Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Would LOVE Ozuna. He showed last year what kind of hitter he really is. 

He would destroy with the White Sox.

Terrible fielder tho and we really could use a left hander... but my god Ozuna can rake. .300++ hittter with huge power. 

Yadi wants a 2 year deal, will want to catch 75 percent of the time, can’t hit, whines when he doesn’t play and then we’re blocking Vaughn basically from playing at all this season if you’re not moving Grandal.  It’s a bad idea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm sure you know he could be pulling our legs.

I’m not Cishek but I was an attendee during Phil Humbers perfect game in Seattle. Got a free ticket from The Shell Oil Corporation.

Ok guys, Yadi may not be the best fit but I wouldn’t throw out the “not a fit” stuff. Last year everyone said Ozuna was “not a fit” and in hindsight I would have rather gotten him then what they gave us. If the Sox go with Collins and Zavala, we will all wish they had signed Yadi. The more good ball players the better. Obviously if he signs here there will be an understanding that his playing time would take a hit.

Edited by Orlando

11 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Ok guys, Yadi may not be the best fit but I wouldn’t throw out the “not a fit” stuff. Last year everyone said Ozuna was “not a fit” and in hindsight I would have rather gotten him then what they gave us. If the Sox go with Collins and Zavala, we will all wish they had signed Yadi. The more good ball players the better. Obviously if he signs here there will be an understanding that his playing time would take a hit.

And what happens when Tony decides Molina is better defensively and gives him too many starts while he puts Grandal at DH and Vaughn ends up losing at bats?

1 hour ago, Rowand44 said:

Bingo, that's the biggest issue here.  Yadi ain't going anywhere to be a backup catcher.  This is an awful idea and an awful fit.

Yep Yadi is going to have to come to grips that he will be making  less money, play less and is closer to becoming a coach than he is to getting what he wants as a player.

13 minutes ago, fathom said:

And what happens when Tony decides Molina is better defensively and gives him too many starts while he puts Grandal at DH and Vaughn ends up losing at bats?

We have no idea if Vaughn starts the year with the MLB club, heck he could even be traded. 

31 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Just because Ozuna was much better than what the Sox ended up with in 2020, it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a good fit for the roster in 2020, and still isn't a good fit moving forward. Would I have taken him on the 1 year deal he eventually signed?  Absolutely.  But he still isn't a good long term fit.  

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

We have no idea if Vaughn starts the year with the MLB club, heck he could even be traded. 

Vaughn, barring trade, injury or extension, will be up in late April.  Thats a damn near 100% lock.  He's not going to open the year on the roster, though.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Just because Ozuna was much better than what the Sox ended up with in 2020, it doesn't change the fact that he wasn't a good fit for the roster in 2020, and still isn't a good fit moving forward. Would I have taken him on the 1 year deal he eventually signed?  Absolutely.  But he still isn't a good long term fit.  

I agree but I’m a believer that you sign the best players available to you. Hopefully it’s the best fit but there is no guarantee you can find that best fit. Good teams stockpile good players. Ozuna wasn’t a fit for Atlanta either at the time but it worked wonders. Los Angeles operates this way. I would hate for the Sox to pass on a chance to sign a Molina type hoping to convert on a better fit just to end up with Collins. They passed on Ozuna, Castellanos etc and ended up with Nomar.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic