1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - TA/Leury 

3B - Arenado

LF - Eloy/Brantley

CF - Robert/Engel

RF - Conforto 

DH - Brantley

You just added ~$65M in payroll cost to one of the best lineups in baseball while trading three cost control assets and a top 100 prospect without addressing any of our pitching issues.  Plus Conforto is a free agent after the 2021 season and will be even more expensive.  Unless we’re suddenly the Yankees, this is one of the most unrealistic offseason proposals I have seen in some time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Let’s go:

Andrew Vaughn and Dylan Cease for  Nolan Arenado

move Moncada back to 2B

Nick Madrigal and Jared Kelley for Michael Conforto 

Sign Brantley and Stroman

C - Grandal/Collins

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - TA/Leury 

3B - Arenado

LF - Eloy/Brantley

CF - Robert/Engel

RF - Conforto 

DH - Brantley

Welcome to Soxtalk!

Latest Merkin article on the White Sox says:

The White Sox have another year of contractual control over Nomar Mazara, but the team is likely to look via free agent or trade for its right fielder. A left-handed bat with some pop would help balance this lineup, although right-handed-hitting free agent George Springer certainly wouldn’t hurt either. Don’t overlook contributions from Engel, who had an .811 OPS over 93 plate appearances to go with Gold Glove-caliber defense.

And 

A front-end starting pitcher becomes a top offseason target. Those hurlers could come via free agency, with players such as Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, Jake Odorizzi and José Quintana all available, or it could come via trade. Faith hasn’t been lost in talented young hurlers such as Cease and Dunning, but a team with World Series aspirations needs a deep front five. Kopech will return, but his innings total might be an issue after not pitching in a big league game since 2018. López and Rodón could be rotation options, relievers or even non-tender possibilities.

Edited by Orlando

Second base (1): Nick Madrigal
Madrigal had surgery on his left shoulder shortly after the White Sox were eliminated from the postseason, a planned surgical procedure after the rookie separated the shoulder sliding into third in a game against the Brewers. The expected recovery time is five to six months, which means Madrigal could be slightly slowed at the start of Spring Training. Madrigal hit .340 over 109 plate appearances with only seven strikeouts. He had a .369 slugging percentage, but the White Sox believe some level of power eventually will come. Both Danny Mendick and Leury García are second-base possibilities with any sort of Madrigal absence.

No they don't. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You just added ~$65M in payroll cost to one of the best lineups in baseball while trading three cost control assets and a top 100 prospect without addressing any of our pitching issues.  Plus Conforto is a free agent after the 2021 season and will be even more expensive.  Unless we’re suddenly the Yankees, this is one of the most unrealistic offseason proposals I have seen in some time.

Well excuse me for coming up with some outlandish ideas to try and make this team into a contender, I think this instantly makes us the best team in the AL, I did say add Stroman as well, which if that’s the case Cease is totally expendable 

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Well excuse me for coming up with some outlandish ideas to try and make this team into a contender, I think this instantly makes us the best team in the AL, I did say add Stroman as well, which if that’s the case Cease is totally expendable 

Ok if payroll is no constraint, let’s just sign Bauer, Stroman, Hendricks, Springer, LeMahieu, & Cruz.

See how easy it was to make us a contender!

• Thanks 2

Gold glove CF and 3 Silver sluggers (1 MVP) in addition to Grandal, Moncada and Madrigal is a strong nucleus. Leury, Mendick and Engle are plug and play pros. 2021 and beyond is all about pitching. The BP looks strong although closer in question but options abound. Challenge is finding a difference maker to add to rotation. I believe this must be solved for through trade and would look North to Cubs/Darvish or Brewers/Burnes. Neither will come cheap but you don't get if you don't ask.

5 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

No they don't. 

In 1972...at 26...Rod Carew at 2B had a .379 slugging percent...had a .318 batting average...stole 12 bases...and put up a 5 WAR.   I can see that for Madrigal...those of you wanting to trade him because he has no power...go look at Carew...elite bat control, good fielder, fast....never hit 15 home runs in a season but averaged a 7 WAR for 7 years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

In 1972...at 26...Rod Carew at 2B had a .379 slugging percent...had a .318 batting average...stole 12 bases...and put up a 5 WAR.   I can see that for Madrigal...those of you wanting to trade him because he has no power...go look at Carew...elite bat control, good fielder, fast....never hit 15 home runs in a season but averaged a 7 WAR for 7 years.  

Used to love the way Harry Carey would pronounce Rod Carrrrewww!!!

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

You really are a smart baseball fan.🙂

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Ummm....no.

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

So, I will have no problem if Nick Madrigal does that, but there’s a few things to note. Carew had nearly a 10% BB rate that year, Madrigal last year was under 4%. Madrigal last year, also a below average fielder and seriously bad base runner. 

At the very least, if he’s going to be a 5 WAR player, he has a long way to go on those key qualities.

We should not be actively trying to shop Madrigal and Vaughn. Cost controlled young players who are contact oriented with great plate discipline should be KEPT. Why does half the board want to trade these guys? Did you come from the Stan Bowman school of GMs?

• Like 1

After the year he had last year, the b****ing about the Rockies, the opt out and the contract years and dollars, Arenado should come at a price of Reynaldo Lopez and a bag of balls.  I bet he would clear waivers outright right now.  

There's no way I'm giving up Vaughn and Cease for any one player.  Ok maybe Trout.  Who else?  I think Vaughn is going to be another Paulie and Cease's ceiling is the kind of guy we need to take our chances with.  He could be a top-end starter.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If someone actually watched Nick Madrigal and came away comparing him to a fucking hall of famer there is really nothing else that can be said.  

Honest to god soxtalk is the dumbest fan site ever.  We draft a kid fourth overall who hit .360 in college. stole 39 out of 45 bases...stuck out 20 times in his last 400 college at bats who then went, at 22 and hits .340 in Birmingham where all bats go to die...then hits .340 at 23 in his first 29 major league games...and I have to defend my excitement?? Harold's LL saw some games on television and condemns this 23 year old as a finished...worthless product? Fathom comps him to Darwin Barney?  Why do so many of the Soxtalk regulars hate the White Sox? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Honest to god soxtalk is the dumbest fan site ever.  We draft a kid fourth overall who hit .360 in college. stole 39 out of 45 bases...stuck out 20 times in his last 400 college at bats who then went, at 22 and hits .340 in Birmingham where all bats go to die...then hits .340 at 23 in his first 29 major league games...and I have to defend my excitement?? Harold's LL saw some games on television and condemns this 23 year old as a finished...worthless product? Fathom comps him to Darwin Barney?  Why do so many of the Soxtalk regulars hate the White Sox? 

:lolhitting

26 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

And not to mention he played with the bad shoulder his rookie season. 

10 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Arenado is so overrated. He has a .793 OPS away from Coors. He makes 33mil a year average until 2027. He will be in his 30 or older the rest of his contract. Why the hell are we giving up great prospects and absorbing payroll to fill a position that we already have a star at? Hahn should be fired if he makes that trade.

• Like 2

• bmags locked this topic