both are oddball right-handed starters with consistency issues but have Cy Young quality stuff when going right. Darvish signed a 6 year $126 million contract ($21 mil/yr) in 2018 (his age 31 season). Bauer will be 30 in January.

3/72 is $24m per year, so Heyward's contract seems a good reference point for what Bauer (assuming he signs a longer term deal) and Springer get this offseason.

If you're asking the Cubs to absorb a decent sized chunk of Heyward's contract you have to give up a decent prospect. Really doesn't seem worth it.

If you read my post, I said the Cubs chip in $15-20M in cash so its 3/$52-57M and no the Cubs are not getting a decent prospect in that deal. It’s a salary dump and Heyward would be getting paid what he’s worth as a 2 WAR/year RF.

• bmags locked this topic