Offseason Targets

soxfan49

I missed that Trevor Williams was DFAd and has enough time he’ll be a FA. Seemed like an awful fit last year, but I wonder if Sox sniff him out as a milb contract if the rumored interest last year was real.

There has also been some smoke that pirates may put brault on the trade block. Not a huge fan but maybe a plan E or F.

• Thanks 1

I know everyone gets their "pet" idea to solve all the sox offseason problems each year.  I have had some that I keep coming back to. So I have a few trade pairings from the same club and was interested which one you think would help the Sox most for the 2021 season only to win.  Assume the trade package would be equal/fair or even substantial to all the things that have been thrown out on this strand.  I look forward to hearing your answers.

Hader and Cain

Blackmon and Marquez

Lynn and Gallo

Heyward and Darvish

Merrifield and Duffy

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

I know everyone gets their "pet" idea to solve all the sox offseason problems each year.  I have had some that I keep coming back to. So I have a few trade pairings from the same club and was interested which one you think would help the Sox most for the 2021 season only to win.  Assume the trade package would be equal/fair or even substantial to all the things that have been thrown out on this strand.  I look forward to hearing your answers.

Hader and Cain

Blackmon and Marquez

Lynn and Gallo

Heyward and Darvish

Merrifield and Duffy

Without doing any research I’d say Lynn & Gallo

57 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Except you're ignoring the most important factor: MLB readiness. Eloy was at A+ and Cease was at A. Kopech has seen time in MLB, and Vaughn would probably be AA or higher in a normal year. The White Sox think he could be on the MLB roster in 2021. That's why the comparison is ridiculous.

This this this. I feel like a broken record talking about this point. All these guys we are listing in potential trade are basically MLB ready. They are much less likely to bust. 

At the time of the Sale trade, it wasn't even a sure thing Kopech would stay a starter. Moncada's hit tool had some major question marks due to his strikeout rate. The bust potential was much higher. 

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But that’s what I’m asking, what objective data was ignored?  He literally claimed a guy who is universally considered a top 50 prospect by all major publications isn’t a top 50 prospect because “Soxtalk wants to get rid of him”.

Don't know. Didn't even know his trade proposal until you pasted it from BTVs.  

30 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

Hader and Cain

Blackmon and Marquez

Lynn and Gallo

Heyward and Darvish

Merrifield and Duffy

Heyward and Darvish should come with a ton of cash if we did that, but the fit is good enough.  We also shouldn't give up too much in that.

I don't really want to trade with Texas.  I'd rather sign Lynn as a FA and I don't want Gallo at all.

Marquez would be nice, but Blackmon wouldn't improve our defense.  Now if we moved Blackmon to LF and Eloy to DH and still got a RF then out OF D would be significantly better, but then we would have to either move Abreu or Vaughn, or delay Vaughn until midseason or longer.

I'm not really interested in dealing with the Royals either.  I'll just say it too: Merrifield is a pretty shitty RF.  He's still a 2B in RF IMO.  I would be interested if the Sox trade Madrigal but even if that was the case I'd much rather put Mendick out there than give up whatever the Royals will ask for Merrifield.

I don't think Hader fits that well here.  I think Hader would be a good fit for the Yankees who have several pieces like Cessa, Loaisiga, Montgomery, etc. that they can trade now and then they can add some lower-level talent to the package, and that might be good for MIL if they rebuild/reload.

Cain OTOH is interesting but he's best utilized as a CF and we're not moving Robert.  I really don't think MIL is a fit for us unless they make Yelich available which they won't, and I think Woodruff would be way too costly and there's no reason for them to move him so soon with so much control left.

I think Snell is most likely, personally.  TB is always willing to send out a big contract and we have the pieces to make that deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Heyward and Darvish should come with a ton of cash if we did that, but the fit is good enough.  We also shouldn't give up too much in that.

I don't really want to trade with Texas.  I'd rather sign Lynn as a FA and I don't want Gallo at all.

Marquez would be nice, but Blackmon wouldn't improve our defense.  Now if we moved Blackmon to LF and Eloy to DH and still got a RF then out OF D would be significantly better, but then we would have to either move Abreu or Vaughn, or delay Vaughn until midseason or longer.

I'm not really interested in dealing with the Royals either.  I'll just say it too: Merrifield is a pretty shitty RF.  He's still a 2B in RF IMO.  I would be interested if the Sox trade Madrigal but even if that was the case I'd much rather put Mendick out there than give up whatever the Royals will ask for Merrifield.

I don't think Hader fits that well here.  I think Hader would be a good fit for the Yankees who have several pieces like Cessa, Loaisiga, Montgomery, etc. that they can trade now and then they can add some lower-level talent to the package, and that might be good for MIL if they rebuild/reload.

Cain OTOH is interesting but he's best utilized as a CF and we're not moving Robert.  I really don't think MIL is a fit for us unless they make Yelich available which they won't, and I think Woodruff would be way too costly and there's no reason for them to move him so soon with so much control left.

I think Snell is most likely, personally.  TB is always willing to send out a big contract and we have the pieces to make that deal.

I wonder what Tampa would want for Snell

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Joey Gallo would be an interesting target for RF. Gold glover, bats lefty, gets on base, massive power. 

It would hurt filling the RF and SP holes both with a trade of prospects, given that Hahn has stated that the money saved during the rebuild years would be spent in the future. That trade would be prospect heavy IMO. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I strongly prefer trade outlooks like gallo blackmon heyward

gallo would be ideal

Blackmon would be cool

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

New bold predictions for us:

• Springer - 5/$125M (announced this Tuesday)
  • Richards - 1/$10M
  • Colome - 1/$7M
  • Lynn - Acquired for Stiever, Adolfo, & Sosa

I feel like that's not enough for Lynn especially with what they wanted for him at the deadline

4 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

Hader and Cain

Blackmon and Marquez

Lynn and Gallo

Heyward and Darvish

Merrifield and Duffy

I think trading and taking on salary for a 2nd piece is the least likely scenario of what the Sox will do this off season unless it is a pure salary dump where the other team pays a good portion of whats owed and we give up a minimal amount of players/prospects. The pieces are just too old for the most part.

The Sox rarely do that in other seasons. If someone can remember any trade like that please enlighten me. It's even less likely in a year where teams are claiming huge losses.

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I do not get the Blackmon love on this board.

Finding someone who's good defensively, good offensively, young, and has a great contract are hard to find. Blackmon can hit & his contract isn't terrible + can probably be had somewhat inexpensively. Maybe they can acquire him & Marquez rather than the oft-rumored Lynn & Gallo trade

1 minute ago, soxfan49 said:

Finding someone who's good defensively, good offensively, young, and has a great contract are hard to find. Blackmon can hit & his contract isn't terrible + can probably be had somewhat inexpensively. Maybe they can acquire him & Marquez rather than the oft-rumored Lynn & Gallo trade

He’s bad defensively. He’s not young. He’s still a pretty good hitter, though. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

He isn't good defensively. Blackmon is paid 18.3m per year on average for 3 more years. He will be 34-36 during these years. He has a .747 OPS away from Coors. I'm not paying that dude 18m a year for 3 years when he is that old. The Sox wouldn't take him for free.

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Blackmon is 34 years old, is no longer a good defender, is coming off a poor offensive season, and is scheduled to make $22M in each of the next two seasons.  We can literally sign Joc Pederson for like 1/$10M and probably end up with a better player (when factoring Engel’s side of the platoon) for half the price.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

His splits away from Coors are bad. Throw in that he will be 35 in July and makes close to $20M in 2021 and the years after that are player option years.  I rather just pay Bauer $30M /year for 5 years as our 1 big off season acquisition and fill in around him and not dick around giving out 3 or 4 $10M contracts or taking on an aging RF for multiple years.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Backwash07 said:

Hader and Cain

Blackmon and Marquez

Lynn and Gallo

Heyward and Darvish

Merrifield and Duffy

The Marquez deal easily has the most surplus value. I'm in the boat of sign free agents and keep your prospects.

• bmags locked this topic