Offseason Targets

soxfan49

I think the Sox are working aggressively to land Springer but if they don’t get him than I think they will pivot towards Jackie Bradley Jr. or Joc Pederson. Either one of those will do just fine. Bradley Jr. is quick so an outfield of him and Robert would be something else. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

It kind of sucks that there is no obvious, easy answers this offseason. 

This offseason will be an utter disaster if any of the following happen:

1) We go into the season with L. Garcia as our starting RF or Nomar Mazaraa.

2) We don't bring in a game changing SP (think SP1, SP2, SP3) and depth.

There's some great discussion on names so far in the last few pages of this thread

a) Kyle Tucker - NOT happening. Some of you are insane. It would take Vaughn + ++++++ to get Tucker. Tucker is a superstar averaging something like 35 HR + 35 SB over a full season. 

b) Springer - I could see this as a definite possibility. Sure, I'd be ecstatic on this move, but I don't think it's an obvious slam dunk. He's a RH, older, and costs a lot of $$$$. 

c) Jackie Bradley JR / Joc Pederson / Kole Calhoun - Left handers that do fit our role. Jackie for Defense, Joc for power, Kole for power. I'd be OK with any of these.

d) My name to add to the list would be Andrew Benintendi. Definitely some risk with him, but young, left handed, athletic. Wonder what it would take to grab him. 

As far as SP goes...

a) Trevor Bauer - Probably put him in the no chance in hell  bin, but jeez... grabbing him would solve a ton of our offseason questions with no trade costs. 

b) G. Marquez - Rockies likely won't ever trade SP, but they should entertain it. I like the player, but I think the asking price is too much.

c) Lance Lynn - Most logical answer here, but TEX has been insane about asking prices and it has hurt them badly. I think there is a strong chance this gets done tho!

d) Darvish - If we can net him for a light package, I'm interested.

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

No way it's light. It just shouldn't be an overpay. I think Cubs only do this if they can't trade Bryant or Schwarber though. 

I wouldn't trade any of Kopech/Dunning/Madrigal/Vaughn in a deal for Darvish. 

2 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think its Springer or bust. The problem is JR will have to push his chips in without the benefit of economic visibility. 

"We offered Springer 5 years and $110 million dollars, with the last two years being controllable team options of $20MM per season.  I'm not sure why we lost out to the 5y/105 no option deal."

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think its Springer or bust. The problem is JR will have to push his chips in without the benefit of economic visibility. 

I don’t think it’s Springer or bust necessarily. You have Jackie Bradley Jr. and Joc Pederson. Both are good options for this team. You also have Ozuna, but the problem with him is he’s not good defensively but he can hit the cover off the ball. There’s Michael Brantley too but I think he’s going to resign with the Astros. If you can’t sign a RF in free agency than I would think about trading for one as a last resort such as a Joey Gallo or even a Cole Calhoun.

Edited by maloney.adam

2 hours ago, chetkincaid said:

It'll never happen. When is the last time the White Sox signed the big fish of the offseason. And I know this particular crop of free agents aren't going to be expensive this year. What I mean by big fish is that they are the most sought after free agents on the market right now. We won't get them.

Albert Belle & Carlton Fisk come to mind.

10 minutes ago, Soxnfins said:

"We offered Springer 5 years and $110 million dollars, with the last two years being controllable team options of $20MM per season.  I'm not sure why we lost out to the 5y/105 no option deal."

???? Where's this from?

8 minutes ago, Baron said:

Can I start a Twitter account named White Castles and pull rumors out my butt then get them posted on here too? 

I’m not deleting my post with Portillos tweet so if some of you guys don’t like it than oh well so be it. 

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I’m not deleting my post with Portillos tweet so if you guys don’t like it than oh well so be it. 

I'm not asking you delete it. I'm just going to give people shit about retweeting account called PortillosHamburger. Might as well throw out tweets from Incarceratedbob and Alex Jones too while where at it. Maybe he's going some insight into the White Sox offseason. 

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic