Offseason Targets

soxfan49

17 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're desperately trying to resign McCann.  I don't think they'll trade Grandal but McCann will get the lion share of the starts behind the plate if they're able to bring him back.  

I would really as a fan love it if they could somehow resign McCann. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me from a financial statement given what else they need pitching-wise. But it would be still neat to have that guy back.

17 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They're desperately trying to resign McCann.  I don't think they'll trade Grandal but McCann will get the lion share of the starts behind the plate if they're able to bring him back.  

This would be a terrible use of limited resources 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, striker said:

One of the smartest teams in baseball does not consider him a full time player.

He shouldn't be a full time player. The smartest teams in baseball understand how to extract value platooning. Pederson has a lifetime .850 OPS and 128 wRC+ vs RHP. He shouldn't ever face lefties and playing in the ALC, he won't have to. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

He shouldn't be a full time player. The smartest teams in baseball understand how to extract value platooning. Pederson has a lifetime .850 OPS and 128 wRC+ vs RHP. He shouldn't ever face lefties and playing in the ALC, he won't have to. 

My argument was that he was pricing himself out of our reach. I don't think he is, because he is a part time player.

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't see how there is any way this is remotely accurate information.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Would you rather see the entire pitching staff revolt?

Rather they trade Grandal and include some cash if that’s the case. I don’t doubt you that the pitchers dislike throwing to him.  Stoney doesn’t rip on someone this much if everything is going well behind the scenes.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rather they trade Grandal and include some cash if that’s the case. I don’t doubt you that the pitchers dislike throwing to him.  Stoney doesn’t rip on someone this much if everything is going well behind the scenes.

Trading Grandal is such a terrible idea for this offense.  He is legitimately the exact kind of player the Sox need.  Good plate discipline, lineup balance / switch hitter, going deep in counts are all major weaknesses of the sox young core.  

Trading him and then signing James McCann to a deal that beats 29 other clubs offers just seems very.......dumb.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I think you're intentionally looking at it from this light because you believe signing McCann will impact other decisions you feel the Sox should make to the roster (which is very possibly true and a very real concern.)

However, a few things. 

1. The Sox have made it known that they actively seek the opinion of "team leaders" when it comes to certain roster decisions. 

2. It doesn't seem that crazy to me that players like Giolito, Keuchle, and a few others would make their feelings known that James McCann is on this roster, wants to come back (I'm assuming that, no actual info on that) and is willing to come back for fair market value (another assumption.) It's not like Lucas Giolito is going to Hahn and saying "You have to sign Bryce Harper to a $300 million deal, I won't stand for it if you don't open the checkbook." or "I want you to give up these three prospects for X player." 

3. I'm also not ready to believe players will "revolt" if McCann isn't brought back, but as a pitcher.....if there are two catchers on the roster and one of them is objectively better behind the plate and calling a game.......I'd fight for that guy to come back as well.

However, I assume our pitching staff is basically 2 people that they'd care about so really the question is how much Keuchel also disliked him as a C.

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

I think you're intentionally looking at it from this light because you believe signing McCann will impact other decisions you feel the Sox should make to the roster (which is very possibly true and a very real concern.)

However, a few things. 

1. The Sox have made it known that they actively seek the opinion of "team leaders" when it comes to certain roster decisions. 

2. It doesn't seem that crazy to me that players like Giolito, Keuchle, and a few others would make their feelings known that James McCann is on this roster, wants to come back (I'm assuming that, no actual info on that) and is willing to come back for fair market value (another assumption.) It's not like Lucas Giolito is going to Hahn and saying "You have to sign Bryce Harper to a $300 million deal, I won't stand for it if you don't open the checkbook." or "I want you to give up these three prospects for X player." 

3. I'm also not ready to believe players will "revolt" if McCann isn't brought back, but as a pitcher.....if there are two catchers on the roster and one of them is objectively better behind the plate and calling a game.......I'd fight for that guy to come back as well.

Dallas Keuchel pitched better with Grandal. Let me ask you this. James McCann is on the roster and playing catcher. Who plays DH on the days McCann catches? Grandal, Abreu and Vaughn are on the roster too. None of this makes any sense. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Dallas Keuchel pitched better with Grandal. Let me ask you this. James McCann is on the roster and playing catcher. Who plays DH on the days McCann catches? Grandal, Abreu and Vaughn are on the roster too. None of this makes any sense. 

The fact that there's no sensible way to have all these guys on the roster does not in some way translate to "there's no way the pitchers are that adamant about wanting to pitch to McCann and not Grandal". 

It sounds like @Harold's Leg Lift is suggesting he knows some internal goings-on, and that the pitchers have come down strongly in that direction, to the point where the org is trying to find a way to make it happen. Whether or not we believe it...

The idea that everyone on the team hates Grandal's guts and wants him gone is hilarious considering his 2020 season was basically exactly what he always produces both defensively and offensively (maybe add a bit more SLG but his offense was still good). If the Sox didn't know that prior to signing him, that's their own fault.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The fact that there's no sensible way to have all these guys on the roster does not in some way translate to "there's no way the pitchers are that adamant about wanting to pitch to McCann and not Grandal". 

It sounds like @Harold's Leg Lift is suggesting he knows some internal goings-on, and that the pitchers have come down strongly in that direction, to the point where the org is trying to find a way to make it happen. Whether or not we believe it...

I'm not questioning @Harold's Leg Liftat all. He gets good info. I'm questioning the decision making process of the organization if they spend real $$ on a backup catcher. Bringing McCann back makes very little sense. 

30 minutes ago, Tony said:

Correct. Gio has been very open on his praise for James, I don't know where Keuchle stands. 

The Gio/James bromance began during each other’s breakout seasons in ‘19, before Grandal arrived.  

So is it really a matter of people just liking McCann and not necessarily meaning they don’t like Grandal? 

I don't see it being easy to trade Grandal. Maybe the loser to a Realmuto sweepstakes, where you trade to a Mets or Phillies. You will need a team with a real need at catcher since teams may view that salary as a luxury at catcher.

• bmags locked this topic