Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Here are three pitching targets and anticipated trade costs. I don't know if any of these pitchers are available and am just guessing as to trade capital required. That said, my top target is Corbin Burnes and I would overpay for him. I believe he will be among the 2-3 best pitchers in the AL in 21/22 based on his pitch mix and improvements to his stuff as 2020 wore on. If you have seen him pitch, my guess is you agree. That said, Darvish would be a great addition and potentially, the least costly in player capital, especially if we take on Kimbrel's contract. I am assuming there would be competition from several other teams and hence what appears to be aggressive offers by WS. I would pull the trigger on either Burnes or Darvish if available. I don't think I would pony up for Marquez at this level but believe its reflective of what it would take.

image.png   

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, knightni said:

I'm not prepared to dealer Eloy or Vaughn at all.

Kopech is at low value right now and so is Cease; you're basically giving up your future for guys that have no guarantee of future consistent success.

I don't disagree. Just attempting to point out the likey costs associated with trading for a difference making pitcher. I would definitely target Darvish, especially if we want to hold on to Vaughn. The Brewers would likely insist on Vaughn because they need a 1B. They don't necessarily need Madrigal (have Hiura) but need offense in general. I would however move Vaughn as the lead piece in a deal for Burnes, although I can see no reason why the Brewers would consider trading him ubless they were blown away by the offer.

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

I don't disagree. Just attempting to point out the likey costs associated with trading for a difference making pitcher. I would definitely target Darvish, especially if we want to hold on to Vaughn. The Brewers would likely insist on Vaughn because they need a 1B. They don't necessarily need Madrigal (have Hiura) but need offense in general. I would however move Vaughn as the lead piece in a deal for Burnes, although I can see no reason why the Brewers would consider trading him ubless they were blown away by the offer.

If we're moving Vaughn, I'd want Woodruff  more than Burnes.

18 minutes ago, knightni said:

If we're moving Vaughn, I'd want Woodruff  more than Burnes.

I prefer Burnes but its not either or. You don't get Woodruff for a deal headlined by Vaughn. Woodruff has the 2nd most surplus value among all pitchers after Bieber and this board would be outraged at the mere thought of parting with the player(s) it would take.   

What in the world would make anyone suggest we move Eloy Jiminez at all???  He is already one of the best young hitters in all of baseball, is under team control for an extended period and will only continue to get better. I would not move him for Woodruff, nor for really any starting pitcher one for one.  

14 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

I'd happily eat Blackmon's contract to get Marquez assuming the return would be substantially lower than just Marquez by himself.  Blackmon, while not a fantastic defensive OF, would be a really solid fit.  He has one year and $21.5M guaranteed left.  He has two player options for 22 and 23.  22 is $21M so pretty much guaranteed he takes that.  So you're looking at 2 years and $42.5M and he has another $10M player option in 2023 which is probably a coin flip if he takes at this point. Its a lot more than he'd get on the open market (obviously), but if you can get Marquez with him without giving up any of the marquee young players, it'd be worth looking into IMO.  

40 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

What in the world would make anyone suggest we move Eloy Jiminez at all???  He is already one of the best young hitters in all of baseball, is under team control for an extended period and will only continue to get better. I would not move him for Woodruff, nor for really any starting pitcher one for one.  

Is that how you interpreted this thread? No one is suggesting moving him. If you want to talk about hypothetical trades for top-tier pitchers such as Woodward, you can be sure Eloy would be in the return discussion. Not to worry though because Brewers aren't moving Woodruff anymore than the WS moving Giolito.

2 hours ago, bear_brian said:

I agree. To me, Eloy has the greatest upside of any player on the White Sox. He is untouchable as far as I am concerned.

On 11/9/2020 at 4:07 PM, michelangelosmonkey said:

OK...I'm the Rod Carew guy...sorry he comes quickly to mind because he had a unique skill set of hitting singles and playing 2b.   How about DJ LeMahieu 2016 Rockies 11 HR's (In thin air of Colorado) 11 for 18 stealing bases and put up a 5.8 WAR?  Kolton Wong last year in STL had 11 homers and 5.2 WAR playing 2B.  Both of those were guys in their late 20's...full grown men...not 23 year old Madrigal.   You think Madrigral can't put together a string of those kind of years (like Carew did)??   Last year Rougned Odor was 15th ranked 2b (by OPS) and put up a 0.0 WAR...so there is a BIG difference between a run of the mill second baseman and a 4 WAR guy.  I don't think it's crazy talk to think he has a career as good as LeMahieu and he's averaged about 4 WAR per year for the last 7 years and only one year hit more than 15 home runs.   So you have a cost controlled 2b that does exactly what you want him to do...hit a lot of singles, field, run, be a smart player.  The idea that if we trade him we just pick up a Kolton Wong...according to Cardinals site Wong is the best middle infielder they've had in 30 years and that it was insanity for them to let him go...they cut him because he was going to cost $12.5 mill, is 30 and Covid.  If we trade Madrigal we are far more likely to have someone like Sanchez as our 2B and why, oh why, do we want that??        

Some forum members think Madrigal's .340 BA is nothing to write home about.  I will take it every day over the power hitters that get 25 HRs with .220 BA guys who are so desirable in some people's opinion.  I've seen enough of the EE types to last a lifetime.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Some forum members think Madrigal's .340 BA is nothing to write home about.  I will take it every day over the power hitters that get 25 HRs with .220 BA guys who are so desirable in some people's opinion.  I've seen enough of the EE types to last a lifetime.

I agree.  I understand the desire to push the chips into the middle of the table...it's been a rough few years and 2020 was exciting.  I just think we could be on the cusp of a super team...and if you look at the recent WS champs it looks like you NEED a super team to win the WS.  I don't think it is a stretch to see Madrigal as a 4 WAR player for the next 7 years...at 2b where fangraphs talks about it being one of the thinnest positions in baseball.  I love the idea of him batting second...and Tim Anderson stealing 70 bases.  They would drive other teams crazy...Madrigal never striking out and having the bat control to foul off a thousand pitches and the pitcher having to throw over to first to keep TA close...and then you have legendary lumber after that.  Madrigal just seems to fit too perfectly into this team to trade him now. We all need patience.      

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I agree.  I understand the desire to push the chips into the middle of the table...it's been a rough few years and 2020 was exciting.  I just think we could be on the cusp of a super team...and if you look at the recent WS champs it looks like you NEED a super team to win the WS.  I don't think it is a stretch to see Madrigal as a 4 WAR player for the next 7 years...at 2b where fangraphs talks about it being one of the thinnest positions in baseball.  I love the idea of him batting second...and Tim Anderson stealing 70 bases.  They would drive other teams crazy...Madrigal never striking out and having the bat control to foul off a thousand pitches and the pitcher having to throw over to first to keep TA close...and then you have legendary lumber after that.  Madrigal just seems to fit too perfectly into this team to trade him now. We all need patience.      

The ability to waste pitches and have 10 pitch at-bats is a lost art.   

• Like 1

The Marquez and Blackmon for something less than Vaughn as a headliner sounds too good to be true but man would I be pumped for that. Blackmon has been one of the more underrated players in the game imo. He's older yes, but the Sox are clearly goin for it next year, and Charlie friggin Blackmon would probably bat in the lower 3rd of this lineup. How crazy is that? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, scs787 said:

The Marquez and Blackmon for something less than Vaughn as a headliner sounds too good to be true but man would I be pumped for that. Blackmon has been one of the more underrated players in the game imo. He's older yes, but the Sox are clearly goin for it next year, and Charlie friggin Blackmon would probably bat in the lower 3rd of this lineup. How crazy is that? 

Lets say you're a fan of another team that loves power arm RPs and youre sick of getting burned by FA contracts to these guys.  How much do you think you have to give up just to pry Codi Heuer away from the sox?

Also do you think there's any baseball fan on earth right now who isnt salivating over the idea of Garrett Crochet in their org?

Not that id want to trade either of those guys but weve got tons of pieces with great value aside from Vaughn.  Its just that outside of him theyre almost all pitchers.

7 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I'm also really behind Adam Eaton coming back. Eaton in the 8 spot ahead of Madrigal sounds like it could be a fun way to turn the lineup over. 

Until he gets hurt 3 weeks into April and can't return until July, when he gets hurt again and comes back to play the ALDS, and then misses the rest of the playoffs due to reinjury

My Offseason:

Sign Springer - 4 years -105 million

Sign Kluber - 1 year -10 million + 1 option for 15 million

Sign Quintana - 1 year 6 million + 1 option for 10 million

Sign Colome - 2 year 16 million

Sign Hand - 2 year 16 million

Sign Molina - 1 year 3 million

We miss out on the top SP crop, and no trades materialize size we do not want to trade Vaughn and Kopech and Madrigal wasn't enough for some of the top guys avaialable.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

29 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

My Offseason:

Sign Springer - 4 years -105 million

Sign Kluber - 1 year -10 million + 1 option for 15 million

Sign Quintana - 1 year 6 million + 1 option for 10 million

Sign Colome - 2 year 16 million

Sign Hand - 2 year 16 million

Sign Molina - 1 year 3 million

We miss out on the top SP crop, and no trades materialize size we do not want to trade Vaughn and Kopech and Madrigal wasn't enough for some of the top guys avaialable.

They could have had Hand for 1/$10 and chose not to along with the entire rest of the league, and instead they’re going to bid 2/$16?

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic