Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Just thinking about this post.

Let's say that Jimmy is right and they're not buying the big guys, that they have a major payroll limit. Obviously they still have 2-3 positions to fill. So, what would people rather do?

Trade away major pieces (Kopech, Cease, Vaughn, Madrigal) to fill those positions as strongly as possible

or

Sign low to moderate cost FAs to fill those roles, while holding onto the young guys they have.

I'm expecting an offseason like the last one minus Grandal. If they want to go low cost though I'm hoping they find some way to make a deal with Texas for Lynn. Compared to what other pitchers have been signing for he's cheap for the production. 

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think so. He made it apparent in other posts that both Bauer and Springer weren't likely. Do you think he means they are trying hard for Springer but he personally thinks they won't get him ?

No he said Bauer AND Springer are unlikely. He literally wrote an article saying the Sox were targeting Springer.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

No he said Bauer AND Springer are unlikely. He literally wrote an article saying the Sox were targeting Springer.

I know all that . It's just he said the Sox are trying or going hard after someone and if that's true but he also says Bauer and Springer are out then I have to assume he either thinks trying hard won't be enough for Springer , or he knows Springer is now not an option but are trying hard for someone else.

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think so. He made it apparent in other posts that both Bauer and Springer weren't likely. Do you think he means they are trying hard for Springer but he personally thinks they won't get him ?

He means that the Sox are trying hard for Springer right now.  His other post was that both Springer & Bauer is unlikely.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know all that . It's just he said the Sox are trying or going hard after someone and if that's true but he also says Bauer and Springer are out then I have to assume he either thinks trying hard won't be enough for Springer , or he knows Springer is now not an option but are trying hard for someone else.

You’re still missing the emphasis on the “AND” part of these posts.  He’s 100% talking about Springer and seems to believe we have a shot.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That Jimmy post is causing so much confusion. All he’s saying is that he doesn’t see any scenario where we end up with both Bauer and Springer. But we are definitely targeting Springer right now. 

Edited by SoxBlanco

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He means that the Sox are trying hard for Springer right now.  His other post was that both Springer & Bauer is unlikely.

I just interpret it differently. If the Sox are still trying hard for Springer what reason does Jimmy have to say he is unlikely outside of the normal "it's hard to come out of top of such things ?" Seems overly pessimistic, which is why I'm hoping he means the Sox are trying hard for someone else. Keep in mind I always hope for the best.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’re still missing the emphasis on the “AND” part of these posts.  He’s 100% talking about Springer and seems to believe we have a shot.

9 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That Jimmy post is causing so much confusion. All he’s saying is that he doesn’t see any scenario where we end up with both Bauer and Springer. But we are definitely targeting Springer right now. 

Ok I get it now, it's the combination of Bauer and Springer that is unlikely. I thought he meant separately each of them is unlikely.

LOL i guess I couldn't wrap my head around anyone thinking it would need clarification that we wouldn't get both. That seems fairly obvious.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok I get it now, it's the combination of Bauer and Springer that is unlikely. I though he meant separately each of them is unlikely.

LOL i guess I couldn't wrap my head around anyone thinking it would need clarification that we wouldn't get both. That seems fairly obvious.

Agreed, but it was in response to a vague question about whether the Sox would spend money. Jimmy was just saying that he did expect them to spend, but not something crazy like signing both Bauer and Springer. Then the vague question was clarified by asking if he thought we’d go after one of those two guys, and Jimmy said that yes, we are currently going hard after one of them.

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

Agreed, but it was in response to a vague question about whether the Sox would spend money. Jimmy was just saying that he did expect them to spend, but not something crazy like signing both Bauer and Springer. Then the vague question was clarified by asking if he thought we’d go after one of those two guys, and Jimmy said that yes, we are currently going hard after one of them.

I guess I would've phrased it differently by saying we are not getting the 2 bests free agents on the market ,but are making a strong push for Springer. Or no chance on Bauer but they are trying hard for Springer. Jimmy's the only one I really pay attention to, the rest are just entertainment .

If it were me, I'd pay the money for Bauer or a top flight pitcher, hold my young top talent and find a more cost-controlled outfielder who you don't have to give up premium talent to get.  I'd also look to go bargain shopping. I don't see the point in spending money on a RFer when the rotation is where we have massive holes.  I'm sure we can find a decent enough RF'er without spending huge money and more likley not having to pay up a premium prospect.  

On the pitching front - I think if you can land an ace without having to attack the trade market, you do it. Problem is Bauer is basically the only guy. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If it were me, I'd pay the money for Bauer or a top flight pitcher, hold my young top talent and find a more cost-controlled outfielder who you don't have to give up premium talent to get.  I'd also look to go bargain shopping. I don't see the point in spending money on a RFer when the rotation is where we have massive holes.  I'm sure we can find a decent enough RF'er without spending huge money and more likley not having to pay up a premium prospect.  

On the pitching front - I think if you can land an ace without having to attack the trade market, you do it. Problem is Bauer is basically the only guy. 

There is some logic in committing your financial resources to the position player rather than the pitcher.  I’d still pursue Bauer above Springer, but if that’s a no go for whatever reason George is a tremendous consolation prize.  He basically gives you a positional core that’s more or less locked in for the foreseeable future.

• Robert = 7
  • Vaughn = 7
  • Jimenez = 6
  • Madrigal = 6
  • Moncada = 5
  • Springer = 5*
  • Anderson = 4
  • Grandal = 3
  • Abreu = 2

Honestly, that allows you to commit a significant amount of your talent pipeline to pitching like we saw this year with Crotchet & Kelly this year, Thompson & Dalquist the year before, and Vera as a LatAm free agent.  Obviously most of those guys are far away from helping, but if you constantly have an influx of cheap young pitching you can hopefully keep that positional core around while they quickly increase in cost.  To me, it seems like our best for building a mini dynasty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sugano is purported to be posted after the NPB championship series is over. He's looking more attractive as a second choice to Bauer with stroman and Gausman off the market if you ask me.

5 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok I get it now, it's the combination of Bauer and Springer that is unlikely. I thought he meant separately each of them is unlikely.

Well we did have that whole fanfic era of Sox signing both Harper and machado

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Well we did have that whole fanfic era of Sox signing both Harper and machado

To be fair, that wasn’t just fanfic. You had people such as Assistant GM Hahn publicly saying they were looking to add middle of the order bats, not bat.

50 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I see the Dodgers, and possibly the Mets as the only players for Darvish. If the Cubs have a total rebuild, they will want to couple Darvish with Hayward, and those two teams are the only two with the ability and possible desire to eat that level of salary and related “luxury” tax heading into 2021.

If it’s a pure baseball deal for Darvish, I’d quiver at what the Sox would have to give up. Madrigal would not be enough straight up, maybe a second piece.

• Haha 1

• bmags locked this topic