Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

Im not sure i want to get involved with Darvish.  That's alot of $$$ for a pitcher entering his 34, 35, and 36 age year. Not to mention the prospects he would require. 

I would think it would be a salary dump though so I don’t know if it would cost that many assets to get him.

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I would think it would be a salary dump though so I don’t know if it would cost that many assets to get him.

There are a few teams that would take on Yu’s deal, so you’re going to have to give up a good amount. 

Edited by fathom

9 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Im not sure i want to get involved with Darvish.  That's alot of $$$ for a pitcher entering his 34, 35, and 36 age year. Not to mention the prospects he would require. 

Looks like ownership has a mandate to cut payroll.  Not sure how much leverage they will have push comes to shove.

Edited by SouthWallace

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Ok so if you had to choose between Darvish, Lynn and Marquez. Who would you take and why? 

Darvish +100..  Lynn I dont have much interest trading a top prospect for 1 year.  And Ithink we are vastly overvaluing Marquez.  But if we aren't adn that's really his value, I don't want a part of it.

34 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I see the Dodgers, and possibly the Mets as the only players for Darvish. If the Cubs have a total rebuild, they will want to couple Darvish with Hayward, and those two teams are the only two with the ability and possible desire to eat that level of salary and related “luxury” tax heading into 2021.

If it’s a pure baseball deal for Darvish, I’d quiver at what the Sox would have to give up. Madrigal would not be enough straight up, maybe a second piece.

Why would the Cubs want Madrigal?

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Darvish +100..  Lynn I dont have much interest trading a top prospect for 1 year.  And Ithink we are vastly overvaluing Marquez.  But if we aren't adn that's really his value, I don't want a part of it.

I agree. I think we would be giving up too much for a one year rental in Lynn unless we think we can sign him to a contract. Marquez is interesting but is he worth giving up assets for and someone that will be a difference maker for this team in the playoffs? I don’t think so. 

Edited by maloney.adam

30 minutes ago, fathom said:

There are a few teams that would take on Yu’s deal, so you’re going to have to give up a good amount. 

Do you think a Madrigal, Thompson, and like Ty Johnson gets this done? Considering the cash involved 

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

I don't. I think we would take on his salary.  That's why I was hoping it then would mean lighter return of prospects to them.

Of course we would take on his salary. Its quite reasonable. My sense is Cubs will want to package him with a less reasonable salary like Kimbrel, in which case we might insist on cash back. I could see Darvish and Kimbrel plus cash for Cease and fillers. 

20 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Do you think a Madrigal, Thompson, and like Ty Johnson gets this done? Considering the cash involved 

Nope...a team like the Angels could offer a much better prospect like Marsh.  Cubs have no use at all for Madrigal.  Mets and Twins would also be interested in Yu, IMO.

Edited by fathom

• bmags locked this topic