Offseason Targets

soxfan49

2 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Going off of my last posted idea:

Grandal + Lopez + lower prospect for Vazquez + Eovaldi --> add a small amount of money only

Keuchel + Dunning + Marshall for Darvish ---> keep money about the same; Cubs get to try to contend with a deeper rotation & bullpen

Madrigal + Thompson + Adolfo for Scherzer + cash

Sign Springer

Sign Colome or someone else for about $6-7M

Rotation: Scherzer, Giolito, Darvish, Cease, Eovaldi & Kopech

Bullpen: FA, Bummer, Heuer in the back, Crochet gets added later for the postseason run

C Vazquez

1B/DH Abreu

1B/DH Vaughn

2B Madrigal

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

LF Eloy

CF Robert

RF Springer

Bench: Collins C, Leury UT, Mendick IF, Engel OF

You traded Madrigal to Washington.  is the new Madrigal taller?

3 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Going off of my last posted idea:

Grandal + Lopez + lower prospect for Vazquez + Eovaldi --> add a small amount of money only

Keuchel + Dunning + Marshall for Darvish ---> keep money about the same; Cubs get to try to contend with a deeper rotation & bullpen

Madrigal + Thompson + Adolfo for Scherzer + cash

Sign Springer

Sign Colome or someone else for about $6-7M

Rotation: Scherzer, Giolito, Darvish, Cease, Eovaldi & Kopech

Bullpen: FA, Bummer, Heuer in the back, Crochet gets added later for the postseason run

C Vazquez

1B/DH Abreu

1B/DH Vaughn

2B Madrigal

SS Anderson

3B Moncada

LF Eloy

CF Robert

RF Springer

Bench: Collins C, Leury UT, Mendick IF, Engel OF

Who's playing 2B? 

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I know I don't come on this board much anymore, but is there really a subset of fans that don't like Grandal? I'm so confused. He's a slam dunk top 3 catcher in the game. How is this a real thing?

1. The things he does well often seem to be hard to notice.

2. The mistakes he makes wind up being very, very big ones.

3. There is a lot of talk on here by the insiders suggesting that the subset of people who don't like Grandal includes the pitching staff. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Is one of them a catcher and now they're desparetely trying to resign a.....catcher?

Even if they are trying to resign McCann, how does that contradict what I said?You said JR is tired of throwing money at free agents and getting nothing in return. Well, they threw money at Grandal and got exactly what they paid for. They also threw money at Kuechel and got more than most people expected. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You traded Madrigal to Washington.  is the new Madrigal taller?

I'm hoping the Nats will rebuild and are looking to get better value than a draft pick.  Don't forget about Thompson also.

Admittedly Madrigal isn't a Verdugo-like centerpiece either.  Other teams could beat this.  I just don't want to trade Cease or Kopech and I still want Scherzer.  I think a Scherzer-Giolito-Darvish top 3 would be pretty nice especially if we still have Cease, Kopech, Crochet, Kelly and Stiever in the cupboard after.

7 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The White Sox could get Nathan Eovaldi for a C prospect if they took the contract 

Yeah but we don't want to do that.  I wouldn't take on that $17M or whatever without also sending salary out the door and improving in another area.  You can't bet on him pitching a full season.

• Thanks 1

https://vendettasportsmedia.com/christian-vazquez-best-cather-baseball/

There are a lot of things on the internet.  But Grandal is often a dope and Vazquez is one of the top defensive C in baseball, and his offensive game has developed as well.  He's cheaper also.  He's just better.  

There was something I read in the offseason also about a scout talking about Realmuto being the clear #1 and Vazquez the clear #2 and then there's a big dropoff after that.  But if all you want to think about is framing or whatever than I guess whatever.  But Vazquez is still better anyway.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

There are a lot of things on the internet.  But Grandal is often a dope and Vazquez is one of the top defensive C in baseball, and his offensive game has developed as well.  He's cheaper also.  He's just better.  

There was something I read in the offseason also about a scout talking about Realmuto being the clear #1 and Vazquez the clear #2 and then there's a big dropoff after that.  But if all you want to think about is framing or whatever than I guess whatever.  But Vazquez is still better anyway.

I can’t 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

2 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I can’t 

I can't either

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

The Sox aren’t trading Grandal. He is one of the best catchers in the game and if we trade him, you can kiss our chances goodbye for signing any top free agents.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

1. The things he does well often seem to be hard to notice.

2. The mistakes he makes wind up being very, very big ones.

3. There is a lot of talk on here by the insiders suggesting that the subset of people who don't like Grandal includes the pitching staff. 

There is a lot of talk from one insider.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I can't take any analysis seriously when they spell catcher wrong.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Vazquez’s best offensive season was in a 60 game pandemic fueled season in which he put up a wRC+ of 115.  Meanwhile, Grandal has a career wRC+ of 118 across nine seasons.  Saying this is all about framing is beyond fucking ridiculous.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Fire 1

44 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

YourWhatHurts?

My head.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

• bmags locked this topic