Offseason Targets

soxfan49

My final word on the matter...I believe the WS might be 1-2 difference making pitchers from challenging for rings as early as 2021. We all know Bauer is in play but most of us are skeptical we'll attract him (hope I'm wrong). I see no other difference making FA pitchers on the market and believe the path is through trade. I'd speculate Darvish could be available and, if so, I would go aggressively for him. If that is all we add (plus a closer), we can make it interesting but will be heavily reliant on Dunning, Kopech and Cease (assuming none are moved). My view of Corbin Burnes is on record. I think he is better than Woodruff, as do a number of my friends who follow Brewers baseball. To my knowledge, he is not on the market but you don't get if you don't ask. He might be the best pitcher we can hope to target in trade but the best costs. We can quibble about the potential of Eloy and/or Vaughn and their relative value to WS. I get the Eloy love but he is a DH who we hide in LF and, as long as Abreu is around, we have DH covered. You can argue all you want about whether Burnes is the real deal but, if you stipulate he is (as I believe), and there is any chance Brewers would entertain trading him, our chances for a ring in 21 would be significantly stronger than retaining either Eloy or Vaughn...especially if we could also land Darvish, which was the point of my original post. Carry on...  

10 minutes ago, Capital G said:

If they Cubs are truly selling/rebuilding I wonder if we can get Darvish on the cheap if we also take on Heyward.

I would not mind having him in RF if we land Darvish and not have to give up anyone on the MLB roster or Vaughn.

this would be so, so good

2 hours ago, Flash said:

I'm very high on Burnes. I believe he has figured it out and will be among the best pitchers in the game (as he was in '20) for years to come. Of course there is always injury risk but you can't plan trades around it. As for Eloy, I don't disagree he can hit 40+ HRs/yr. and I'd prefer not trading him but can't come up with anyone else, other than maybe TA or Robert who might be of interest to Brewers. If we can package Vaughn as a headliner, I'd do that, but I stand by my belief that Burnes will be worth more wins than any of our positional players with the posible aforementioned exceptions. And if we can pull off acquiring Darvish AND Burnes.......

I mean, I think everyone on this site can agree that this is clearly a lie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Capital G said:

If they Cubs are truly selling/rebuilding I wonder if we can get Darvish on the cheap if we also take on Heyward.

I would not mind having him in RF if we land Darvish and not have to give up anyone on the MLB roster or Vaughn.

The Sox aren't taking on that much salary in the best of times, and we are in the worst of times, a legitimate once in a century black swan event. The Dodgers and possibly the Mets are the only two teams which may consider taking on both of those salaries this off-season

3 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I get where you’re coming from on the racial part and have wondered how that fit the description of this player as well, but the other part with Madrigal is that we are talking about the number 4 overall pick. He has an excellent hit tool but zero power, and that lack of power doesn’t justify being drafted that highly unless he also is strong in other aspects of the game. People have talked here about him stealing a lot of bases at a high clip and just taking over the gold glove awards at 2b. If he had a good chance of doing that, then the draft pick makes sense without the lack of power. If he can’t do things like that, then the draft selection made no sense.

One would certainly hope that the organization could look past the “Grindy little white guy” stuff while evaluating a multi million dollar decision.

But then, the White Sox really did lose all benefit of the doubt on this issue this offseason.

Yeah, I agree with all of this.

While I didn't have a problem with the pick when it happened, I made the moronic assumption that this org did all their homework on a guy who needed ALL of his tangibles and intangibles to be beyond dispute. Did they make this kid do the wonderlic, or did they take a look at him and ASSUME he was "smart?"

I'm guessing the latter, as this org has a proclivity to leave things to chance more often than they should. I hope you & I are wrong about this kid, and that his miscues csn be overcome going forward.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I just need the white Sox to make a move so the awful takes can stop

I know it’s very quiet right now. No rumors or anything. I’m thinking either by Thanksgiving or the non-tender deadline things will start picking up a little bit. We just have to be patient. 

Edited by maloney.adam

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think we'll see much free agency activity until after the non-tender deadline which is on December 2nd.

True. Also, why don’t they just make the non-tender date the day before adding players to the 40-man (which would be today)? If there’s a good reason why they do it this way, I’m all ears.

11 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I don't think we'll see much free agency activity until after the non-tender deadline which is on December 2nd.

You also have two teams expected to be the most aggressive in terms of making changes this offseason without a GM (Mets and Cubs).  

• bmags locked this topic