Offseason Targets

soxfan49

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

It seems to me that signings will be few and far between until we have a better idea if there will be a full season next year and whether fans will be back in the seats.

Yep there’s reports teams won’t spend a dime until they know what’s going on

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

It seems to me that signings will be few and far between until we have a better idea if there will be a full season next year and whether fans will be back in the seats.

Yep, I'd assume a lot of February and even March signings. Complete stab in the dark since Covid is an ever changing topic - but I think we'll see negotiation periods between players and owners in all sports that result in mini-lockouts as they define Covid pay, protocols, etc etc. in the future. 

My current guess is that you'll see a shortened Spring Training, with minimal or zero fans. I think you'll see a shortened season between 100-120 games and with 25-50% capacity on a state by state basis, expanded playoffs and DH again as we did this year. My initial guess is that ST will start when the season normally would - and then they move forward with that 100 game season. So maybe 25 or so ST games/warmups, 100 games, and then those longer playoffs resulting in closer to 160 games all in. 

26 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yep, I'd assume a lot of February and even March signings. Complete stab in the dark since Covid is an ever changing topic - but I think we'll see negotiation periods between players and owners in all sports that result in mini-lockouts as they define Covid pay, protocols, etc etc. in the future. 

My current guess is that you'll see a shortened Spring Training, with minimal or zero fans. I think you'll see a shortened season between 100-120 games and with 25-50% capacity on a state by state basis, expanded playoffs and DH again as we did this year. My initial guess is that ST will start when the season normally would - and then they move forward with that 100 game season. So maybe 25 or so ST games/warmups, 100 games, and then those longer playoffs resulting in closer to 160 games all in. 

I would like to see them try to split the season in 2 parts like I believe they do in the minors.  That would keep more fan interest for certain teams.  For instance, the Pirates were one of the hottest teams in baseball towards the end of the season.  If they did that in the first half of a season, more of their fans would be excited about the second half of the season.   It would give more teams and their fans a greater rooting interest imho.

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

I just saw the report on MLBTR. Their hope apparently is that another team claims him and picks up his $10m option so they don't have to pay a $1m buyout. I see zero chance of him becoming a free agent. I would definitely put in a claim. If he made it to us, you'd have Hand, Bummer, and Fry solidifying the left side.

and a reduced closer cost from Colome

2 hours ago, bmags said:

brad hand for 10 mil seems pretty ideal even if it's not that optimal having both him and bummer as lefties. Though maybe this year 10 mill will be top of market 

I'd be surprised if he made it to the Sox on waivers.

Oh to be an Indians fan.  

• Like 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If the league really is focused on cutting payroll, this early in the offseason he might fly right through.

A very very very good (perhaps elite) reliever on a 1 year $10M deal?  I think he'll get claimed.

What the Indians do with respect to payroll probably isn't the best guide to how ALL MLB teams will be operating.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

A very very very good (perhaps elite) reliever on a 1 year $10M deal?  I think he'll get claimed.

What the Indians do with respect to payroll probably isn't the best guide to how ALL MLB teams will be operating.  

No, Cleveland does this kinda stuff, but what happens to Hand will be an indication of it.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It is a quick indicator as how teams are going to be willing to spend this winter.

• Like 1

Kolten Wong, Brad Hand let go. It’s going to be a 1929 style crash in player salaries. Kris Bryant sure to be released. Someone may take him for 10-12 $M. For $20M a team could pick up a whole bullpen. 

Edited by Baker

10 hours ago, Baker said:

Kolten Wong, Brad Hand let go. It’s going to be a 1929 style crash in player salaries. Kris Bryant sure to be released. Someone may take him for 10-12 $M. For $20M a team could pick up a whole bullpen. 

Kris Bryant for RF has been a pet of mine for a bit.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Charlie Morton anyone? Option was decline by Tampa.

Was hoping that would be the case, yeah I think he's a great fit that has seemed to get more durable as he gets older.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Isn’t the story that Morton will only play for a team with ST in Florida? 

I never give a shit about this stuff. If sox have highest offer let him make his choice on whether 1 month out of the year is that important (especially when he's 37.)

• bmags locked this topic