Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Some of the trade proposals I’ve seen from Sox fans in their offseason projections are insane. Talk about selling Cease at the lowest value possible, and it’s also interesting how little Sox fans respect Vaughn’s potential.

I am very excited to do mine but it's too early can't believe people doing it before even arb projections.

4 hours ago, fathom said:

Some of the trade proposals I’ve seen from Sox fans in their offseason projections are insane. Talk about selling Cease at the lowest value possible, and it’s also interesting how little Sox fans respect Vaughn’s potential.

The Vaughn disrespect especially hurts. Seen some comments throwing him in as a sweetener....

4 hours ago, fathom said:

In one particular Sox Machine Off-season play , they had a trade of Rodon + PTBNL for Hader. Some people spend too much time playing The Show.

On 10/19/2020 at 11:43 AM, EloyJenkins said:

yep, Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs all need to get under luxury tax. and with the new CBA looming it is going to be intense. Players will come off as greedy if they hold out for more money and Owners will all be crying poor. Perfect time to steal some FAs!

The Kansas chancellor who is a doctor said that he thinks we won't be close to normal until this time in 2021. So that makes you wonder ... will ballclubs have reduced attendance or no attendance again next season? I guess the TV contracts still stuff dollars in the owners' pockets, but don't the lack of parking and ticket sales hurt teams at least a bit? Sounds like it could be another season of reduced profits. The doctor/chancellor also said he doesn't think we'll ever return to what we considered normal before. Doesn't this scare sports owners a bit? At least baseball is outdoors but I would think it insane for owners to give studs contracts of say 45 million over 3 years.

Edited by greg775

34 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

The Vaughn disrespect especially hurts. Seen some comments throwing him in as a sweetener....

For some reason I consider Vaughn in the same realm as my love of Eloy and Robert. I consider Vaughn untradeable. He could be an amazing DH. It's Burger who I am not crazy about in terms of potential sluggers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

For some reason I consider Vaughn in the same realm as my love of Eloy and Robert. I consider Vaughn untradeable.

I say this as someone who thinks Eloy is the most underrated current player on the Sox, but IMO it's likely that Vaughn ends up being the best hitter out of those three. I just love his swing and power/patience combo

• Like 3

I am a new user to this board and I apologize if I repeat something already said. To me, this team should focus on adding two starting pitchers in the off season. One should be Trevor Bauer who is the baddest beast on the current free agent list. They should then take  look at whoever appears the healthiest of the 3 or 4 available left handers on the list. If healthy, I like Paxson the best.

As for the rest of the additions, I really hope that they re-sign Colome. He deserves a two year deal and all he does is get outs and saves games. The rest of the pen is extremely deep and solid. I love McCann but he is going to be the number one catcher on a good team so unless they trade Grandal, he almost has to go. I also want that big over-achiever Mercedes on the team next year as a DH and catcher/1B guy. I thought that he should have taken EE's place on the roster this last year. The guy is one of those Latin guys who just knows how to bash the ball.

I also think that they do not have to over-spend for a right fielder and no one needs to be added considering the age of the guys presently on the team. Maybe they will get pressed by one of the guys in the minors also?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

In one particular Sox Machine Off-season play , they had a trade of Rodon + PTBNL for Hader. Some people spend too much time playing The Show.

Me when they re-sign Mazara

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJaSaXSJ/

(had to embed link when video was crazy big. Maybe I should just delete this. Oh well)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fathom said:

I would hope that whoever they bring in as the new pitching coach can fix Cease's delivery. His problem as I see it is his stride to the plate basically and that is pretty straight forward to fix normally. Maybe that high school coach who fixed Giolitto's delivery can Cease's problem also, although it is a different one.

45 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I am a new user to this board and I apologize if I repeat something already said. To me, this team should focus on adding two starting pitchers in the off season. One should be Trevor Bauer who is the baddest beast on the current free agent list. They should then take  look at whoever appears the healthiest of the 3 or 4 available left handers on the list. If healthy, I like Paxson the best.

As for the rest of the additions, I really hope that they re-sign Colome. He deserves a two year deal and all he does is get outs and saves games. The rest of the pen is extremely deep and solid. I love McCann but he is going to be the number one catcher on a good team so unless they trade Grandal, he almost has to go. I also want that big over-achiever Mercedes on the team next year as a DH and catcher/1B guy. I thought that he should have taken EE's place on the roster this last year. The guy is one of those Latin guys who just knows how to bash the ball.

I also think that they do not have to over-spend for a right fielder and no one needs to be added considering the age of the guys presently on the team. Maybe they will get pressed by one of the guys in the minors also?

They're trying like all hell to resign him.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're trying like all hell to resign him.  

That's good. I think that he really is their best catcher all around. But it is going to take some major bank to sign him. He's going to get three years minimum and is in his prime. He might take some money deferred to spread the money out some but he shouldn't be expected to give them a major break money-wise.

2 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

I say this as someone who thinks Eloy is the most underrated current player on the Sox, but IMO it's likely that Vaughn ends up being the best hitter out of those three. I just love his swing and power/patience combo

I think it is way too early to talk about Vaughn being the best hitter on a team blessed with very good hitters. You are talking about Anderson, Abreu, and Jimenez who conceivably will be competing for MVP honors next year. Vaughn hasn't tasted major league pitching yet. It took Eloy 3/4 of a season to figure things out. Anderson took two years, and Abreu was a veteran when he broke in. Vaughn will struggle like all young hitters do.

2 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

I think it is way too early to talk about Vaughn being the best hitter on a team blessed with very good hitters. You are talking about Anderson, Abreu, and Jimenez who conceivably will be competing for MVP honors next year. Vaughn hasn't tasted major league pitching yet. It took Eloy 3/4 of a season to figure things out. Anderson took two years, and Abreu was a veteran when he broke in. Vaughn will struggle like all young hitters do.

Mike Trout didn’t struggle

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Hawk said:

Welcome to Soxtalk!

On 10/1/2020 at 9:14 PM, fathom said:

Vaughn will start the season in the majors, if I had to bet.

Explain please.  Because of his .251 batting average in class A, or his 6 home runs? Remember, no time in mlb, AAA or AA  Bring him up before he earns it, and you might ruin him. I love his potential, but not in  2021,  unless he tears up AA and AAA first.

2 minutes ago, jimsemple said:

Explain please.  Because of his .251 batting average in class A, or his 6 home runs? Remember, no time in mlb, AAA or AA  Bring him up before he earns it, and you might ruin him. I love his potential, but not in  2021,  unless he tears up AA and AAA first.

He will most definitely be up in 2021, and probably early in the season.

2 hours ago, The Hawk said:

I didn't say best hitter on the team, I said best out of the 3 players referenced (the others being Robert and Jimenez). I'm sure he'll struggle early on, but he has the makeup and approach to make an impact fairly soon

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I didn't say best hitter on the team, I said best out of the 3 players referenced (the others being Robert and Jimenez). I'm sure he'll struggle early on, but he has the makeup and approach to make an impact fairly soon

That said - It is not a stretch to say that Vaughn has the talent to become the best hitter on this team.

He is that talented.

24 minutes ago, hi8is said:

That said - It is not a stretch to say that Vaughn has the talent to become the best hitter on this team.

He is that talented.

Very true. I just wouldn't frame it as "likely" like I did in the conversation about him vs Robert and Jimenez.

But in the 2024-2026 latter half of our window, I can totally see Vaughn putting up .380+ OBPs with 30 bombs and 35 doubles.

9 hours ago, The Hawk said:

I would hope that whoever they bring in as the new pitching coach can fix Cease's delivery. His problem as I see it is his stride to the plate basically and that is pretty straight forward to fix normally. Maybe that high school coach who fixed Giolitto's delivery can Cease's problem also, although it is a different one.

My hope is the new pitching coach gets Lopez to work faster.  I hate his slow pace.  

• bmags locked this topic