Offseason Targets

soxfan49

9 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

BTW, Joe Musgrove would be a huge get.

That guy could be in Cy Young contention next year. 

IDK about Cy Young contention, but he's been quietly good for a few years now. His K/9 numbers last year were insane in his 8 starts. 

He's also arb 2 already in 2021, so he shouldn't come at a huge price. 

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imagine the ammunition you would have had if it was .240 in those 29 games. And yet the Madrigal bashers seem to always mention his bad base running, baseball IQ , and bad fielding that occurred in those 29 games.

The guy has enough fielding, baserunning and baseball IQ blunders to fill an entire regular season. 

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

The guy has enough fielding, baserunning and baseball IQ blunders to fill an entire regular season. 

So those things count and his .340 BA and his 108 OPS + don't . Got it. So rookie mistakes and errors can't be fixed and he can't possibly make adjustments and wait til the pitchers make adjustments to him and outfielders play right behind the infield and he will be useless. I understand now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So those things count and his .340 BA and his 108 OPS + don't . Got it. So rookie mistakes and errors can't be fixed and he can't possibly make adjustments and wait til the pitchers make adjustments to him and outfielders play right behind the infield and he will be useless. I understand now.

Errors he made with a bum shoulder as well 

4 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Errors he made with a bum shoulder as well 

Bum shoulder causes you to act like you’ve never played a ball near the lip of the grass before?  Again, it doesn’t really matter what we think. From the sounds of it, the Sox aren’t as high on him as they used to be.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Imagine the ammunition you would have had if it was .240 in those 29 games. And yet the Madrigal bashers seem to always mention his bad base running, baseball IQ , and bad fielding that occurred in those 29 games.

I don't know who you're talking about but I mention his low impact, lack of power and lack of speed.  

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Meh, Madrigal feels like the "subtle racism of lowered expectations," in that he's a small white guy, so OF COURSE he's "baseball smart," "good at defense," and "a grinder," right?

I can forgive physical mistakes, given his injuries. But his moronic baserunning bothered me, TBH. If he's here in '21, I hope he gets his shit sorted. If he's traded this offseason, I won't lose too much sleep over it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This should be the end of the discussion. 

It's a new day and I'm off today so it's time to get some random chatter going in here. 

Offseason:

Trade for Musgrove (Stevier? IDK)

Trade for Blackmon (just take him on)

Trade for Darvish or Lynn (whatever allows us to keep MAdrigal/Vaughn/Kopech)

Sign some RP/backup defense

boom im happy

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

It's a new day and I'm off today so it's time to get some random chatter going in here. 

Offseason:

Trade for Musgrove (Stevier? IDK)

Trade for Blackmon (just take him on)

Trade for Darvish or Lynn (whatever allows us to keep MAdrigal/Vaughn/Kopech)

Sign some RP/backup defense

boom im happy

Why are we “just taking” Blackmon and his $21M salary when $25M/year probably gets you an immensely better player in Springer?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Meh, Madrigal feels like the "subtle racism of lowered expectations," in that he's a small white guy, so OF COURSE he's "baseball smart," "good at defense," and "a grinder," right?

I can forgive physical mistakes, given his injuries. But his moronic baserunning bothered me, TBH. If he's here in '21, I hope he gets his shit sorted. If he's traded this offseason, I won't lose too much sleep over it.

I get where you’re coming from on the racial part and have wondered how that fit the description of this player as well, but the other part with Madrigal is that we are talking about the number 4 overall pick. He has an excellent hit tool but zero power, and that lack of power doesn’t justify being drafted that highly unless he also is strong in other aspects of the game. People have talked here about him stealing a lot of bases at a high clip and just taking over the gold glove awards at 2b. If he had a good chance of doing that, then the draft pick makes sense without the lack of power. If he can’t do things like that, then the draft selection made no sense.

One would certainly hope that the organization could look past the “Grindy little white guy” stuff while evaluating a multi million dollar decision.

But then, the White Sox really did lose all benefit of the doubt on this issue this offseason.

• Thanks 1

I can see both sides of the Madrigal debate.  Personally, I think the errors are less of an indicator of the type of baseball player he'll be than his abilities at the plate.  However, I think his spot would be the easiest to fill if he were traded.  There are plenty of decent to good stop gap players available, and if trading Madrigal gets you the SP you need, you pull the trigger.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we “just taking” Blackmon and his $21M salary when $25M/year probably gets you an immensely better player in Springer?

True. 

Springer has competition from Blue Jays/Mets/others. Chance that we do not get him.

Could say that we take on Blackmon + Marquez or Blackmon + ____

3 offseason moves for a ring...

1) trade for Darvish...guessing Cease and sweetener gets it done (Rodon seems like a guy Cubs might feel they can wring some mileage out of)

2) blockbuster trade with Milwaukee for Burnes...yes, this will likely require sending Brewers one of our key pieces we are all so emotionally attached to

3) sign Colome and/or Hand

These moves likely consume any available budget so we go with what we have in RF which I'm fine with if it means 1) Giolito 2) Burnes 3) Darvish 4) Keuchel 5) Dunning/Kopech

The biggest challenge will be to pry Burnes away from Brewers but, if we can get over the initial angst of dealing one of our beloved, this rotation and lineup might win 105-110 games for each of the next 3 years and beyond.  

• bmags locked this topic