Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

An overpaid, declining 34 year old who is a poor to below average defender?  If you want a legit DH, just go sign Cruz.  If we need an OF, Blackmon is no longer the answer.

What if taking Blackmon allows an acquisition of Marquez without trading a major prospect? 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, Portillos is probably fake but it's fun, so let's roll with it. 

He's probably dead wrong. 

Portillo’s has actually gotten things right.  He may be full of shit at the moment, but at some point he had access to legit info.  Al’s Cheesy Beef is 100% a fraud and I’m almost certain it’s Ron.  He just posted this today, which is funny since Ron was literally just ripping on JoeCoolMan for the alternating capitals in his “Hot Fire” nickname.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Portillo’s has actually gotten things right.  He may be full of shit at the moment, but at some point he had access to legit info.  Al’s Cheesy Beef is 100% a fraud and I’m almost certain it’s Ron.  He just posted this today, which is funny since Ron was literally just ripping on JoeCoolMan for the alternating capitals in his “Hot Fire” nickname.

Lmao come on man. Alternating capital letgers, that's internet speak for being condescending. People do that shit all the time. 

Joecoolman did it before it was hip. He the real MVP. And I also don't have twitter. Never have, never will.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Lmao come on man. Alternating capital letgers, that's internet speak for being condescending. People do that shit all the time. 

Joecoolman did it before it was hip. He the real MVP. And I also don't have twitter. Never have, never will.

JoeCoolMan is mysteriously lurking right now, could he be Cheesy and he accidentally left his signature alternating caps in a tweet?

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JoeCoolMan is mysteriously lurking right now, could he be Cheesy and he accidentally left his signature alternating caps in a tweet?

He refuses to acknowledge his old title as "Soxtalk nicknamer" and his past history regarding HoT FiRe. He won't even acknowledge the nickname when mentioned in a post. 

You can't run from your past, @ChiliIrishHammock24! Admit to it or it will consume you!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What do you mean by spend money? They’ll make additions. Maybe one significant addition. They aren’t signing Springer and Bauer though or something. 

Just thinking about this post.

Let's say that Jimmy is right and they're not buying the big guys, that they have a major payroll limit. Obviously they still have 2-3 positions to fill. So, what would people rather do?

Trade away major pieces (Kopech, Cease, Vaughn, Madrigal) to fill those positions as strongly as possible

or

Sign low to moderate cost FAs to fill those roles, while holding onto the young guys they have.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Let's say that Jimmy is right and they're not buying the big guys, that they have a major payroll limit. Obviously they still have 2-3 positions to fill. So, what would people rather do?

Trade away major pieces (Kopech, Cease, Vaughn, Madrigal) to fill those positions as strongly as possible

or

Sign low to moderate cost FAs to fill those roles, while holding onto the young guys they have.

I'd rather not give up Kopech or Vaughn unless I'm getting somebody like DeGrom back.  But Jimmy's post just meant we aren't signing BOTH. We are trying to sign Springer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why wouldn’t it?

Because Marquez is a good pitcher in the prime of his career on a reasonable contract; they aren't squandering that to save Blackmon money.
They can trade Marquez for, judging by what people hereon are willing to pay, high value.  Then they salary dump Blackmon separately and pay 1/2 his contract or so; some team ...  ahem .... ahem ....would probably give them a decent prospect...

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

or

I think you read it wrong. He said they aren’t doing Bauer AND Springer. I mean they likely get neither, but it was t that they couldn’t make a big acquisition.

30 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think you read it wrong. He said they aren’t doing Bauer AND Springer. I mean they likely get neither, but it was t that they couldn’t make a big acquisition.

Well that stinks. James said last week that it was a possibility they could sign Springer and now he’s saying they aren’t going to sign him. I wonder what changed? Maybe the Sox are not offering what Springer is looking for? I now think he’s going to either New York, Boston or maybe Atlanta.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Well that stinks. James said last week that it was a possibility they could sign Springer and now he’s saying they aren’t going to sign him. I wonder what changed? Maybe the Sox are not offering enough money.

Again, all he was saying is sox budget wouldn’t allow Trevor Bauer (top free agent) AND George springer (top free agent together. Not OR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

or

I don’t think you’re reading his post right. He’s saying we won’t sign both Springer & Bauer, but that we possibly could sign one (and he’s implied on podcasts that Springer is far more likely).

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Because Marquez is a good pitcher in the prime of his career on a reasonable contract; they aren't squandering that to save Blackmon money.
They can trade Marquez for, judging by what people hereon are willing to pay, high value.  Then they salary dump Blackmon separately and pay 1/2 his contract or so; some team ...  ahem .... ahem ....would probably give them a decent prospect...

Fair enough.

• bmags locked this topic