Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mlb-owners-say-they-could-lose-4-billion-even-if-games-are-played-does-that-math-add-up/

Owners would MAKE less, but still MAKE money according to this??????  I see no chance of zero park revenue for this year.  Maybe only 25% capacity, but fans, yeah.

We'll have to see about 25% capacity. Covid is just getting worse and worse. People routinely ignore precautions . I don't usually watch TMZ but I left the TV on after a football game and watch reports and film footage of people partying in a strip club with a rapper throwing around his money with people jam packed together and one person with a mask on. I know this isn't typical behavior but it is illuminating that people can be so stupid. Party and looking pretty vs your health and the health of others ? Let's party !

43 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They do lie if that is the only stat you use. As Harold said players are usually better at home. LeMaheiu is much better in Yankees stadium than away from it. Any stat used in a vacuum can be misleading. If we want to embrace sabermetric stats, then to evaluate hitters you have to look much deeper. Having an accurate opinion  should always be based on how much effort you put in your use of the resources available to you.

This is absolutely absurd

26 minutes ago, Flash said:

Cubs aren't kicking in to move Darvish unless we took on added salary expense of someone like Kimbrel, which would somewhat defeat the purpose. 

I'm not a big fan of Darvish. He has too much mental wear and tear. Last year was excellent for him, but the two years prior were meh. 

7 minutes ago, Flash said:

None of which is lost on JR which is why I'll be pleasantly surprised if he moves on Springer (especially early). That said, baseball has survived 2 world wars and The Great Depression so there's room for some optimism.

Baseball survived yes but the Sox have always seemed to shoot themselves in the foot and they don't need much help or excuses from mother nature and labor upheavals to accomplish that. The fact that they all seem to be conspiring against a successful rebuild is concerning to say the least.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Baseball survived yes but the Sox have always seemed to shoot themselves in the foot and they don't need much help or excuses from mother nature and labor upheavals to accomplish that. The fact that they all seem to be conspiring against a successful rebuild is concerning to say the least.

Black Sox Karma never ends

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not a big fan of Darvish. He has too much mental wear and tear. Last year was excellent for him, but the two years prior were meh. 

His 2020 reinforced an excellent second half of 2019

10 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Second half of 2019 was excellent

Yep but the totality ended up being meh. He is pitching very well but I do remember questions about his mental wear and tear and his public image. It may not be a thing now I don't know, but that is critical for a pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep but the totality ended up being meh. He is pitching very well but I do remember questions about his mental wear and tear and his public image. It may not be a thing now I don't know, but that is critical for a pitcher. 

Well yeah, mental wear and tear by Astros kicking his ass thanks to cheating. 

Darvish has been great since his injury issues. He had some some nagging stuff in '18 and beginning of '19. When healthy...he is elite, top 20ish every year. 

One thing to note with him. Like many near ace starters...he has one or two starts a year that are duds and totally ruin his numbers, but all the stat stuff that matters is above average every year. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

He’s bad defensively. He’s not young. He’s still a pretty good hitter, though. 

22 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Blackmon is 34 years old, is no longer a good defender, is coming off a poor offensive season, and is scheduled to make $22M in each of the next two seasons.  We can literally sign Joc Pederson for like 1/$10M and probably end up with a better player (when factoring Engel’s side of the platoon) for half the price.

22 hours ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

He isn't good defensively. Blackmon is paid 18.3m per year on average for 3 more years. He will be 34-36 during these years. He has a .747 OPS away from Coors. I'm not paying that dude 18m a year for 3 years when he is that old. The Sox wouldn't take him for free.

I think you all misread my post. I didn't say Blackmon was young, good defensively and offensively, and had a reasonable deal. I was saying finding guys like that are hard to find. Those kind of guys aren't typically available. Blackmon is 2 of those 4 though and yeah there will be sacrifices made- specifically defensively- but he can hit and his contract isn't awful. That's all I was saying.

22 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

His splits away from Coors are bad. Throw in that he will be 35 in July and makes close to $20M in 2021 and the years after that are player option years.  I rather just pay Bauer $30M /year for 5 years as our 1 big off season acquisition and fill in around him and not dick around giving out 3 or 4 $10M contracts or taking on an aging RF for multiple years.

See post directly above

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I think you all misread my post. I didn't say Blackmon was young, good defensively and offensively, and had a reasonable deal. I was saying finding guys like that are hard to find. Those kind of guys aren't typically available. Blackmon is 2 of those 4 though and yeah there will be sacrifices made- specifically defensively- but he can hit and his contract isn't awful. That's all I was saying.

His contact is awful though and his 97 wRC+ at least should give some cause for concern when it comes to his bat.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

See post directly above

I didn't misunderstand you I just think his contract is awful and especially awful for a guy who's best years are in the rear view mirror and it's an overpay on one guy to get another guy and the Rockies still wants us to eat Blackmon's salary and give up a good prospect which is why the talks have come to an impasse if you believe Portillo's.

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

1) We aren't signing Bauer

2) We aren't going to trade for Snell, we aren't that loaded with prospects or money to make something like that smart.

3) We aren't going to ever acquire or sign Conforto. Mets will keep him with their billions of dollars now. 

4) We are likely going to get 2 B or C level starting pitchers this offseason. Or more likely, trade for Lynn.

5) For the OF, Springer seems like a possibility, but more in the 15% chance range than over 50%. Lots of teams seem in on him, Mets with billions of dollars, Blue Jays need a prime CF.

Honestly, this offseason fucking blows for the W'Sox. 

Our time was with signing Harper. 

I'll just address the not signing Bauer part. More than likely you are correct. But it all depends on if top dollar is the key for him. In the past he has talked about 1 year contracts in order to get the chance to play with a contender every year. With the year he had the 1 year deal is probably history. If the team he signs with doesn't contend then at least 1 opt out in his contract would be wise.

So what else does he think is important ? Pitching every 4th day. In a Covid shortened season I think this can be accomplished. I'm not sure it's wise in a full length season. I'm sure if teams ask him for specific reasons why he thinks he can pitch every 4th day he can give them sound reasons based on his own data. The willingness of a team to do this may play an important role in his decision. This would seem to me to be in the Sox favor since they have so many young arms with so few innings pitched. The more Bauer pitches the less innings Kopech, Crochet, and Dunning will pitch. If Bauer wants to carry a heavy load, let him.

Of course this has to be balanced with concerns that overworking him may increase the chance of getting less value from him should he overload his arm after a Covid shortened season and the chance for another one which would be 2 years straight that all starting pitchers are pitching a lot less innings and once you get back into the full schedule any pitcher going 200+ innings is going to be almost non-existent .

Most of the pundits think the Mets will blow the roof off most offers for Bauer . If he can be had in the $150M range I'd say the Sox have a shot if and only if they let him pitch every 4th day and put some opt outs in his contract. If the Mets offer him $200M I doubt the Sox go that high.

• bmags locked this topic