Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Blackmon isn't negative value now. It would still require a significant package while having the awesome effect of maxing out salary for the next two years.

I 100% think Blackmon is negative value at $22M, but I don’t the Rockies move their best asset for primarily salary relief.

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He was playing the biggest centerfield in baseball.  He would be fine playing right field for the Sox.  

There's no evidence to support that whatsoever. He'd be fine being a DH. 

Just a weird thing with me...but can we actually have two outfielders that play good defense? Just a thought. 

• Like 2

My assumption is that if Colorado is willing to part with Marquez, they want some good prospects. They aren't going throw in Blackmon as a salary dump and then take a lower package.

I believe Hahn's plan is to sign Springer, trade for a solid starter, sign one of the back-end rotation guys, and sign a bullpen piece.  I think he is going to shop around for the best deal to get that solid starter (Marquez, Darvish, Lynn, etc.).

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

My assumption is that if Colorado is willing to part with Marquez, they want some good prospects. They aren't going throw in Blackmon as a salary dump and then take a lower package.

I believe Hahn's plan is to sign Springer, trade for a solid starter, sign one of the back-end rotation guys, and sign a bullpen piece.  I think he is going to shop around for the best deal to get that solid starter (Marquez, Darvish, Lynn, etc.).

I tend to agree but adding Springer (@$25M) plus Darvish (@$20M) would have us bumping into nose bleed altitude (>$140M). For that reason, if we sign Springer, I think Lynn would be the likely rotation addition.

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

I tend to agree but adding Springer (@$25M) plus Darvish (@$20M) would have us bumping into nose bleed altitude (>$140M). For that reason, if we sign Springer, I think Lynn would be the likely rotation addition.

If we dont expect to hit 140 million or act like that's high.. This rebuild failed before it started.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

I think this is true, the decision tree is probably similar to :

Sign springer -> Trade for Lynn

Trade for Darvish -> sign JBJ or Pederson

Not even indicating these are the two likeliest moves, just underscoring that I think we only have one $20+ mill salary in us.

11 minutes ago, Flash said:

I would expect a trade for Darvish to include the Cubs kicking in a little bit of money. But that's just pure speculation...I really have no clue.

1 hour ago, Baron said:

Let's cut through the BS of trying white wash his defense. He's a butcher in the OF. In 2018 he had -29 in DRS. -29.....-29. 

LOL "cut through the BS", "white wash". Dude, you need a nap. You take internet baseball discussion way too seriously.

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, Baron said:

There's no evidence to support that whatsoever. He'd be fine being a DH. 

Just a weird thing with me...but can we actually have two outfielders that play good defense? Just a thought. 

Playing RF in 2019 he was -9 and -3 in 50 games this year.  Again playing a very large RF.  He would be fine plying RF for the Sox.  

2 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

So the splits lie?

They do lie if that is the only stat you use. As Harold said players are usually better at home. LeMaheiu is much better in Yankees stadium than away from it. Any stat used in a vacuum can be misleading. If we want to embrace sabermetric stats, then to evaluate hitters you have to look much deeper. Having an accurate opinion  should always be based on how much effort you put in your use of the resources available to you.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think this is true, the decision tree is probably similar to :

Sign springer -> Trade for Lynn

Trade for Darvish -> sign JBJ or Pederson

Not even indicating these are the two likeliest moves, just underscoring that I think we only have one $20+ mill salary in us.

This is where I agree and want to prioritize Bauer and fill in around him. 1 max contract hold onto as many prospects as you can.

14 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I think Blackmon is intriguing to people because taking on his contract would likely mean that the Sox wouldn’t have to give up as much to get Marquez. That’s my take on it at least.

But he is also not the guy I want to be giving $20M per year . I have said it before but the Sox don't usually operate in that arena so I don't see them doing it in the current financial atmosphere especially not to a 35yr old to play a competent RF. Please please stay away from mid 30's players.

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I would expect a trade for Darvish to include the Cubs kicking in a little bit of money. But that's just pure speculation...I really have no clue.

Cubs aren't kicking in to move Darvish unless we took on added salary expense of someone like Kimbrel, which would somewhat defeat the purpose. 

45 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a normal year?  Sure.  In one where the team might have zero ballpark revenue for the second year in a row?

For sure. I keep pointing out Covid is as big an obstacle as Sox management to screw up a good thing. Throw in the possibility of a prolonged player strike while hopefully coming out of Covid and that gets you another screwed up season.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

47 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In a normal year?  Sure.  In one where the team might have zero ballpark revenue for the second year in a row?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mlb-owners-say-they-could-lose-4-billion-even-if-games-are-played-does-that-math-add-up/

Owners would MAKE less, but still MAKE money according to this??????  I see no chance of zero park revenue for this year.  Maybe only 25% capacity, but fans, yeah.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For sure. I keep pointing out Covid is as big an obstacle as Sox management to screw up a good thing. Throw in the possibility of a prolonged player strike while hopefully coming out of Covid and that gets you another screwed up season.

None of which is lost on JR which is why I'll be pleasantly surprised if he moves on Springer (especially early). That said, baseball has survived 2 world wars and The Great Depression so there's room for some optimism.

We have to get a star pitcher or star right fielder for sure. If we get Springer, I am okay trading for a number three type pitcher if they are consistently that. JR still needs to spend money because 2022 should be a big revenue year. Hell, He should be okay acquiring an expensive pitcher for one or two years in addition to Springer. 

37 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

You would think it would be pitching but looking at the Rockies they have no catching.  I mean none.  I wonder if they would be one team that would actually in interested in Zack Collins.  

Their offense is also just horrendous with zero power outside of Arenado/Story about to lose what they do have power wise next year with Story.

It really does make sense for Rockies to do a teardown this offseason. Get what they can for Story, trade Arenado to the Cards, and then yeah, get rid of marquez. But that means extracting as much young talent as possible and that's where I see Marquez being extremely painful.

• bmags locked this topic