Offseason Targets

soxfan49

If the Sox want to go the trade for a rental route you could do a lot worse than the 2 Lance's , Lynn and McCullers, Jr.  Astro's need OF's maybe offer Mazara and Rey Lopez for McCullers. That way Houston could just not non tender Mazara and they replace a pitcher who came back from TJ last year but has an injury history with a healthy arm like Lopez who isn't a FA till 2024 ,so he's got 2 more years than McCullers.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If the Sox want to go the trade for a rental route you could do a lot worse than the 2 Lance's , Lynn and McCullers, Jr.  Astro's need OF's maybe offer Mazara and Rey Lopez for McCullers. That way Houston could just not non tender Mazara and they replace a pitcher who came back from TJ last year but has an injury history with a healthy arm like Lopez who isn't a FA till 2024 ,so he's got 2 more years than McCullers.

Mazara has zero trade value at his projected arbitration salary in this market.  He will get non tendered and will sign a major league contract for much less.

• Like 1

Guys, I had to take a couple days off from posting anything on here and also I was with my family the whole day for Thanksgiving. Quite frankly, I was getting too hyped up from all the twitter nonsense and needed a break. I apologize if I was very defensive a couple nights ago. Not how I wanted to across as but I didn’t appreciate that I was being accused by some of you that I’m those food accounts because I post those tweets on here quite a bit. Did it ever come across that may be a couple of those accounts are a couple 17 year old kids messing around or some random posters on the internet acting like idiots and playing tricks? If you really think that I’m one of those accounts, than that’s your opinion but it will come to light eventually who those accounts belong to but they are definitely not me. I actually think it’s hilarious that an account called Nancy’s Pizza is saying that I am Al’s Cheesy Beef, Portillos and Not Cishek but than turns around and responds to Portillos by saying good job WSD. Can I say troll!!!! Anyways I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving since I was gone for two days. Just enjoy the weekend with your families and don’t worry about what some trolls on the internet are saying.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mazara has zero trade value at his projected arbitration salary in this market.  He will get non tendered and will sign a major league contract for much less.

I beg to differ. How many non-tender candidate young OF's have the potential to hit 30 HR's like Mazara ? Houston would get him without competing for him in the FA market and his salary would probably be less than McCullers projected arbitration salary. It's possible that Mazara's and Lopez arb. salaries combined would be less than McCullers and they get 3 years of service compared to 1 for McCullers.

But anyway here's the latest on McCullers https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/11/23/21589366/lance-mccullers-jr-is-quietly-facing-a-pivotal-2021

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I beg to differ. How many non-tender candidate young OF's have the potential to hit 30 HR's like Mazara ? Houston would get him without competing for him in the FA market and his salary would probably be less than McCullers projected arbitration salary. It's possible that Mazara's and Lopez arb. salaries combined would be less than McCullers and they get 3 years of service compared to 1 for McCullers.

But anyway here's the latest on McCullers https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/11/23/21589366/lance-mccullers-jr-is-quietly-facing-a-pivotal-2021

Mazara has never been good though and being “young” is not valuable when you only have one year of control remaining.  I think there would be teams interested in him, but it will come a huge discount.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mazara has never been good though and being “young” is not valuable when you only have one year of control remaining.  I think there would be teams interested in him, but it will come a huge discount.

Outside of one really lucky season, Lopez hasn't been good either. 

But yeah, I'd rather rent McCullers for a year than Lynn. 

You're going to have to give up more than Lopez and Mazara for McCullers as both are non-tender candidates. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don't really wish to get into the whole Mazara argument again. I stuck up for him after we traded for him and throughout the season then finally gave up on him before the playoffs because he was basically putting up the same numbers as all our other failed OF's during the rebuild (Cordell, Tilson,Jay). But despite that if he had just had a productive season like his previous season he would have been well beyond the stats of those bums.

Remember in 2019 he hit .288, OBP .344 , .500 SLG. ,and .844 OPS against RHP that would have been great for the 2020 Sox and he was a better fielder than most anticipated. Those numbers suggest he could be very good against RHP and was young enough to think there was even more upside.

But my main point is I think McCullers is someone worth pursuing and Houston has a very well earned reputation for developing pitchers and teaching them high spin rate breaking balls and Lopez' curve has been MIA. He could be worth a shot to the Astros.

I don't want to get stuck on who Houston might want back for McCullers. He is a good groundball but also a high K rate pitcher and has been developing his pitches including a cutter late in the season . His K/BB ratio is among the best but his barrel % went up . It will be his 2nd year coming back from TJ surgery so he could be poised for a very good year but because of his injuries he's never pitched more than 128 inning but he did pitch 70 innings including the playoffs last year.

37 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If Mazara and Rodon are both non tendered who do you think ends up with a bigger contract ?

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I’d do Dunning for Gallo and Lynn. I think Lynn would be easy to extend and Gallo is exactly what they need. Time to win guys. 

It would definitely take more than Dunning for both of them. Add Stiever and Adolfo and maybe you have a deal.

I would love to get Gallo, though. Guy had an off year but was a monster in 2019. Imagine another 40 hr hitter on the team. There would be zero holes in the offense. 

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

It would definitely take more than Dunning for both of them. Add Stiever and Adolfo and maybe you have a deal

This is going to be the Rangers first season with fans in their new park. They’re not trading Gallo for anything less than an insane package.  People also need to pay attention to what Harold is saying, as the Rangers are trying to trade off a contract with Lynn.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Rodon, I think he will be a hot commodity 

What do you think of McCullers as a trade target ? Guys like Lynn and McCullers would cost less to trade being rentals and give another year for our youngsters to develop if they can be had without losing most of those youngsters.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What do you think of McCullers as a trade target ? Guys like Lynn and McCullers would cost less to trade being rentals and give another year for our youngsters to develop if they can be had without losing most of those youngsters.

I’d be fine with him but it would cost more than what most would feel comfortable with. Astros aren’t rebuilding so they would want someone like Dunning and more. I do think Cease could strive there though.

18 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’d be fine with him but it would cost more than what most would feel comfortable with. Astros aren’t rebuilding so they would want someone like Dunning and more. I do think Cease could strive there though.

The Astros have a lot of young arms on their 40 and some eventually will have to be moved. I'm pretty sure they just added 4 of them to their roster to protect them from the Rule 5 including Forrest Whitley. Maybe a package deal where we end up with McCullers and another one of their pitchers.

They also hit the jackpot on arms in the 2017 draft J.B. Bukauskas, Corbin Martin, Tyler Ivey, Peter Solomon, Brandon Bielak .

Cristian Javier and Enoli Paredes came from way outside the top 100 to pitch high leverage innings in multiple playoffs.

Framber Valdez threw perhaps the most dominant curveball of anybody on the planet in 2020. Astros’ arms are highly regarded.

Much of this is from here https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2020/11/23/21589366/lance-mccullers-jr-is-quietly-facing-a-pivotal-2021

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, I’d expect them both in the $3M to $4M range.

Mazara's projected arb. salary is $5.6- $5.9M. When you say "huge discount" I'm not real sure $2-3M qualifies as huge which could nullify that he has  zero trade value. More than likely you are right but if Springer doesn't re sign with the Astros they are going to need a RF and a CF . So if we non tender Mazara we could be battling Houston for Pederson , Jackie Bradley Jr or Mazara at a slightly, not huge, reduced rate.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

This is going to be the Rangers first season with fans in their new park. They’re not trading Gallo for anything less than an insane package.  People also need to pay attention to what Harold is saying, as the Rangers are trying to trade off a contract with Lynn.

I agree on Gallo, but doubt the Rangers get a team to absorb a shit contract for one year of Lance Lynn.  Ultimately I think they move him for the best prospect possible.

Assuming Springer signs with the Mets next steps:

Sign Marcell Ozuna 4 Years/$100 mil

Sign Garret Richards 1 Year/$8 mil 

Sign Keone Kela 1 Year / $4 mil 

Trade: Vaughn and Kopech for Snell 

Trade: Cease, Heuer, and Bryce Bush for Conforto (Mets will probably hold onto him but whatever) 

• bmags locked this topic