Offseason Targets

soxfan49

NEW offseason plan with all the updated happenings.

This is my fantasy, but I try to base it in reality of course.

1) Fire TLR, professionally find a new manager and the pitching/bench coaches ASAP.

Because...Duh?

2) Get a Top of the rotation arm. 

a) Bauer ideal, but most unrealistic
b) Acquire via trade? Darvish/Marquez/Woodruff/Lynn/I don't know?

I don't know what a trade looks like, but you got to get it done! A T.O.R. Starter is needed to take this team to another level. Can't do it with Lucas Giolito alone. (Keuchel is not going to be good for long)

3) Get a lower level SP via Free Agency

Honestly, should be a lot here. Chris Archer/Quintana/Odorizzi, hell anyone just to get a body in for the long haul.

4) Find our RF option

We really need good defense and a left handed bat without being a liability on offense. Free Agency doesn't offer the best options (Maybe Joc or Jackie bradley?), so trade might work with Gallo or Nimmo or something a long those lines.

Other option would be to spend big on Springer, but as much as I'd love that, it really isn't a smart fit. 

5) Try to sign Vaughn so we can get him up to the Bigs as our DH.

6) figure out the bullpen by signing or trading for some options. Maybe go after a big named target if price is right.

This is not too hard

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Lynn is such a great fit for the rotation.  He can slide in behind Giolito and give them lots of quality competitive innings which is exactly what this team needs.  The bullpen can take a couple days off from the five and dive guys in the back of the rotation.  

The problem is he’s only got one year of control left and I can’t imagine he’ll come that cheap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Texas wouldn't take Madrigal.  They're buried in 2B Rougned Odor's contract, they have Nick Solak whose best position is 2B and they just used a 1st round pick on a 2B.  They need pitching.

If we could get to the second tier of starters for a deal, I am in.  No Kopech, Dunning, Crochet, or Cease.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I think I agree with this? It kind of depends on if the Mets go hard after Realmuto or Springer. But I'd expect it to be Realmuto, with Springer look at an Upton-like contract?

I just feel pretty good about the mid-level pitchers this year on short deals while we sort out our rotation.

1 hour ago, maloney.adam said:

I get your point but wow jumping off the cliff already? It’s only November 12th so relax! So far only one free agent has publicly come out and said that he doesn’t want to play for the Sox and most likely its because he wanted to go back to the Mets anyways. We still have a young promising team.

Not "jumping off a cliff", just stating the current situation. For every public statement player, there are many more not commenting publicly, but will just avoid the situation.

The White Sox are at a competitive disadvantage this free agent season. There is no coaching staff in place, the organization is fully engaged in unnecessary damage control.

There are many competitive teams with a good core. Players want to play in a place they feel comfortable. Tim Anderson, the team leader, is not comfortable based on his statements. Dallas Keuchel was the only FA signing last year by a player who could have signed elsewhere for the same / possibly more $/years.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

One of those would likely have to be dealt. Even for Marquez or Darvish as well.

Lynn has a one year deal.  If you are bringing back a longer term contract, that is a different dynamic.  Darvish shouldn't require as big of a deal as he has a ton of cash left on that deal, in a winter where cash going to be extremely guarded by teams.

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The problem is he’s only got one year of control left and I can’t imagine he’ll come that cheap.

I don't trade any top prospects for a guy who is only going to pitch one season. I he wants to sign a new contract with the Sox, then that is different.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Lynn has a one year deal.  If you are bringing back a longer term contract, that is a different dynamic.  Darvish shouldn't require as big of a deal as he has a ton of cash left on that deal, in a winter where cash going to be extremely guarded by teams.

I get you but if you want to go after the best, you have to give up at least something, jeez. I would keep Kopech and include Cease and another mid to low level prospect. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, maloney.adam said:

I get you but if you want to go after the best, you have to give up at least something. I would keep Kopech and include Cease and maybe Stiever and another mid to low level prospect. 

Then pass.  I am not giving up 2 top 100 pitchers for Lance Lynn.  

• Like 3

I'd definitely give up Kopech for players. Giving him up for lynn? Silly. Regardless of whether I think Kopech could still be good, you lose that bullet for another deal, and I can't imagine Lynn is the best option here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m posting this here anyways since we are in discussion about it and btw I’m not this guy so end of discussion there. If you guys don’t like it oh well. Lol 

I would hate to lose Madrigal. Thanks for sharing this Al.. I mean Adam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• bmags locked this topic