Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 hour ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know if this is where we are dumping our Off-season plans, but here is mine...

https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/11/12/21563416/joey-doughnuts-2020-2021-off-season-plan

The long-story short is this....

In summary:

- Fire La Russa, hire Fuld

- Re-sign Colome (1yr/$6M)

- Sign Springer (5yr/$115M)

- Sign Quintana (2yr/$20M)

- Sign Yates (1yr/$6M)

- Acquire Woodruff for Cease, Mendick, Stiever, Adolfo

- $141M payroll

That Woodruff package is fair.  Not sure the Crew would do it unless its a full scale teardown.

Id also pick Springer up at the airport for that level of pay.  

And Yates and Colome both back at 12 mil total?  Yes please.

40 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

That Woodruff package is fair.  Not sure the Crew would do it unless its a full scale teardown.

Id also pick Springer up at the airport for that level of pay.  

And Yates and Colome both back at 12 mil total?  Yes please.

In the link to the full plan I have more detail about the contracts there. Colome's deal has a team option for 2nd yr with a $1M buyout. So his guaranteed is actually $7M. Quintana's is actually $24M with the $4M buyout included, and Yates is actually $8M with the $2M buyout included. I should have probably added that in that short summary, but my idea was to kick some money down the road for Jerry so he can save a few million in 2021 on those buyouts.

As far as the Brewers trading Woodruff. I was honestly shocked when there was so much talk about the Brewers trading him during the season, but I just figured if they were willing to trade him 3 months ago in a playoff race, why not now? Plus, all of those players they would be getting back are either barely major league ready (Cease, Mendick) or are about to be (Stiever, Adolfo). It's not really a trade package a rebuilding team would go for anyway.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

3 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

In the link to the full plan I have more detail about the contracts there. Colome's deal has a team option for 2nd yr with a $1M buyout. So his guaranteed is actually $7M. Quintana's is actually $24M with the $4M buyout included, and Yates is actually $8M with the $2M buyout included. I should have probably added that in that short summary, but my idea was to kick some money down the road for Jerry so he can save a few million in 2021 on those buyouts.

As far as the Brewers trading Woodruff. I was honestly shocked when there was so much talk about the Brewers trading him during the season, but I just figured if they were willing to trade him 3 months ago in a playoff race, why not now? Plus, all of those players they would be getting back are either barely major league ready (Cease, Mendick) or are about to be (Stiever, Adolfo). It's not really a trade package a rebuilding team would go for anyway.

The only chatter was among #whitesoxtwitter personalities, and the board has never really let that go. Brewers fans were laughing it off.

That said, there are so many teams going for it, I could see why people target brewers as one of the teams that could trade a high impact player. But I think that package is closer to a Lance Lynn package than Woodruff.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I don't know if this is where we are dumping our Off-season plans, but here is mine...

https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/11/12/21563416/joey-doughnuts-2020-2021-off-season-plan

The long-story short is this....

In summary:

- Fire La Russa, hire Fuld

- Re-sign Colome (1yr/$6M)

- Sign Springer (5yr/$115M)

- Sign Quintana (2yr/$20M)

- Sign Yates (1yr/$6M)

- Acquire Woodruff for Cease, Mendick, Stiever, Adolfo

- $141M payroll

All nice moves but not even close on what it would take for Woodruff and Brewers aren't likely to trade him for a kings ransom. Think about what WS would ask for Giolito then add another $50+M in surplus value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bmags said:

The only chatter was among #whitesoxtwitter personalities, and the board has never really let that go. Brewers fans were laughing it off.

That said, there are so many teams going for it, I could see why people target brewers as one of the teams that could trade a high impact player. But I think that package is closer to a Lance Lynn package than Woodruff.

Not nearly enough to land Woodruff, but also way too much for Lynn.  But given that Woodruff has four years of control left while Lynn only has one, the difference in value should obviously be quite substantial.

Honestly, I think the Woodruff stuff is a total pipe dream.  I think Vaughn, Kopech, & Heuer is about the best we could offer that the Brewers would even consider as it would give them three major league pieces, but man would that be a giant risk for us.  I’d really like to avoid trading Vaughn as I think his bat will be critical for us in the coming years and trading Heuer takes away one of your most reliable bullpen pieces in 2021.

44 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not nearly enough to land Woodruff, but also way too much for Lynn.  But given that Woodruff has four years of control left while Lynn only has one, the difference in value should obviously be quite substantial.

Honestly, I think the Woodruff stuff is a total pipe dream.  I think Vaughn, Kopech, & Heuer is about the best we could offer that the Brewers would even consider as it would give them three major league pieces, but man would that be a giant risk for us.  I’d really like to avoid trading Vaughn as I think his bat will be critical for us in the coming years and trading Heuer takes away one of your most reliable bullpen pieces in 2021.

Right, I think that would be too much for lynn, but I just think it's closer to a Lynn package with headliners than Woodruff. I don't see why the Brewers would do that deal without getting a big time cost controlled bat.

6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Doesn't Chili have sources as well?  

I've commented here in the past that the Brewers line up as a potential trade partner for WS. They are great at developing pitchers, both starting and relief. They have a number of pitchers worth pursuing and my favorite target is Burnes (less costly and better stuff than Woodruff). The Brewers probably believe they can compete in 21 and beyond so are unlikely to trade key pieces unless they are blown away by an offer. The caveat is the financial reality of COVID and the very real possibility of no gate revenue again in 21. I don't know Brewers financial situation or ability to endure another $75-$100M operating loss but if I'm Hahn, I'm talking to Stearns every week. The Brewers need help at just about every position EXCEPT PITCHING and especially IF'ers (except 2B/Hiura). If we are serious about adding a difference making pitcher, Burnes is a perfect target. The flip side is parting with equivalent or even greater value and its not a package headlined by Cease, Kopech or Vaughn. Who knows...maybe they'd even consider moving Yelich' huge contract, especially after down year in 2020.

Brewers get: 

Vaughn, Dunning, Stiever, Collins, maybe a lower level lottery ticket

Sox get: 

Yelich, Burnes

Not sure how the financials work out and what could be done with the Yelich contract. I’d rather not trade Vaughn but a trade like this drastically fills two needs. Just something to think about. Thoughts?

Edited by JBabs85

28 minutes ago, JBabs85 said:

Brewers get: 

Vaughn, Dunning, Stiever, Collins, maybe a lower level lottery ticket

Sox get: 

Yelich, Burnes

Not sure how the financials work out and what could be done with the Yelich contract. I’d rather not trade Vaughn but a trade like this drastically fills two needs. Just something to think about. Thoughts?

Its likely not close to enough.  But if there was a trade I'd give up Vaughn in, this would be it.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Its likely not close to enough.  But if there was a trade I'd give up Vaughn in, this would be it.  

Just to live in la la land for a couple mins....

Trade Vaughn, Cease, Stiever, Collins, Adolfo and Matthew Thompson for Yelich and Burnes.

Sign Michael Brantley to play LF.  Move Eloy to DH where he belongs.  That is one amazing lineup.

Anderson SS, Yelich RF, Abreu 1B, Eloy DH, Moncada, 3B, Robert CF, Brantley LF,  Grandal C, Madrigal 2B

LOL.  You could pick that lineup out of a hat each day its so good.  So much balance, power and OBP.  WOW

Never happening, but yeah.  Fun to think about.  Sox would still need to add 2 FA SP, so JR would need to approve like a $175M payroll. 

9 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would rather have the Sox put all their financial resources into getting Bauer but maybe they don’t think it’s likely that they will be able to get him.

Don’t you know that Bauer is a huge Portillos fan? He eats there every time he’s in town to face the Sox or Cubs. So obviously he checks all Portillos related Twitter feeds. The Sox know he’ll read the stuff about Springer and get worried we’ll spend all of our budget. Bauer to the Sox confirmed. Should be done by the end of the weekend. Brilliant move. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?

As much as I'd like to believe some random unsponsored source purporting to have specific details on the bid/ask/terms for what will be the largest contract in WS history, at a time when even traditionally aggressive teams are waiting for the revenue picture to become clearer, I just don't. Sorry...hope I'm wrong.  

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

Guys Portillos is the only one that was proven to have a source between the big three : Cishek, Portillos and Al’s Cheesy Beef

My 2 cents on this Portillo's guy:

I definitely think it's notable that he got the Bummer deal a week before we knew about it. But think back to the Not Cishek account- people didn't start sharing his tweets for no reason. If memory serves, he got the Cishek deal (lol), he tweeted that Robert was close to signing an extension the day before he signed an extension, and he was first (even before James) on the Moncada extension talks. Could they have all been guesses? Sure. But I don't think the Portillo's guy deserves that much more benefit of the doubt. And I definitely don't think his word should be taken as gospel while people throw temper tantrums when a Cishek tweet is posted just because he was wrong at the trade deadline.

All that being said, I believe Cishek, Portillo's, and Al's are all run by the same guy in an effort to save his credibility, and it's working, as everyone is loving the Portillo's account now. But, if he's ever wrong about anything, don't be surprised if there's a fourth account that also happens to like, retweet, and reply to the first three.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic