Offseason Targets

soxfan49

9 minutes ago, CeaseAndExist said:

lol okay

You’re right buddy, Fangraphs is never wrong, just like when they had Luis Robert graded as a 55 FV prospect prior to this season and still only have him as a 60 FV guy.  But hey, if you actually think Oscar Colas is the same caliber prospect as Luis Mieses then god bless you!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Why are teams falling over themselves for a 35 FV player?  

Answer:  He's not.

Longenhagen probably got some bad intel when Colas’ body went the wrong way.  He’s back in elite shape with elite speed, power, & arm who has had success at various levels of Cuban & Japanese baseball at a very young age.  To think he’s a 35 FV grade prospect is just laughable.

• Like 3

Bauer is my #1 target if I am Hahn.  SP in general is my #1 target.  I would sign a few if you can....going back to 162 games you can't have enough SP, the Sox didn't even have enough for 60.

After pitching, I would look for a lefty bat.  I know he is on the older side, and defense is probably lacking, but I take a hard look at Michael Brantley.  I am guessing that the Astros don't bring him back with guys like Tucker still looking for a spot.  He is a professional lefty hitter who can get on base.  I would see if you can get a 2 year deal and hope to find a RF in the next few years for the long term.

• Like 4

I do think we will go hard after Bauer. if he is willing to still take a short deal we will try. IMO we dont like giving SP long term deals. Its more about how tied up we would be for years vs spending a lot on a 2 yr deal. He has his issues w/ his personality but he studies a lot (could teach our young pitchers) and looks like he likes to have fun.
Stroman is a good option as well pending what he wants.

Then I want Brantley and for us to sign the Cuban kid. Have him as a stop gap then hope Colas works out.

Sign a BP piece or 2.

2021:

C- Yas

1. Vaughn/Abreu/Yas

2. Madrigal

ss. TA

3. Moncada

OF: Brantley/Robert/Eloy

DH: Vaughn/Abreu/Yas

Bench: Mendick/L. Garcia/Collins/FA

SP: Bauer/Gio/DK/Cease/Dunning....... fight it out between, and eventually replaced by Kopech, Lopez/Stevier/etc.

You cannot tell me that's not a nice ass team.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Longenhagen probably got some bad intel when Colas’ body went the wrong way.  He’s back in elite shape with elite speed, power, & arm who has had success at various levels of Cuban & Japanese baseball at a very young age.  To think he’s a 35 FV grade prospect is just laughable.

Where are you getting this from? I am wary of his body type, defensive position, and plate discipline. I couldn't find any recent updates on him.

10 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Payroll cuts are going to be a reality for every MLB team though. Teams like the Indians and DBacks are looking at massive cutbacks. Proportionally, I don't see much changing with where the Sox payroll ranks.

So you are saying that its possible all teams make cuts and therefore where the Sox rank in payroll will be in the same area meaning it's very possible that payroll is less than it was in 2020 which is what everyone is afraid of. Precisely my point.

53 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Where are you getting this from? I am wary of his body type, defensive position, and plate discipline. I couldn't find any recent updates on him.

I remember something on here that had video clips of him looking in great shape as compared to earlier clips of him looking roundish. You might have to do some digging using search here. I think Colas is a long shot to be ready by 2022 .

Try this thread in Future Sox :

July 2nd Latest from Futuresox & our James

•  

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

16 minutes ago, Orlando said:

And you know that how?

Not that Jim Callis is an international player guru either, but AAAA DH only players as Colas is described by Fangraphs are not ranked in the 30-60 range in top 100 prospect lists.

• Love 1

Longenhagen's Robert valuation was not particularly good, and he had eyes on him. But - when he did was about a year before he defected an a lot of growth can happen between 18 and 19.

Colas is interesting. There seems to be a lot of raw talent, but him not making the actual NPL team means it may not be polished yet. I guess, my point is I hope we get him or cespedes, but i'm less concerned with whatever valuations there are of him now which are likely based on old info. I'm interested in the first eyes of him after we hopefully sign him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Not that Jim Callis is an international player guru either, but AAAA DH only players as Colas is described by Fangraphs are not ranked in the 30-60 range in top 100 prospect lists.

I think the fangraphs rank was when he was fat and out of shape. I think when longenhagen sees the body change in games he will adjust his ranking. Don't think he will have him in the top100 but more like a 45.

SP - My head says that they will end up with Stroman, but my heart hopes that they go really hard after Bauer. He's the only TOR guy available and the Sox need someone they can trust in a big spot. Then they can let Kopech, Dunning, and Cease battle for the last 2 rotation spots.

RF - I know that everybody is clamoring for a new RF but something tells me that they will stand pat. The Sox wanted him for a long time and I have a hard time believing that they will admit defeat after 60 games of Mazara recovering from COVID. Especially when he was having his best ABs of the season during the last week of the regular season and in the playoffs. Worst case, he sucks again and they can make a move at next year's deadline.

32 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

SP - My head says that they will end up with Stroman, but my heart hopes that they go really hard after Bauer. He's the only TOR guy available and the Sox need someone they can trust in a big spot. Then they can let Kopech, Dunning, and Cease battle for the last 2 rotation spots.

RF - I know that everybody is clamoring for a new RF but something tells me that they will stand pat. The Sox wanted him for a long time and I have a hard time believing that they will admit defeat after 60 games of Mazara recovering from COVID. Especially when he was having his best ABs of the season during the last week of the regular season and in the playoffs. Worst case, he sucks again and they can make a move at next year's deadline.

His ABs in the playoffs were the best on the team.  Crazy. 

1 minute ago, Jerksticks said:

His ABs in the playoffs were the best on the team.  Crazy. 

Timmy might have a case to make with 9 hits in a 3 game series ;)

But on the whole, I agree they will take stick with Mazara based what he did at the end of the year...the only disagreement I would have with myself about that is that they did bench him for game 1 of the series and they might not like what he would get in arbitration.  We will see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Timmy might have a case to make with 9 hits in a 3 game series ;)

But on the whole, I agree they will take stick with Mazara based what he did at the end of the year...the only disagreement I would have with myself about that is that they did bench him for game 1 of the series and they might not like what he would get in arbitration.  We will see.

Oh man!  Don’t tell TA7 of my blasphemy I forgot!

On 10/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, MiddleCoastBias said:

I'm stumping hard for a trade with Boston of Cease+ for Benintendi.

I don't think the team is in a position to trade starting pitching for a position player anywhere on the diamond, even if that position has to otherwise be filled by "Larry" Garcia.

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I don't think the team is in a position to trade starting pitching for a position player anywhere on the diamond, even if that position has to otherwise be filled by "Larry" Garcia.

Not to mention, is Cease's stock so low that you have to trade 5 years of him and even more for 2 years of Benintendi, who himself is far from his peak value?

17 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Cease for Benintendi would be terrible.

I am rooting for Cease+++ for Nimmo and Diaz.  

My +++ would be Collins, Flores and L. Gonzalez.  But you can insert whatever backend 40 man guys you want.  But I think that's a pretty fair trade.  

• bmags locked this topic