Offseason Targets

soxfan49

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If there were no minor league season...I stretch both of them out as starters with a goal of each pitching 100 innings on the season before being partially/fully shut down. I do Kopech in the second half of the year because his arm probably is in better shape to handle extra innings in a playoff stretch, and I could rest Crochet and bring him back in late September pitching out of the bullpen for a handful of higher-stress innings.

I think neither of them open the season on the team. We will want the extra year for Kopech , I suppose how we end of using them depends on how the season progresses and who we get this off season.

I agree that they should be stretched out and I think 100 innings is a bit of a reach for either and without a minor league season the workload is is harder for a fan to ascertain. They both could play key roles if we need them to in order to make the playoffs and keep them available without being shut down for a long playoff stretch which would mean judicial use of them through most of the 1st half ,once again depending on the length of a Covid shortened season. I would hate to try to make a long playoff run without at least 1 or both or them available for stressful innings out of the pen.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think neither of them open the season on the team. We will want the extra year for Kopech , I suppose how we end of using them depends on how the season progresses and who we get this off season.

I agree that they should be stretched out and I think 100 innings is a bit of a reach for either and without a minor league season the workload is is harder for a fan to ascertain. They both could play key roles if we need them to in order to make the playoffs and keep them available without being shut down for a long playoff stretch which would mean judicial use of them through most of the 1st half ,once again depending on the length of a Covid shortened season. I would hate to try to make a long playoff run without at least 1 or both or them available for stressful innings out of the pen.

Kopech for 2nd half of season and playoffs absolutely. Honestly both him and Crochet with their three digit fastballs are most desirable later in the season. This gives Cease a chance to turn it around to start the season under Katz and either cement himself in the rotation or be trade bait at deadline. One thing is clear though...Cease and Dunning will be on short ropes next season since we will have a new FA starter (or trade) and Kopech and Crochet will be waiting in the wings. good problem to have. 

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Kopech for 2nd half of season and playoffs absolutely. Honestly both him and Crochet with their three digit fastballs are most desirable later in the season. This gives Cease a chance to turn it around to start the season under Katz and either cement himself in the rotation or be trade bait at deadline. One thing is clear though...Cease and Dunning will be on short ropes next season since we will have a new FA starter (or trade) and Kopech and Crochet will be waiting in the wings. good problem to have. 

My opinion: 

Kopech, Crochet and Vaughn stay put unless you're trading for DeGrom(unlikely) or someone like that. Lone exception is something like Vaughn+ a small add for Tucker or someone like him. 

Other young-ish guys(Cease, Dunning, Stiever, Madrigal, et al) are available for the right player. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

My opinion: 

Kopech, Crochet and Vaughn stay put unless you're trading for DeGrom(unlikely) or someone like that. Lone exception is something like Vaughn+ a small add for Tucker or someone like him. 

Other young-ish guys(Cease, Dunning, Stiever, Madrigal, et al) are available for the right player. 

I love the Kyle Tucker move.. But doesn't he only have 4 years of control now?  I wouldn't be happy to trade Vaughn for him

3 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I love the Kyle Tucker move.. But doesn't he only have 4 years of control now?  I wouldn't be happy to trade Vaughn for him

5 IIRC. It's a year and a half less of control, but fits the window better and removes a bit of the logjam from 1B/DH. Allows for the possibility of Jimenez learning 1B or getting moved to DH. Also fills a huge hole(LH stick, RF) 

If Houston would be willing to make that deal, it makes sense for both sides. Houston gets more team control, the Sox fill their biggest lineup weakness. Maybe expand the deal a bit and add in McCullers. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

13 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Yeah, with us.

It'll never happen. When is the last time the White Sox signed the big fish of the offseason. And I know this particular crop of free agents aren't going to be expensive this year. What I mean by big fish is that they are the most sought after free agents on the market right now. We won't get them.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Heyman today on the Big Time Baseball Podcast didn’t list the Sox as a contender for Bauer or Springer. Springer was Mets, Phillies, Red Sox and Jays.

That would be the safe bet, honestly.

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

Heyman today on the Big Time Baseball Podcast didn’t list the Sox as a contender for Bauer or Springer. Springer was Mets, Phillies, Red Sox and Jays.

I don’t remember who you want the Sox to sign this offseason, can you refresh my memory? I’ve probably asked you before but I forgot.

Edited by maloney.adam

This is just for fun:

My "All Whiff %" Offseason (pitchers/hitters who generated a lot of strikeouts previous year)

Pitchers:

Trevor May

Jake McGee

Trevor Bauer

Position Players:

JAckie Bradley Jr

My "All Contact" (heavy control pitchers and high contact hitters)

Pitchers:

Mike Leake

Masahiro Tanaka

Liam Hendriks

Hitters

Tommy La Stella (whom I will put in RF 🙂 )

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Springer, trade for a number 3 starter and sign Q.

I think there’s a good chance the Sox will do 2 out of 3 of those things but that leaves RF and possibly another bullpen arm into question. If they don’t sign a RF do you think they go with a platoon of a Leury/Engel? Who do think will fill the void of the closer spot since Colome is most likely gone? Aaron Bummer?

Edited by maloney.adam

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

I have zero inside info, but it would't shock me at all if the Sox connection to rumors is more for good press to push the TLR stuff out of the headlines, than actual fire with the Sox spending a lot this winter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I have zero inside info, but it would't shock me at all if the Sox connection to rumors is more for good press to push the TLR stuff out of the headlines, than actual fire with the Sox spending a lot this winter.

But if that were the case, I think the connections would be coming from Bob Nightengale and verified reporters like that, not from random burner accounts 

What was the point of this rebuild if you're not willing to spend when its time to win?  Obviously last offseason was a HUGE step in the right direction, but we still have two massive holes (RF and TOR SP), need some backend bullpen help and still have a relatively cost controlled core for a couple more seasons.  Things have changed economically with the current state of the country, but I have a really hard time believing JR is going to be cheap this offseason.  I also have a really hard time believing TLR would be interested in the team if they weren't going to at least supplement the existing team with good fits in those spots.  

Sox may very well miss out on Bauer and Springer, but other than those two, no one else that makes sense is going to break the bank.  There are plenty of ways to improve this team via FA without those two, though obviously my plan 1A and 1B include one or the other.  

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I think there’s a good chance the Sox will do 2 out of 3 of those things but that leaves RF and possibly another bullpen arm into question. If they don’t sign a RF do you think they go with a platoon of a Leury/Engel? Who do think will fill the void of the closer spot since Colome is most likely gone? Aaron Bummer?

Unless they sign Bauer, starting with Leury as your primary RF is a failure of an offseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

What was the point of this rebuild if you're not willing to spend when its time to win?  Obviously last offseason was a HUGE step in the right direction, but we still have two massive holes (RF and TOR SP), need some backend bullpen help and still have a relatively cost controlled core for a couple more seasons.  Things have changed economically with the current state of the country, but I have a really hard time believing JR is going to be cheap this offseason.  I also have a really hard time believing TLR would be interested in the team if they weren't going to at least supplement the existing team with good fits in those spots.  

Sox may very well miss out on Bauer and Springer, but other than those two, no one else that makes sense is going to break the bank.  There are plenty of ways to improve this team via FA without those two, though obviously my plan 1A and 1B include one or the other.  

None of this was undertaken with the pandemic in mind. 

None of this was undertaken with the pandemic in mind. 

Yeah, obviously.  I just don't think the Sox, more specifically JR, are just going to punt everything they've built and cry poor at this point.  But maybe.  Would be awfully disappointing. 

I also just don't think TLR would be interested in coming back if his buddy didn't tell him he's going to be after legit difference makers in FA.  

• bmags locked this topic