Offseason Targets

soxfan49

18 minutes ago, Vulture said:

Giving up multiple prospects in a trade rather than giving up the 52nd pick in the draft doesn't make sense to me. Any of those trade candidates you mentioned would require greater value than a single late second round pick, players presumably closer to the window of opportunity than that prospective pick would be. Giving up a prospective player with a ten percent chance of contributing several years down the road when the period of contention is immediate for a pitcher that would considerably enhance the team immediately is a small price to pay. Its not even worth a second thought.

Especially so since they drafted Crochet and Kelley last year...the former will push the starting role in 2022 and Kelley probably not too far after ('23?)

Young pitching isn't the problem. This organization has plenty of that. It's hitting 21-22 with a top notch starter that has to be addressed before Kopech/Dunning/Cease/Crochet, etc, figure the 2022 and beyond group. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

9 minutes ago, yesterday333 said:

The international money seems weird to me... normally wouldn’t that money already be spent by now since the period was suppose to start in July? Them moving back the signing period has caused some annoying problems. Hopefully if we happen to sign a guy with a qualifying offer it won’t interfere with anything with who and what we have to offer.

It doesn’t matter because the international money is for the signing period in 2022.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 hours ago, Flash said:

Don't understand the Stroman love...especially w/QO pick. Try to sign Bauer but target trade candidates (Musgrove, Burnes, Marco Gonzales, maybe one of Atlantas young guns, etc.) and pull the trigger.

Stroman will be significantly cheaper, and by all accounts has been about as good over the past 4 years.

17 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Especially so since they drafted Crochet and Kelley last year...the former will push the starting role in 2022 and Kelley probably not too far after ('23?)

Young pitching isn't the problem. This organization has plenty of that. It's hitting 21-22 with a top notch starter that has to be addressed before Kopech/Dunning/Cease/Crochet, etc, figure the 2022 and beyond group. 

You can never have too much pitching.

Crochet almost was down and out after a short stint.

A '23 arrival goal for a guy who has never pitched a professional game above a couple innings in RK ball his drafted year is optimistic to say the least.

54 minutes ago, fathom said:

Mets would probably trade him if they sign Springer

We can dream fathom... Would you give up Cease in a Nimmo trade? I'd strongly consider it, but Nimmo's injury history makes me nervous. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

6 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

We can dream fathom... Would you give up Cease in a Nimmo trade? I'd strongly consider it, but Nimmo's injury history makes me nervous. 

I would definitely trade Cease as part of a Nimmo deal

edit: I knew about his hand injury but just found out he has a bulging disc in his neck.  fuck.

Edited by joesaiditstrue

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You can never have too much pitching.

Crochet almost was down and out after a short stint.

A '23 arrival goal for a guy who has never pitched a professional game above a couple innings in RK ball his drafted year is optimistic to say the least.

He was in schaumburg this year getting advanced work and the scouts all said at the draft that physically he is there, just needs the reps. My point is the 2nd round pick in the draft means nothing this year compared to signing a stud. it HAS to happen to be competitive for 21 in the least, but really 22 as well (unless they luck into Kopech and Cease being amazing)

We should NOT be trading any significant talent for a perfect RF option.  Either sign the best guy you can afford or acquire one that simply costs money.  Any trade that involves controllable young talent should be for a legit TOR starter, whether that happens this offseason, the trade deadline, or even next year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Vulture said:

Giving up multiple prospects in a trade rather than giving up the 52nd pick in the draft doesn't make sense to me. Any of those trade candidates you mentioned would require greater value than a single late second round pick, players presumably closer to the window of opportunity than that prospective pick would be. Giving up a prospective player with a ten percent chance of contributing several years down the road when the period of contention is immediate for a pitcher that would considerably enhance the team immediately is a small price to pay. Its not even worth a second thought.

Apples and oranges. You are talking about giving up the 52 pick to pay Stroman or Gausman. I think they will take the QO so probably not relevant anyway. If you don't sign Bauer, who do you sign to take us to the next level? 

1 hour ago, almagest said:

Wonder if he'd be a backup and reunite with LaRussa. Probably not a great fit for us, though.

Reuniting TLR with Yadi sounds like a TLR move and a Kenny move. God forbids if Yadi is DH'ing for us on days he's not starting at catcher over likes of Vaughn.

2 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

This article is from yesterday but Richard Justice predicts that Marcus Stroman will accept his QO. Many others believe he will accept as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/predicting-who-will-accept-qualifying-offer.html

I don’t know, he deleted them now but he was going at it with Mets fans on Twitter earlier. Especially ones who were telling him to take the qualifying offer. Suggested that it was a dumb idea.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

Apples and oranges. You are talking about giving up the 52 pick to pay Stroman or Gausman. I think they will take the QO so probably not relevant anyway. If you don't sign Bauer, who do you sign to take us to the next level? 

How is comparing assets you'd have to give up to acquire one pitcher versus another a matter of apples and oranges?

2 minutes ago, Nokona said:

Gotta wonder if he'd take a cut-price deal to play for TLR again

I think almost all veterans this year will be "Cut price deals". A late 30s catcher who has been on pace for ~1-1.5 fWAR in value the last 2 years and is probably a backup most days? I mean probably a good chance in February he can get a big league deal, but if teams are aggressively limiting new contracts, he's barely getting anything this year.

• bmags locked this topic