Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Honestly it's not hard to figure out. It has to be Andrus. He's the only guy on their roster with WS experience. He's also got $43.5M coming to him over the next 3 years (2021-2023).

In which case it is even more annoying and moronic to talk cryptically about it.

• Like 2

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Yep, and you play him at 2B and use Madrigal for bait. 

I still wouldn't trade Madrigal. I'd use Andrus as a sub/utility. He'd be quality at that for sure. Not sure how much he runs these days, but could be a pinch runner as well.

My goal this offseason would be in acquiring a quality SP+RF without giving up our prospect core. 

Just now, iWiN4PreP said:

I still wouldn't trade Madrigal. I'd use Andrus as a sub/utility. He'd be quality at that for sure. Not sure how much he runs these days, but could be a pinch runner as well.

My goal this offseason would be in acquiring a quality SP+RF without giving up our prospect core. 

That would involve free agents only. Jerry would never do that. 

I'm expecting a modest offseason, with the pickups to be Quintana, Richards and Pederson....if they want to buy an extra year with Vaughn maybe they sign Brantley to DH. Nothing super expensive though. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

That would involve free agents only. Jerry would never do that. 

I think a shrewd gm can find a way to make a deal with the Rangers for Lynn+Gallo without giving up our elite prospects. 

Add in Andrus, sure. 

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Lynn and Gallo aren’t good enough or controlled for long enough for me to take on an expensive contract for a bum like Andrus.

Their contracts fall right in line with what the White Sox love. Lynn is good and really inexpensive. I think it's fairly obvious the White Sox won't get involved in a bidding war for a starting pitcher on the free agent market. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I think a shrewd gm can find a way to make a deal with the Rangers for Lynn+Gallo without giving up our elite prospects. 

Add in Andrus, sure. 

Lynn and Gallo are only 1 year stopgaps and for as much power and OBP as Gallo has, if he's not doing prime Dunn stuff, he's still not that good. 

I don't see Jerry taking 3 years of Andrus to rent Gallo and Lynn for a year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

Their contracts fall right in line with what the White Sox love. Lynn is good and really inexpensive. I think it's fairly obvious the White Sox won't get involved in a bidding war for a starting pitcher on the free agent market. 

True, but if the Sox are going to pay Lynn and Gallo plus take on Andrus’ albatross contract, they might as well just use that money on Bauer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Gallo has 2 years and both would be somewhat easy to extend

Just curious...what to you think the price on Darvish would be? If we're talking about acquiring a 34 year old pitcher I like him. Shouldn't he be pretty cheap because he's 34 and has a bunch of money left? 

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Lynn and Gallo are only 1 year stopgaps and for as much power and OBP as Gallo has, if he's not doing prime Dunn stuff, he's still not that good. 

I don't see Jerry taking 3 years of Andrus to rent Gallo and Lynn for a year. 

Gallo with 2 years is quite nice for our lineup. His versatility, decent (or good??) defense, and left handed power would be ideal for what we need in RF. I'd also love to extend him as he is only 27 years old. He'd be a great fit IMO.

Lynn would likely walk in one year, but we need a high quality SP right now.

Andrus only has 3 years left and it isn't even that bad of a contract. He was decent/good in 2019. Would love to have him as our 'next man' on the bench. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

True, but if the Sox are going to pay Lynn and Gallo plus take on Andrus’ albatross contract, they might as well just use that money on Bauer.

Except they won't. There's no way in hell they get into that bidding war. In any case I think they acquire Lynn and only him. He makes too much sense and fits perfectly. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Just curious...what to you think the price on Darvish would be? If we're talking about acquiring a 34 year old pitcher I like him. Shouldn't he be pretty cheap because he's 34 and has a bunch of money left? 

Yeah, I've seen a lot of suggestions that Darvish would require one of Kopech/Vaughn and I just don't agree. In normal circumstances, sure. But 3/59 in this economic environment probably won't get a top 25 prospect, no matter who the player being dealt is. I see that as more of a Cease/Dunning and Madrigal, plus one of the Kelley/Thompson/Dalquist types. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You didn't ask me the question, but the problem with Darvish, IMO, is that since he is signed longer then just one year we would have to factor him into plans for the next 3. I don't think he will be that good for the 3 years. 

I'd avoid him, but the cost probably wouldn't be too much. He's a buy high right now obviously, but package him with Heyward and I'd like that, as we could get it for peanuts. 

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Gallo with 2 years is quite nice for our lineup. His versatility, decent (or good??) defense, and left handed power would be ideal for what we need in RF. I'd also love to extend him as he is only 27 years old. He'd be a great fit IMO.

He really is. For as much as people would hate him due to the high-risk/high-reward offensive approach, this team is begging for a gold glove caliber right fielder who bats left-handed, takes walks, and hits home runs. He checks all the boxes

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic