Offseason Targets

soxfan49

6 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think trading for Lance Lynn makes all the sense in the world.  

I like the idea of not bringing in a starting pitcher for extended years, as it won’t block the young pitchers down the road if they improve.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

If that's the case (and I'm not mocking you) then we should just have Engel be the every day RF, and resign Dyson to be the primary backup OF with Leury being able to play out there as well.

Engel as a starting RF with a Dyson type and Leury is far from our biggest problem IMO.  Pitching, both starter & late-inning is this team's offseason need.   If we can upgrade RF...sure that would be great.  This team will score plenty of runs.  We need to limit the runs we give up.  My goal is a starting pitcher in every game that doesn't make me cringe and a bullpen that doesn't tie up my stomach in knots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, knightni said:

Lynn is past his prime (34) and is not worth trading anyone for when a free agent signing costs much less.

Have you not watched Lynn at all these past couple of years? If anything, he’s just now hitting his stride outside of a few bad outings at the tail end of 2020

2 hours ago, knightni said:

Corey Kluber is 34 (35 on opening day) and has had injuries the last few seasons (broken arm and muscle injury in shoulder).

He's now a free agent since Texas declined his option.

Would he at least be worth a flier?

He's only 5 years gone from 2 CY Young awards and the shoulder muscle injury was minor.

1 year - 10 mil maybe?

You go see him throw in a month and see what you see.  If he is healthy looking?  Absolutely take a shot at him.

7 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think trading for Lance Lynn makes all the sense in the world.  

It did at the trade deadline but apparently TX wanted the moon or ,you know ,we didn't think he was necessary. I don't think most of the board was in favor of it then. I was very vocal that it made more sense then than it does now since we can chose some FA instead and we could've gone very far in the playoffs with him. No one who is still pissed about losing to the A's but didn't want Lynn during the season should still be upset.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Engel as a starting RF with a Dyson type and Leury is far from our biggest problem IMO.  Pitching, both starter & late-inning is this team's offseason need.   If we can upgrade RF...sure that would be great.  This team will score plenty of runs.  We need to limit the runs we give up.  My goal is a starting pitcher in every game that doesn't make me cringe and a bullpen that doesn't tie up my stomach in knots.

There’s no excuse to not have a better platoon partner for Engel than Dyson or García. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No he's not.  Yes he is.  

Kluber at 34 had a minor shoulder tear that he's back pitching from after 4 months, and Lynn is 34 and Texas wants a bunch for him.

Kluber couldn't get 18 mil from Texas, but Lynn can get 20-25 and would cost us Vaughn, Cease and others.

Kluber has been historically more successful than Lynn and costs half and no prospects or draft picks lost.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, fathom said:

I like the idea of not bringing in a starting pitcher for extended years, as it won’t block the young pitchers down the road if they improve.

You can always move a pitcher.  Trading for one year pitching rentals is generally a bad practice though.  Guy goes down with an injury and you’re left with nothing.  I’m not against a Lynn trade (I’m one of his biggest fans on this board), but I’d be hard pressed to give up much more than say Stiever.

42 minutes ago, Tony said:

Dude, he's signed for one year. It wouldn't cost anywhere near that. 

I would hope not.. I'm saying that Texas has wanted the moon for him in the past.

I could see Hahn/JR/TLR parting with Cease for him and we end up with a Doyle Alexander/John Smoltz situation

Just now, knightni said:

I would hope not.. I'm saying that Texas has wanted the moon for him in the past.

I could see Hahn/JR/TLR parting with Cease for him and we end up with a Doyle Alexander/John Smoltz situation

I don't think there is any way Hahn is trading Cease for 1 year of anybody.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

good article until bruce decides to bruce at the end...Justin turner at third and let Moncada roam the outfield? Oh bruce. 

I'm not going to lie, I've thought about the Sox going after that Ha-seong Kim and then trying Tim and Yoan in right. I feel like that would give the team a lot of flexibility going forward.

4 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

I'm not going to lie, I've thought about the Sox going after that Ha-seong Kim and then trying Tim and Yoan in right. I feel like that would give the team a lot of flexibility going forward.

Moncada is a potential 6-8 WAR third baseman when healthy. You put him in RF and he is a 3.5-4.5 guy. NOT worth it when solid FA's are out there. Brantley can be had for a reasonable price, has great patience and plate discipline and is a lefty. He stinks in the field...but how good would Yoan be? who knows...and Engel is the late innings guy no matter what. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You go see him throw in a month and see what you see.  If he is healthy looking?  Absolutely take a shot at him.

Well, that will be tough. Another thing that makes this a weird spending environment.

15 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think there is any way Hahn is trading Cease for 1 year of anybody.  

From everything that I've seen recently, Hahn is no longer in control.

It's all wild card at this point.  La Russa loves his ex-Cardinals that are getting past their prime.

24 minutes ago, knightni said:

From everything that I've seen recently, Hahn is no longer in control.

It's all wild card at this point.  La Russa loves his ex-Cardinals that are getting past their prime.

I think you may want to go back and read the Speculation on TLR coaches thread.

Edited by maloney.adam

• bmags locked this topic