Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cease for Benintendi would be terrible.

I am rooting for Cease+++ for Nimmo and Diaz.  

My +++ would be Collins, Flores and L. Gonzalez.  But you can insert whatever backend 40 man guys you want.  But I think that's a pretty fair trade.  

Getting Nimmo would be so damn nice. He put up some great numbers this year. His wRC+ of 148 would be 2nd best on the Sox. I feel they'll keep him around given the new owner, unfortunately. They may be buyers. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Getting Nimmo would be so damn nice. He put up some great numbers this year. His wRC+ of 148 would be 2nd best on the Sox. I feel they'll keep him around given the new owner, unfortunately. They may be buyers. 

Mets could go after Springer though and use Nimmo as trade bait

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Getting Nimmo would be so damn nice. He put up some great numbers this year. I feel they'll keep him around given the new owner, unfortunately. They may be buyers. 

I kind of doubt the Mets will be buyers, and if they want to get anything for Nimmo, down is the time.

My (somewhat realistic) dream scenario is that trade + signing Brantley + signing Stroman and Q for the rotation.

Really helps get the lineup more lefthanded, and Brantley provides nice insurance for Nimmo (and Eloy) who seem to get hurt a lot.  Brantley can play LF and rotate DH with Eloy until Vaughn arrives, and otherwise shuffle through the OF. I think its unlikely cause I don't think the Sox are going to mostly push Engel/Leury out of roles, but it would be really nice situation, but obviously a bit of luxury.  

Anderson SS, Brantly DF/LF/RF, Abreu 1B/DH, Eloy LF/DH, Moncada 3B, Grandal C, Robert CF, Nimmo RF, Madrigal 2B with Vaugh in the mix coming May. 

Rotation: Giolito, Stroman, Kuechel, Dunning, Q with Kopech arriving in June

Pen + Diaz.

SEXY SQUAD.  

No way in hell would I trade Cease for Benintendi.

I surely hope the Sox aren't trying to dump Cease off like he's garbage.  Be patient.  There's a lot of talent there.

We will see what the Sox do, but technically, all they have to do is sign 2 of Bauer/Stroman/Paxton to make Cease a solid #5 with big upside with Dunning, Kopech, and Stiever behind him.  That's a pretty awesome position to be in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

No way in hell would I trade Cease for Benintendi.

I surely hope the Sox aren't trying to dump Cease off like he's garbage.  Be patient.  There's a lot of talent there.

We will see what the Sox do, but technically, all they have to do is sign 2 of Bauer/Stroman/Paxton to make Cease a solid #5 with big upside with Dunning, Kopech, and Stiever behind him.  That's a pretty awesome position to be in.

The White Sox know better than anyone that live arms can figure it out.  They are not going to be in a rush to trade him.  If they do trade him, it will be only for a front line pitcher.  Honestly if the shoes were reversed and Cease was offered to the Sox, they would take him in a heartbeat.  They target underachievers with big arms.  They aren't about to just give him away.

19 hours ago, CeaseAndExist said:

Fangraphs says Colas will likely be FV 35. https://blogs.fangraphs.com/eric-longenhagen-chat-2-21-20/.

He's a marginal MLB prospect, basically like a 2nd-3rd rd college draft pick

I put no credence in what fangraphs says about prospects.  They had Jimmy Lambert as a 35 FV before the season and Yermin ranked highly.  It couldn't be more obvious to me that they don't watch these guys play and the sources they rely on probably aren't that great.

From what I've seen on the mound, Colas looks like about a $1M international FA guy as a pitcher.  As a hitter I'm not sure but he seems pretty advanced for his age, and this is all the chubby Colas.  In shape Colas is probably much better.

I see why Colas isn't super exciting because he's not super exciting as a pitcher and as a hitter maybe we are lacking info.  But there is raw talent there and I think he looks like a good signing for about $1.5M or less.  Remember that most of these guys don't make it at all, and the ones who do will take leaps beyond where they are now.  I wouldn't care about what the fangraphs guys say though.

Edited by YourWhatHurts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cease for Benintendi would be terrible.

I am rooting for Cease+++ for Nimmo and Diaz.  

My +++ would be Collins, Flores and L. Gonzalez.  But you can insert whatever backend 40 man guys you want.  But I think that's a pretty fair trade.  

Flores is basically a roster spot.  He's an ultimate fringe guy.  Gonzalez really is about as valuable as Charlie Tilson or Ryan Cordell ATM.  They're just 2 names that have to be kept on a 40-man or otherwise exposed to waivers.  I don't think they move the needle for anyone.

I definitely wouldn't trade Cease for Nimmo, both because of the history of not being a great player and also only 2 years team control left.

IMO if you trade Cease, a guy like Clint Frazier is the guy you want to target.  Get an MLB ready guy with 4+ years control who has already shown he can play, or an MLB-ready top prospect that is ranked very high.  I'm not sure who else is out there but there's probably someone else.  If the Rays wanted to do Cease for Arozarena that could work, but I don't think they're trading him.

I think maybe a smaller deal like Dunning for Mitch Haniger fits the bill better, most likely.  Maybe Charlie Blackmon or Starling Marte.  I will guess Starling Marte or Haniger if we make a trade and it's a much lesser piece than Cease.  Cease only goes for a serious impact guy or a top prospect /young MLBer type I think.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cease for Benintendi is a massive overpayment. Lopez for Benintendi is pretty fair. 

I think we probably undervalue Lopez's trade value and Red Sox fans probably undervalue Benintendi's trade value.  But I think Lopez isn't enough for Benintendi and we would need to add more, and as a centerpiece, Lopez isn't enough to be that.  I think Dunning for Benintendi is a fair trade but I think it's one that would likely hurt the Sox.  Benintendi has 2 years left and Dunning could be a workhorse overachiever.

I do think the Red Sox would have interest in Lopez if they are planning on rebuilding/retooling/whatever for another year.

11 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think we probably undervalue Lopez's trade value and Red Sox fans probably undervalue Benintendi's trade value.  But I think Lopez isn't enough for Benintendi and we would need to add more, and as a centerpiece, Lopez isn't enough to be that.  I think Dunning for Benintendi is a fair trade but I think it's one that would likely hurt the Sox.  Benintendi has 2 years left and Dunning could be a workhorse overachiever.

I do think the Red Sox would have interest in Lopez if they are planning on rebuilding/retooling/whatever for another year.

Benintendi is a busted prospect at this point too, he's only had one good season just like Lopez and they're both 26. Benintendi has 2 years of team control and Lopez has 3. 

25 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Flores is basically a roster spot.  He's an ultimate fringe guy.  Gonzalez really is about as valuable as Charlie Tilson or Ryan Cordell ATM.  They're just 2 names that have to be kept on a 40-man or otherwise exposed to waivers.  I don't think they move the needle for anyone.

I definitely wouldn't trade Cease for Nimmo, both because of the history of not being a great player and also only 2 years team control left.

IMO if you trade Cease, a guy like Clint Frazier is the guy you want to target.  Get an MLB ready guy with 4+ years control who has already shown he can play, or an MLB-ready top prospect that is ranked very high.  I'm not sure who else is out there but there's probably someone else.  If the Rays wanted to do Cease for Arozarena that could work, but I don't think they're trading him.

I think maybe a smaller deal like Dunning for Mitch Haniger fits the bill better, most likely.  Maybe Charlie Blackmon or Starling Marte.  I will guess Starling Marte or Haniger if we make a trade and it's a much lesser piece than Cease.  Cease only goes for a serious impact guy or a top prospect /young MLBer type I think.

Clint Frazier does nothing to shore up this teams short comings. 

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Dunning for Blackmon? The Sox shouldn't think twice about that, imo.

adding by subtraction!!!! Get rid of Encarnacion, Mazara, Gonzalez and Lopez. Opening up spots for Kopech and Vaughn. We can live with this lineup with Engel in right unless the right FA is affordable. Try to keep McCann, although that may tough and could sideline Vaughn. Cease and Dunning may be long relief help and try and stretch out Crochet. Dallas, Gio,  Kopech and Crochet and pray for rain!!!! 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

adding by subtraction!!!! Get rid of Encarnacion, Mazara, Gonzalez and Lopez. Opening up spots for Kopech and Vaughn. We can live with this lineup with Engel in right unless the right FA is affordable. Try to keep McCann, although that may tough and could sideline Vaughn. Cease and Dunning may be long relief help and try and stretch out Crochet. Dallas, Gio,  Kopech and Crochet and pray for rain!!!! 

On 10/3/2020 at 2:07 PM, ejm3 said:

Next year's starting rotation could be: Giolito, Keuchel, Kopech, Crochet and the 5th starter, a battle between Cease and Dunning. Keep in mind that provided (and that's big IF) that someone qualified enough to tweak Cease and Dunning in the off season and make them both productive again, then it wouldn't be a bad idea IMO to go to a 6 man rotation. The advantages theoretically would be: 1. We would have a deep enough rotation to get away with it. We wouldn't burn out their arms throughout the hopefully 162 game season. 2. Since our bullpen has many question marks, with a 6 man rotation, you wouldn't have to baby them on pitch count. You could go over 100 pitches each game and hopefully let them go 7 innings, thus only having to use the bullpen for 9 outs. Each starter would be fine with 6 days rest now. We have enough good bullpen pitchers to handle that....without throwing in guys like Cordero, Fry and Gonzalez to lose the game for us. Obviously keeping the current coaching staff, this isn't remotely a possibility. LOL!

Adding Crochet into the starting rotation when there is clearly absolutely 0 chance of that happening. ejm3 had the same idea as you! Very surprising!

3 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Would rather trade cease than dunning personally.  Cease doesnt impress me at all

• Like 1

You try filling out the roster first via free agency, then you fall back on trades. The only way you do trades first is if you get a can't miss long term piece. Why trade all those pieces to Boston when you can just sign JBJ and Q for the same net WAR but you keep your prospects.

• bmags locked this topic