Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I’m sure we have and if the price started with Vaughn in September I would expect it to be the same today.

Could be. Texas did that with Mike Minor and traded him for peanuts this past deadline. They'd be better off trading him now. 

This is a funny offseason for pitchers. To me there is a somewhat clear set of tiers, like an easy to translate "$15" game.

I guess I would put it as budget of $5, and you need to sign 2 pitchers, regardless of what you think of signing two.

$4 - Bauer

$3 - Morton, Gausman (I have to assume right?), Tanaka, Paxton, Quintana

$2 - Walker, Minor, Odorizzi, Kluber, Archer, Lester

$1 - Anything else

1 minute ago, bmags said:

This is a funny offseason for pitchers. To me there is a somewhat clear set of tiers, like an easy to translate "$15" game.

I guess I would put it as budget of $5, and you need to sign 2 pitchers, regardless of what you think of signing two.

$4 - Bauer

$1 - Anything else

I'd sign Bauer and roll with a cheap signing, but the kids we have now (Cease/Kopech/Dunning,etc) and go to war.  Give me the TOR guy.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

I'd sign Bauer and roll with a cheap signing, but the kids we have now (Cease/Kopech/Dunning,etc) and go to war.  Give me the TOR guy.

Yup, completely agree.  Give me the TOR guy and I'm cool with Dylan, Dane and Kopech fighting for 2 spots.

If I can't sign Bauer and I'm still going from that list I'll roll with Q and Kluber.

• Like 1

Just now, Rowand44 said:

Yup, completely agree.  Give me the TOR guy and I'm cool with Dylan, Dane and Kopech fighting for 2 spots.

If I can't sign Bauer and I'm still going from that list I'll roll with Q and Kluber.

Option A: 

Sign Bauer, roll with the kids

Option B:

of the guys on that list, I'd go with Quintana and Odorizzi. 

1 minute ago, Rowand44 said:

If you get a clean bill of health on him,  Kluber is actually my #2 choice.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I'd like to see Cease do a Crochet thing where he pitches in a late inning bullpen role.

He's never been a big stamina or control guy anyway.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you get a clean bill of health on him,  Kluber is actually my #2 choice.

I'd stay away from Kluber as I thought he had a pretty nasty shoulder injury and I'd be concerned about severely diminished stuff. Let someone else take that risk. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/corey-kluber-shut-down-has-right-shoulder-tear

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'd stay away from Kluber as I thought he had a pretty nasty shoulder injury and I'd be concerned about severely diminished stuff. Let someone else take that risk. 

He had a slight tear in April and he's already pitching again.

I would be thrilled if we signed bauer, but I actually am fine with Gausman/Odorizzi. Neither prevent us from doing anything at any other time, could be traded easily, and will be productive.

Though, Odorizzi may be a little risky for innings, but he also could be a buy low candidate.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would be thrilled if we signed bauer, but I actually am fine with Gausman/Odorizzi. Neither prevent us from doing anything at any other time, could be traded easily, and will be productive.

Though, Odorizzi may be a little risky for innings, but he also could be a buy low candidate.

Guys I'd target: 

Bauer

Quintana

Odorizzi

Walker

Had Gausman not received a QO he'd be on this list. He's not good enough to give up a 2nd rounder for. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  You give the guy a physical and get a hold of his medicals.  You want a clean bill of health.  But in terms of ceiling, there aren't many better.

His medicals don't tell me the quality of the stuff he's throwing up there. I'd want him to face MLB hitting again before I do anything. He's someone I'd grab as a rental at the deadline if he's back and still Corey Kluber. Not a guy I'd sign without seeing his performance first. That changes if he's really cheap, and if they go for him I'd like to sign another pitcher as insurance in case he suddenly has become James Shields in a Sox uniform. 

At the very least I'd like to get Kluber in front of a rapsodo before signing him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

32 minutes ago, bmags said:

$4 - Bauer

$1 - Anything else

3's and 2's should be combined into the 2's.. Leave the 3 blank 

• bmags locked this topic