Offseason Targets

soxfan49

12 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Seems he would fit that Gio Gonzalez swing role pretty well and if he's finally able to put together a string of consistent starts in his walk year that would be a nice added bonus.  

His wife and him have been pretty vocal that he considers himself a SP, not someone who comes out of the bullpen. 

Just now, ShoeLessRob said:

His wife and him have been pretty vocal that he considers himself a SP, not someone who comes out of the bullpen. 

He can't find the plate enough to be a reliever. That's a completely underrated aspect of relief pitching. 

You can actually get away with throwing fewer strikes as a starter than as a reliever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShoeLessRob said:

If he limits his options he'll get less money. Realistically speaking he's going to accept the best offer to do whatever the signing party wants him to do.

Most arb eligible players settle before even going into arbitration. If Mazara had any sense he'd settle for less before getting non tendered at arb deadline, if he were offered a deal. If he'd do it at around three million I'd think it would be worth considering, the Sox could eat that and still pursue another option, leaving him as dh/rf depth or trade bait

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If he limits his options he'll get less money. 

Yeah but if he believes in himself, it would make sense to lose out financially in the short term in order to reap a far bigger payday in the future after he reestablishes himself as a starter where he would be making twice as much or more. If he accepts the change in roles then he's accepting a considerably lower future earnings ceiling.  I don't think it's an unrealistic scenario at all. 

Edited by Vulture

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the Sox tender him an offer, it really doesn't matter what his wife thinks his role should be.

The question was under the circumstance of having been non tendered. You don't think the sox are going to offer him arb do you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vulture said:

Yeah but if he believes in himself, it would make sense to lose out financially in the short term in order to reap a far bigger payday in the future after he reestablishes himself as a starter where he would be making twice as much or more. If he accepts the change in roles then he's accepting a considerably lower future earnings ceiling.  I don't think it's an unrealistic scenario at all. 

Nothing that they think or want to do is unrealistic. Having success doing it that way is another story. His career has been spiraling downward and if he isn't careful he could be out of baseball in a couple years.Take the best offer and pitch. Re-establish that you can pitch without injury in any capacity. If he gets a few million that goes a long way if he plans his financial future carefully in the event of more injuries. Blind faith in your abilities mean nothing if you can't show it.

He's still coming off TJ surgery , he can't pitch a full starters load anyway. Accept reality in the face of adversity. If he believes so much in himself, sign a one year contract just to show you can still pitch effectively which means throw strikes  and stay healthy in any roll. If he can't do that he won't have a future.

3 hours ago, Vulture said:

Most arb eligible players settle before even going into arbitration. If Mazara had any sense he'd settle for less before getting non tendered at arb deadline, if he were offered a deal. If he'd do it at around three million I'd think it would be worth considering, the Sox could eat that and still pursue another option, leaving him as dh/rf depth or trade bait

I can't think of a guy who settled for significantly less money than projected. I could be wrong but I believe that could hurt the arbitration market for other players? 

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I can't think of a guy who settled for significantly less money than projected. I could be wrong but I believe that could hurt the arbitration market for other players? 

But this is something entirely different which is why many are projecting a much higher number of non-tenders than usual. All the financial reports about teams losing a combined $3B is telling possible non-tenders to take less or be non tendered and take your chances on an over-saturated market. I'd guess plenty of non-tender candidates are being offered less than their projected figures right now and if not accepted then it's adios.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'm having trouble coming up with an instance where a player tanked to that degree going into his final arb year with a relatively high arb salary. There is the case of Bret Lawrie, who made 4.2 million in '16 then settled with Sox at 3.5. But his 2016 numbers were much closer to his career norms than Mazara.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nothing that they think or want to do is unrealistic. Having success doing it that way is another story. His career has been spiraling downward and if he isn't careful he could be out of baseball in a couple years.Take the best offer and pitch. Re-establish that you can pitch without injury in any capacity. If he gets a few million that goes a long way if he plans his financial future carefully in the event of more injuries. Blind faith in your abilities mean nothing if you can't show it.

He's still coming off TJ surgery , he can't pitch a full starters load anyway. Accept reality in the face of adversity. If he believes so much in himself, sign a one year contract just to show you can still pitch effectively which means throw strikes  and stay healthy in any roll. If he can't do that he won't have a future.

I dont know where you get the idea a pitcher cant throw a full season the year following their recovery from TJS. Happens all the time. 2020 he came off the surgery, by '21 he'll have an extra ten months after recovery. Tommy John himself threw 200+ innings the first season back from surgery. Wainright started 32 games in first season back. Paul Byrd came back pitched over 200 innings and led the league in quality starts. Alex Cobb pitched 174 innings, Corbin came back midseason and made 16 starts to finish. Tim Hudson came back, threw 228 innings in 34 starts with the best season he had in years. None of those guys had the extra ten healthy months Rodon will have by start of next season. No reason he shouldn't be ready for a full workload if he's healthy.

Obviously if he isn't offered a starting role then he can't take it either way.but if he got an offer to start for 1.5 million vs an offer to relieve at three million, it would make sense to take the starter role when the potential future earning is vastly higher with the lower immediate pay, particularly if he believes his chance at reestablishing himself is greater as a starter, which he clearly does. 

51 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I dont know where you get the idea a pitcher cant throw a full season the year following their recovery from TJS. Happens all the time. 2020 he came off the surgery, by '21 he'll have an extra ten months after recovery. Tommy John himself threw 200+ innings the first season back from surgery. Wainright started 32 games in first season back. Paul Byrd came back pitched over 200 innings and led the league in quality starts. Alex Cobb pitched 174 innings, Corbin came back midseason and made 16 starts to finish. Tim Hudson came back, threw 228 innings in 34 starts with the best season he had in years. None of those guys had the extra ten healthy months Rodon will have by start of next season. No reason he shouldn't be ready for a full workload if he's healthy.

Obviously if he isn't offered a starting role then he can't take it either way.but if he got an offer to start for 1.5 million vs an offer to relieve at three million, it would make sense to take the starter role when the potential future earning is vastly higher with the lower immediate pay, particularly if he believes his chance at reestablishing himself is greater as a starter, which he clearly does. 

The last time he pitched over 120 innings was 2016. I will guarantee he won't pitch 120 innings in MLB next year. We'll just agree to disagree.If I was his financial advisor I'd say take the money and run. Maybe his guru or spirit guide would suggest your plan. I'd even be willing to bet $4 for me every inning under 120 innings and $5 for you every inning over 120 if a full season is played.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Carlos Rodon's wife is what is wrong with professional sports. Who cares what some over pampered wife thinks on social media? Your husband sucks and will be lucky to get an MLB offer at this point. Please pipe down.

Yes..If it wasn’t for the wife of a non-tender candidate it would be the 1950’s again. 

• Haha 3

I would like to see what  the Indians  might want  for  Zach Plesac

I would also try to find out what Boston would take for Andrew Benintendi, ,,,depending on the prognosis of his rib cage injury.

It might be worth buying  low on him.

2 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I would be absolutely shocked if the sox cut Heyward. Not with that kinda salary. Plus the need in right field. 

I think the post proves he has some sort of source because if he thinks the Sox would sign Springer, trade for Darvish and take Heyward's contract just to waive him, he is pretty clueless on his own.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, tray said:

I would like to see what  the Indians  might want  for  Zach Plesac

I would also try to find out what Boston would take for Andrew Benintendi, ,,,depending on the prognosis of his rib cage injury.

It might be worth buying  low on him.

I think they want to keep Plesac. Cheaper more control. They're offering Carrasco and Lindor. Cleveland needs to cut about $40m from payroll. Unless that has recently changed. 

23 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I would be absolutely shocked if the sox cut Heyward. Not with that kinda salary. Plus the need in right field. 

If they were to take on Heyward’s salary (which a I doubt), they wouldn’t cut him and then go sign Springer.  You’re talking about $60M+ in salary to address SP2 & WR, which at that point why not just sign Bauer & Springer?

21 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If they were to take on Heyward’s salary (which a I doubt), they wouldn’t cut him and then go sign Springer.  You’re talking about $60M+ in salary to address SP2 & WR, which at that point why not just sign Bauer & Springer?

Also you could easily trade Heyward at some portion of his cost rather than eat all of it.

10 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Carlos Rodon's wife is what is wrong with professional sports. Who cares what some over pampered wife thinks on social media? Your husband sucks and will be lucky to get an MLB offer at this point. Please pipe down.

Yes, the main problem with pro sports is athletes’ family members wanting what’s best for them and taking an overly optimistic view of their talent.  Don’t even get me started on mothers and children—just terrible evaluators of fmv.  Then when you give some of these people Facebook accounts?  My god, it’s like dumping rocket fuel onto forest fire.  The Commissioner should form a subcommittee to study the corrosive effects of familial love on sports before it’s too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

• bmags locked this topic