Offseason Targets

soxfan49

22 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Just stay away from Cruz. How many old DH-only type players does this organization have to bring here to watch their careers die and fall off a cliff?

At least one per year man.  So for better or worse, we know the Sox are considering a veteran, homer-only type guy.  They can’t help themselves.  For whatever reason that’s one of their main keys to a championship roster

Edited by Jerksticks

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

At least one per year man.  So for better or worse, we know the Sox are considering a veteran, homer-only type guy.  They can’t help themselves.  For whatever reason that’s one of their main keys to a championship roster

I mean, if they actually are talking about Cruz,  that all but guarantees that their plan this offseason is to spend money to fill the RF hole and trade Vaughn + for pitching. 

If the Sox are going to trade Madrigal then I don't want them to spend money on Wong.  Assuming they won't spend money on LeMahieu or Semien, I would not at all mind Mendick out there.  I mean you are talking about swapping a #9 hitter for a #9 hitter.  Mendick's a good player and I'm genuinely curious to see if he has a little bit of Whit Merrifield going for him in a starting role.

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

They probably should have done some research on Grandal if they were going to be so bothered by him playing to his reputation 

They looked at fWAR and thought it was a great idea.  They must have missed the WS where half of Dodger Stadium was chanting the name of shitty backup catcher Austin Barnes IIRC.  And I'm sure they didn't watch any Brewers games.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If the Sox are going to trade Madrigal then I don't want them to spend money on Wong.  Assuming they won't spend money on LeMahieu or Semien, I would not at all mind Mendick out there.  I mean you are talking about swapping a #9 hitter for a #9 hitter.  Mendick's a good player and I'm genuinely curious to see if he has a little bit of Whit Merrifield going for him in a starting role.

Interesting.  I would totally mind a Mendick out there.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

They looked at fWAR and thought it was a great idea.  They must have missed the WS where half of Dodger Stadium was chanting the name of shitty backup catcher Austin Barnes IIRC.  And I'm sure they didn't watch any Brewers games.

Wong was a 5 WAR player in 2019 and is consistently between 2 and 5 WAR. He’s also a gold glover and lefty.

Edited by Orlando
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

Interesting.  I would totally mind a Mendick out there.  

Wong's price is probably the difference between a #5 FA SP and a #3/4 FA SP, or the difference between a mediocre MR type vs. a closer type.  For what?  He's not exactly a great player.  Supposedly he's a very good defender but the offensive production has resulted in him being thought of as mostly a bust in his history as a player.  I mean he's a career .261/.333/.384 hitter.  You don't think Danny is capable of matching or bettering that?  I definitely do.

Edited by YourWhatHurts

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Wong's price is probably the difference between a #5 FA SP and a #3/4 FA SP, or the difference between a mediocre MR type vs. a closer type.  For what?  He's not exactly a great player.  Supposedly he's a very good defender but the offensive production has resulted in him being thought of as mostly a bust in his history as a player.  I mean he's a career .261/.333/.384 hitter.  You don't think Danny is capable of matching or bettering that?  I definitely do.

I think Madrigal easily destroys those numbers for league minimum.  I know you’re saying “IF they trade Madrigal”, but maybe this just proves that keeping Madrigal is a super no-brainer?

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic