Offseason Targets

soxfan49

17 hours ago, knightni said:

Corey Kluber is 34 (35 on opening day) and has had injuries the last few seasons (broken arm and muscle injury in shoulder).

He's now a free agent since Texas declined his option.

Would he at least be worth a flier?

He's only 5 years gone from 2 CY Young awards and the shoulder muscle injury was minor.

1 year - 10 mil maybe?

Ok, I'm sick of watching talking heads parrot the same thing over and over about "early vote, vs in person vote," so I thought I'd circle back to Kluber.

On it's face, I'm against signing yet another geezing geezer to steal money at the end of his career. I'd prefer to sign Stroman as the big signing for this offseason. But, I have to admit that I envision Stroman as being the highest level FA that could be signed.

So, what if Stroman signs elsewhere? I still think the right play is to absolutely sign Q. But for a second SP, a healthy Kluber could be a good choice as well.

I have to underscore that I prefer to use the FA market in the offseason, and then either call up the younger SPs (perhaps a revived Kopech or Cease) midseason, OR trade for a TOR rental. For the either scenario, could a HEALTHY 35 year old Kluber get the SOX ~80IP of ~4.5 FIP to get to the trade deadline?

I'd think so. So, were I TLR, I'd secure Q's signature FIRST, then try for Stroman, with Kluber as the fallback option. IOW, get the probable 170 IP of ~4 FIP SECURED. Then, either the long term play for Stroman, or the rotation band-aid of Kluber.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

On the assumption the Cubs will reduce payroll and the WS have room, Darvish (3/$20M) could be available...especially if we took on Kimbrel (1/16M). Maybe add Happ to the mix and we solve for several needs in one stop. Guessing the return package would start with Cease but shouldn't be too rich due to Cubs shedding $40+M in 2021 payroll. Maybe something like Cease, Collins and Stiever?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Heyman predicted the following:

- Springer to Boston for 4/80

- Bauer to Giants for 5/150 (he said he’s heard the Giants could be in on him)

- Realmuto 6/132 to Mets

- Lemahieu back to Yanks 3/60

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1324082678610698244

If Springer can be had for $20 mil a year and the Sox let him pass, I just don't know what to say...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, knightni said:

If Springer can be had for $20 mil a year and the Sox let him pass, I just don't know what to say...

Cora is not a lock for Boston so maybe that would favor White Sox w Springer if Boston chooses someone else. 

57 minutes ago, fathom said:

- Realmuto 6/132 to Mets

Have you seen any Sox Twitter commentary on wanting the Sox to go after Lemahieu?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Showtime said:

Have you seen any Sox Twitter commentary on wanting the Sox to go after Lemahieu?

Lamahieu makes a ton of sense if Sox make a big trade splash and move Madrigal.

I certainly am not campaigning to trade Madrigal as I think he is a wonderful fit for this roster, but it certainly would be alot easier to stomach if he's moved in package for a TOR starter or very good RF and we turn around and sign Lamahieu.

Seems very unlikely, though. 

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lamahieu makes a ton of sense if Sox make a big trade splash and move Madrigal.

I certainly am not campaigning to trade Madrigal as I think he is a wonderful fit for this roster, but it certainly would be alot easier to stomach if he's moved in package for a TOR starter or very good RF and we turn around and sign Lamahieu.

Seems very unlikely, though. 

I really don't see Madrigal having some gigantic trade value that it would be worth it to deal him.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I really don't see Madrigal having some gigantic trade value that it would be worth it to deal him.

..... AND to then expose a hole that requires spending a bunch of money on DJ to fill it. Doesn't add up to me - that money will be spent on a position of need.

Counterargument would be that Madrigal is traded to fill that position of need (say, TOR starter), but again he doesn't have the trade value to bring in that haul.

I don't see this happening.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

- Realmuto 6/132 to Mets

Springer seems right price wise, I'd honestly take 15% off the rest. I think these numbers are too high for this offseason. Specifically see no way Realmuto hits that (and I think he'd hit 150 if he was a FA last year)

• Like 1

Ok someone tell me how I'm reading too much between the lines in this Passan piece.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30250219/jeff-passan-mlb-offseason-preview-20-uniquely-2020-hot-stove-questions

While teams are telling agents they still don't have their budgets, one GM outlined what his past year has looked like, and it is frightening for players. Before the pandemic hit, his owner had told him to prepare for a payroll in the $170 million range. By July, when it became clear revenues would not come close to what the team had projected, that number dropped by about $50 million. Today, it's closer to $100 million.

So there are teams that might spend. Who?

The Mets for sure. The Toronto Blue Jays want to be more than a No. 8 seed in the playoffs. The San Francisco Giants are starting to turn the corner in their rebuild and have a very creative front office. The Detroit Tigers want to give new manager AJ Hinch more to work with. The Minnesota Twins, to maintain their place amid the top of the AL Central, have some payroll space. The Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays each cleared big salaries off their books and could get inventive with the money.

Is there any logical reason why the White Sox wouldn't be on his list of teams who might spend? They obviously have a lower payroll than last year as of right now, so they should be on a list of teams who might spend unless someone has specifically said something. And how many other teams could have been in a much higher range, but then could even have the ability to get down to $100m this offseason?

19 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's Schrodinger's tweet: does the original "deleted" tweet even exist?

Yeah one scenario was going big with Bauer Stroman springer 

the other was Quintana ...something forgot rest.

Basically the tweet equivalent of *makes jerkoff motion with hands*

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

He posted a screenshot of a text conversation of a plan that included trading Cease/Madrigal/Adolfo/Stiever for Lynn/Gallo and then signing Kolten Wong to play 2nd base.

Woof, that’s a lot to give up for one year of Lynn and Gallo a FA in a few years.

• Thanks 1

• bmags locked this topic