Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Eaton would be great.. People are literally starting to clamor for Jackie Bradley Jr.. In 2019 Eaton still put up a .365 OBP.. He's a lefty bat, with good OBP and with good defense.  He'd be a good, relatively cheap, option.  I'd be for it assuming the clubhouse passes on it.. 1 year 10 million with a club option for 15 million.  2/25.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Let's not pretend that you wouldn't be earning just as many blue flames

Most of my takes are correct, but people focus on a select few due to the fake news moderators that slander my name around here

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Eaton would be great.. People are literally starting to clamor for Jackie Bradley Jr.. In 2019 Eaton still put up a .365 OBP.. He's a lefty bat, with good OBP and with good defense.  He'd be a good, relatively cheap, option.  I'd be for it assuming the clubhouse passes on it.. 1 year 10 million with a club option for 15 million.  2/25.

I didn't think there was a shot in hell the Nats would decline their $10M option on Eaton, but sounds like its possible.

Eaton is jackass and I am not sure this FO will show interest, but his skillset is a good fit for the roster.  Definitely one of the better options if he does indeed become a FA.  I don't think he is half as good of a defender as he was when he was with the Sox, but would still be at worst an average RF.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I will be shocked if the Sox want to deal with Eaton again 

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So you expect a Top !0 RF in baseball to just forego Free Agency ? Not likely.  You just can't give up Cease (+) for a guy with 1 year left with just a hope and a prayer of locking him up.

I understand who Conforto’s agent but you can look as far back as last season Mookie Betts forgoing his free agency, Yelich same thing - the 2 best right fielders in baseball. The Sox aren’t in this position anymore where they can sit on their hands and let these superstar/star players slip through the cracks, unfortunately the tough decisions to get rid of young high ceiling guys is upon us. I would GLADLY get rid of Cease for “1 year” of Conforto

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I understand who Conforto’s agent but you can look as far back as last season Mookie Betts forgoing his free agency, Yelich same thing - the 2 best right fielders in baseball. The Sox aren’t in this position anymore where they can sit on their hands and let these superstar/star players slip through the cracks, unfortunately the tough decisions to get rid of young high ceiling guys is upon us. I would GLADLY get rid of Cease for “1 year” of Conforto

Out of the Sox pitching prospects the only ones I'd definitely keep under all circumstances are Kopech and Crochet. Both guys have special arms. You find a place for that, unless they just keep getting injured. Any  other guy is available in the right deal. Both Kopech and Crochet don't have the control/command issues that Cease does. \

It's really a shame that Kopech's UCL tore when it did because he was just starting to figure it out. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Out of the Sox pitching prospects the only ones I'd definitely keep under all circumstances are Kopech and Crochet. Both guys have special arms. You find a place for that, unless they just keep getting injured. Any  other guy is available in the right deal. Both Kopech and Crochet don't have the control/command issues that Cease does. \

It's really a shame that Kopech's UCL tore when it did because he was just starting to figure it out. 

I’d throw Dunning in there too - While Cease could have a Giolito type offseason where he figures it out (which I’m hoping for) I still am not interested in him trying to figure it out here, not during the Sox contending window. If a player at a position of need is attainable and Cease is the ask you make the move and this is under the assumption Hahn is planing on signing a Stroman/Gausman/Bauer which I think they very likely end up with one of those 3. 

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

I’d throw Dunning in there too - While Cease could have a Giolito type offseason where he figures it out (which I’m hoping for) I still am not interested in him trying to figure it out here, not during the Sox contending window. If a player at a position of need is attainable and Cease is the ask you make the move and this is under the assumption Hahn is planing on signing a Stroman/Gausman/Bauer which I think they very likely end up with one of those 3. 

I'm fine with Gausman as the 5th starter, not as the major signing. Dude is incredibly inconsistent. 

I'd rather go with Bauer/Stroman/Odorizzi(probably one of the latter two) as the major signing and Gausman/Quintana as the secondary starter position. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

I will be shocked if the Sox want to deal with Eaton again 

No time for pettiness. Eaton is relatively cheap and will give you a high OBP, a little pop, and solid defense. If you add him and Vaughn to this lineup you can win the division with another high quality starter added. Again, we have to let pride and pettiness go and sign this dude if he is available. 

8 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

No time for pettiness. Eaton is relatively cheap and will give you a high OBP, a little pop, and solid defense. If you add him and Vaughn to this lineup you can win the division with another high quality starter added. Again, we have to let pride and pettiness go and sign this dude if he is available. 

It isn't about pettiness but more about who you want around your young and learning players.  Do you want them picking up bad habits? 

11 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

By this logic, bring back Ozzie too

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It isn't about pettiness but more about who you want around your young and learning players.  Do you want them picking up bad habits? 

Our core is set and have their own thing going. Eaton will not come in and disrupt that. On this team, he is an outsider. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Our core is set and have their own thing going. Eaton will not come in and disrupt that. On this team, he is an outsider. 

Eaton is going to remain an outsider because he burned the bridge to the ground.  They can and should do better 

And it is not only the Sox where this happened.  The guy has a grating personality apparently 

28 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This isn’t about pettiness, Eaton is a huge fucking disruption in the clubhouse and should not be signed under any circumstance.  I love the player and how his skills would fit the team, but full stop he is not worth the headache.

• Like 1

I think it's interesting the focus on right field. I think part of it is there seems to be a lot of solutions.

SP is really going to be nervewrecking especially if Bauer sweepstakes are super competitive. I've said before - I'd like to take a shot on odorizzi. But it's going to rely a lot on sox FA scouting to find some quality depth.

27 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think it's interesting the focus on right field. I think part of it is there seems to be a lot of solutions.

SP is really going to be nervewrecking especially if Bauer sweepstakes are super competitive. I've said before - I'd like to take a shot on odorizzi. But it's going to rely a lot on sox FA scouting to find some quality depth.

I am just going to say it.  With the line up the Sox have it is WAY easier to hide a bad to mediocre RF, than it is to hide the fact our starting pitching was not deep enough.  We need a top half SP WAY worse than we need a RF.  We could go into next season with internal options in RF, and as long as we do something with the rotation, I will be good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say it.  With the line up the Sox have it is WAY easier to hide a bad to mediocre RF, than it is to hide the fact our starting pitching was not deep enough.  We need a top half SP WAY worse than we need a RF.  We could go into next season with internal options in RF, and as long as we do something with the rotation, I will be good.

Honestly same. Just find a lefty bat to pair with Engel and role with that. Doesn't have to be a huge signing. Even if they end up having to go with Engel as the primary starter, you at least have good defense and speed in a deep lineup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Honestly same. Just find a lefty bat to pair with Engel and role with that. Doesn't have to be a huge signing. Even if they end up having to go with Engel as the primary starter, you at least have good defense and speed in a deep lineup.

And even if Engel hits .220 next year, we know he will catch the ball, which is what we really need for our pitching.

• Like 2

• bmags locked this topic