Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I submitted this to B-R with Cot's referenced as an error on their page, I've got no idea why Robert is shown being paid so much more than Cots. It'll probably take a few days to see if they give an answer. 

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I submitted this to B-R with Cot's referenced as an error on their page, I've got no idea why Robert is shown being paid so much more than Cots. It'll probably take a few days to see if they give an answer. 

The only thing I can think of is maybe a prorated signing bonus?

Just now, fathom said:

I thought they meant extending Giolito to a similar deal

Yeah I just actually read it instead of skimming bolded names.

Oh well, thought there was an interesting "bullpen arm"+ for starting pitcher swap.

1 hour ago, EloyJenkins said:

If they are only willing to add 30 million in payroll this team is NOT serious about winning a world series and going for it. IF they can get Springer and a good starter that entire budget is gone. it's gotta be more realistic in the 35-45 mil range. 

If $35M added (bringing PR to @$140M), how do you allocate it? Springer plus Quintana plus maybe Hand or Colome? OR...do we add Springer and hope to trade for less expensive pitching help? OR...blow the wad on Bauer w/maybe a little left over for a flier on someone like Archer?

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

If $35M added (bringing PR to @$140M), how do you allocate it? Springer plus Quintana plus maybe Hand or Colome? OR...do we add Springer and hope to trade for less expensive pitching help? OR...blow the wad on Bauer w/maybe a little left over for a flier on someone like Archer?

I mean, the answer to this depends strongly on the best trade you can make. Are there any outfielders we could trade for that are in the salary range we could afford? Are they available or are their teams not moving them? If you added Springer, now you've got only $10 million left to spend, so the right decision becomes trading for a Marquez and then signing for or trading for a cheap bullpen person. If you sign Bauer, now you have to fill RF and bullpen for maybe $10 million or less, so what do you do to fill that role? 

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, the answer to this depends strongly on the best trade you can make. Are there any outfielders we could trade for that are in the salary range we could afford? Are they available or are their teams not moving them? If you added Springer, now you've got only $10 million left to spend, so the right decision becomes trading for a Marquez and then signing for or trading for a cheap bullpen person. If you sign Bauer, now you have to fill RF and bullpen for maybe $10 million or less, so what do you do to fill that role? 

Incidentally, Marquez is scheduled to make $7.8M next year.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we sign Bauer, I'm good with Engel/Garcia in RF.  This lineup should rake as is.  Hopefully we can bolster the pen with the remaining money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Buehrle5687 said:

If we sign Bauer, I'm good with Engel/Garcia in RF.  This lineup should rake as is.  Hopefully we can bolster the pen with the remaining money. 

Well, they were a top 5 offense in baseball...with their 1b having a true career year, so there's still room for improvement even just within the AL. There's plenty of upside in Robert, Jiminez, Moncada, but there's some guys who will probably step back a little bit like Abreu, and over a longer season there's injuries to worry about...so I'll say again, if you're going to spend the money on Bauer, you should do something to fill that RF spot in better.

15 minutes ago, Flash said:

yeah, looks like a trade is going to be part of the equation if they keep PR tight. I get that...I just hope that Vaughn or Madrigal don't have to be an overpay to make it happen. I think if you need to go economical to get more pitching...Jackie Bradley Jr. isn't a bad play. I want springer, but need to have a backup plan. 

I doubt there is much of a market for Madrigal, especially coming off shoulder surgery. The notion that he could headline a deal for Marquez is silly. I'm not even entirely sure there would be a ton of demand for Vaughn (other than Milwaukee and 1 or 2 others). I keep coming back to Tauchman on Yankees. A bit older but under control, LH hitting, some pop, can play all 3 OF positions and is completely redundant on Yankees (plus he's from Chgo). I'd try to trade someone like Lopez for him and let him platoon with Engel. Then, go hard after FA pitchers.

9 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Well, they were a top 5 offense in baseball...with their 1b having a true career year, so there's still room for improvement even just within the AL. There's plenty of upside in Robert, Jiminez, Moncada, but there's some guys who will probably step back a little bit like Abreu, and over a longer season there's injuries to worry about...so I'll say again, if you're going to spend the money on Bauer, you should do something to fill that RF spot in better.

JBJ and Colome?  Might not have room in the budget, but I think a similar combo would be nice.  I'd love to have Springer, but he seems like a very expensive want vs. a need.  I think a #3 or better SP is a need. An ace or someone who slots in at 2 puts us in super team territory.

3 minutes ago, Buehrle5687 said:

JBJ and Colome?  Might not have room in the budget, but I think a similar combo would be nice.  I'd love to have Springer, but he seems like a very expensive want vs. a need.  I think a #3 or better SP is a need. An ace or someone who slots in at 2 puts us in super team territory.

If you want to sign those 2 and then trade for a starting pitcher, you have a path that works. For example, you could likely do JBJ, Colome, Trade for Lynn, and still have money left over. However, whether or not that works depends on if the Rangers are continuing to overprice Lynn - you don't trade Vaughn or Madrigal for a guy with 1 year of control, no matter what Rick Hahn normally does.

Just now, Flash said:

Guessing Lynn can be had for far less than Vaughn or Madrigal but we would still have to part with someone of value. Possibly Stiever plus Matt Thompson (who I think is from Texas)?

I think if you could have had Lynn for Stiever + a sweetener, there's probably a good chance that deal was done at the trade deadline. The fact that he didn't just move to us, he didn't move to anyone, suggests to me that the Rangers had to be asking for Vaughn or something of that level, making it so no team would meet their price.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'd put Crochet in the untouchable category. LHP that throw 101 and have decent command don't grow on trees.

I'd move Vaughn in the *Right* deal. Like for Kyle Tucker. 

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Crochet mentioned much in trades. I know he looked like the 2nd coming of Randy Johnson but it's really hard to determine how much he will pitch next year and how his stuff will play when he starts. Plus there's a good chance he will need Tommy John just like most of our other pitchers.

What do the Sox do with him if there are no minor league games again ? He could be a key BP piece but that just delays the things he has to do to become a starter.

Kopech has had his surgery and the last pitch we saw him throw was 101 on the black to end a perfect inning back in March. 6 of his 11 pitches were 100+ MPH.

It's really wild the Sox have 1 lefty and 1 righty, that throw that hard, who can either be key pieces in the 2021 BP or make some starts and build up innings and spend a lot of time either in the minors or in summer camp.

If 2021 is a World Series type year  I envision both of them in the bullpen.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm kind of surprised we haven't seen Crochet mentioned much in trades. I know he looked like the 2nd coming of Randy Johnson but it's really hard to determine how much he will pitch next year and how his stuff will play when he starts. Plus there's a good chance he will need Tommy John just like most of our other pitchers.

What do the Sox do with him if there are no minor league games again ? He could be a key BP piece but that just delays the things he has to do to become a starter.

Kopech has had his surgery and the last pitch we saw him throw was 101 on the black to end a perfect inning back in March. 6 of his 11 pitches were 100+ MPH.

It's really wild the Sox have 1 lefty and 1 righty, that throw that hard, who can either be key pieces in the 2021 BP or make some starts and build up innings and spend a lot of time either in the minors or in summer camp.

If 2021 is a World Series type year  I envision both of them in the bullpen.

If there were no minor league season...I stretch both of them out as starters with a goal of each pitching 100 innings on the season before being partially/fully shut down. I do Kopech in the second half of the year because his arm probably is in better shape to handle extra innings in a playoff stretch, and I could rest Crochet and bring him back in late September pitching out of the bullpen for a handful of higher-stress innings.

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think if you could have had Lynn for Stiever + a sweetener, there's probably a good chance that deal was done at the trade deadline. The fact that he didn't just move to us, he didn't move to anyone, suggests to me that the Rangers had to be asking for Vaughn or something of that level, making it so no team would meet their price.

Lynns value is down considerably since last trade deadline and I'm guessing Texas/Daniels is a bit more humble. I think if he wanted much more that that, I'd pass.

13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you want to sign those 2 and then trade for a starting pitcher, you have a path that works. For example, you could likely do JBJ, Colome, Trade for Lynn, and still have money left over. However, whether or not that works depends on if the Rangers are continuing to overprice Lynn - you don't trade Vaughn or Madrigal for a guy with 1 year of control, no matter what Rick Hahn normally does.

I was saying JBJ and Colome assuming we're able to sign Bauer.  If we don't sign Bauer, hopefully we do a little better than JBJ and Colome, and trade for a SP.  The main concern I'd have is Bauer going unsigned through Jan, while these lesser players fall off the board.

• bmags locked this topic