Offseason Targets

soxfan49

2 hours ago, Bigsoxhurt35 said:

MLB wants to make their game more fun? Start with the off-season. There’s no free agency frenzy. The Winter Meetings are always fun and there’s none of that this season. But even then you have to wait 2 months for the Winter Meetings. 

Fix that next CBA. This year was guaranteed to be a mess even if things were working normally. And the Winter Meetings haven't been very interesting the last couple years. Right now, let's just make sure the season can start on time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Fix that next CBA. This year was guaranteed to be a mess even if things were working normally. And the Winter Meetings haven't been very interesting the last couple years. Right now, let's just make sure the season can start on time.

I knew this year would be messy. I’m ok with that. But still needs fixed moving forward. The off-season is much like the season, long and dull

For discussion sake I'm gonna assume that the Sox can't or won't sign Bauer for their rotation.  I'll also assume that they can't put a reasonable deal together for a trade of prospects for a good starter with multiple years of control.  Both of these assumptions could very well be valid impediments to shore up the starting staff.  We've all written off Rodon as a member of this team because he's always hurt and has been around long enough to be in line for a high ($4.5m) arbitration award.  How about some kind of offer that protects each side.  The Sox need starters, preferably left handed to balance their staff.  He once had TOR stuff and it might still be better than the non-Bauer FA group of Tanaka, Odorizzi, Quintana, etc.  The Sox  should know his health better than all others and I'm assuming he's 100% good now.  From his (and his agents) standpoint, he's about to be non-tendered into a huge and growing pool of unemployed players.  He's gone on record as saying that he is not interested in a bullpen position so it's starter or bust, which also might dampen interest in him.  What do you all think of offering something along the lines of a base MLB contract of $3m with 3 $1m bonuses at say 10 starts, 20 starts and 30 starts?  Rodon gets to remain a starter and rebuild some earning power while at the same time reaching his arb number if he can stay healthy and effective.  The Sox get to potentially fill out their rotation with a younger, equally effective starter without paying $12 to $14m or trading from a thin farm inventory.  If he shows up to camp out of shape or hurt again you cut him and go to war with Kopech and Cease in those last 2 spots.  Also you now have the payroll space to go hard after Springer.  Whatch you think?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roto said:

For discussion sake I'm gonna assume that the Sox can't or won't sign Bauer for their rotation.  I'll also assume that they can't put a reasonable deal together for a trade of prospects for a good starter with multiple years of control.  Both of these assumptions could very well be valid impediments to shore up the starting staff.  We've all written off Rodon as a member of this team because he's always hurt and has been around long enough to be in line for a high ($4.5m) arbitration award.  How about some kind of offer that protects each side.  The Sox need starters, preferably left handed to balance their staff.  He once had TOR stuff and it might still be better than the non-Bauer FA group of Tanaka, Odorizzi, Quintana, etc.  The Sox  should know his health better than all others and I'm assuming he's 100% good now.  From his (and his agents) standpoint, he's about to be non-tendered into a huge and growing pool of unemployed players.  He's gone on record as saying that he is not interested in a bullpen position so it's starter or bust, which also might dampen interest in him.  What do you all think of offering something along the lines of a base MLB contract of $3m with 3 $1m bonuses at say 10 starts, 20 starts and 30 starts?  Rodon gets to remain a starter and rebuild some earning power while at the same time reaching his arb number if he can stay healthy and effective.  The Sox get to potentially fill out their rotation with a younger, equally effective starter without paying $12 to $14m or trading from a thin farm inventory.  If he shows up to camp out of shape or hurt again you cut him and go to war with Kopech and Cease in those last 2 spots.  Also you now have the payroll space to go hard after Springer.  Whatch you think?  

Just sign James Paxton if that’s the route you want to go.  Unless Rodon is willing to accept a reduced deal and take a shot at relieving (which is unlikely) he should be good as gone.

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

When they do bullshit like this it makes me wonder if Samson is right about Jerry wanting to finish in 2nd every year. 

Jack: When someone on the internet posts " This is not to say that it won’t happen",  don't go off the deep-end . Wait till something actually happens.  There is way more garbage than fact floating around at this time of year. 

• bmags locked this topic