Offseason Targets

soxfan49

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I watched something yesterday where the guy said there is no way they will be able to have spring training in February and March even with the vaccine. He thinks it will be in April, the season will start in May and they will play 130 games with much of the beginning of the season without fans or at least extremely limited.

That's what Steve Stone has been pushing for. But the Stone Pony wants this to be permanent.

15 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

LOL fuck no on trading Cease for Lynn.  I don't even want to give them Dunning.

Let's sign Q for a year instead.  Fuck the Rangers.

Because Q is going to take a year for the same contract as Lynn. 

Herein lies the problem that's been there the entire time. The guy that makes the most sense for this team to acquire (Yes not a free agent) and everyone is balking about what would be a very reasonable asking price. Time to get out of that thinking. Some of these guys won't be spending their careers on the Chicago White Sox. Hate to break it to you. 

You have a guy who finished what? 5th in Cy Young voting right? On a cheap contract and is a workhorse. He fits right in at the 2 slot. "Oh god you mean we have to give up something of value to the Rangers for him??!!!!" Yes. Can we take winning seriously please? This is far more realistic than the White Sox shelling about 6-7 years 200+ Million for a top of the rotation pitcher. 

Edited by Baron
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Does this take contract length into account or do you think Dunning is/will be better than Lynn? 

It's very doubtful he will be better than Lynn in 2021.But it could happen and every year after that the odds get better as Lynn ages but not on the White Sox  and that is the crux of the matter . It's one year.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or you mean it. Q might sign for $8M a year if he gets 2 years.

I'm being ultra sarcastic. He's going to make money this offseason. 

In any case is he the pitcher we need? We need pitching but in an ideal world he should only be considered when any other option to add a front line guy is exhausted. 

6 minutes ago, Baron said:

Herein lies the problem that's been there the entire time. The guy that makes the most sense for this team to acquire (Yes not a free agent) and everyone is balking about what would be a very reasonable asking price. Time to get out of that thinking. Some of these guys won't be spending their careers on the Chicago White Sox. Hate to break it to you. 

You have a guy who finished what? 5th in Cy Young voting right? On a cheap contract and is a workhorse. He fits right in at the 2 slot. "Oh god you mean we have to give up something of value to the Rangers for him??!!!!" Yes. Can we take winning seriously please? This is far more realistic than the White Sox shelling about 6-7 years 200+ Million for a top of the rotation pitcher. 

I agree with the sentiment   but it would be a lot easier to swallow if it wasn't someone who isn't already MLB ready . We wait and wait for a guy coming back from TJ surgery and he showed a great deal of promise for 1 year of a pretty good pitcher . 1 stinking year. Give the Rangers someone who hasn't had TJ yet and let them wait on the promise to be fulfilled.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I agree with the sentiment   but it would be a lot easier to swallow if it wasn't someone who isn't already MLB ready . We wait and wait for a guy coming back from TJ surgery and he showed a great deal of promise for 1 year of a pretty good pitcher . 1 stinking year. Give the Rangers someone who hasn't had TJ yet and let them wait on the promise to be fulfilled.

If the argument is about sending Dunning or Cease especially Cease for Lynn that should be an easy trade. I'm not sure what the Rangers value of Cease is or the White Sox for that matter. But I'm not sure he's going to get a long leash from us either way. Dunning can stay or go. 

• Haha 1

Why not both? Lynn and Quintana...and that still leaves enough cash for a good RF. 

Giolito
Lynn
Keuchel
Quintana
Kopech/Dunning or Cease depending which of Dunning or Cease would be traded for Lynn.

Could you get Lynn for Stiever/Dalquist or Thompson /mid tier prospect? That would be the ideal scenario, but leaves a major log jam at SP if they signed Q. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

I'm being ultra sarcastic. He's going to make money this offseason. 

In any case is he the pitcher we need? We need pitching but in an ideal world he should only be considered when any other option to add a front line guy is exhausted. 

What front line guy though ? It's not like they are hanging from trees waiting to be plucked.

The problem is you can't tell who the pitcher you need is. This is where fans are almost as knowledgeable as GM's . If you put all the free agent pitchers in order of AAV received after they signed and then put them in order of best performance  those lists wouldn't come close to aligning.

Someone wants Tanaka, some Ordorizzi, some Quintana. etc etc. Take your shot and hope for the best if you aren't getting Bauer . But can't be giving up 6 years of a promising young pitcher for a rental. As much as I wanted the Sox to get Lynn at the deadline last year, if the price was exorbitant , that's how things go with this team.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

What front line guy though ? It's not like they are hanging from trees waiting to be plucked.

The problem is you can't tell who the pitcher you need is. This is where fans are almost as knowledgeable as GM's . If you put all the free agent pitchers in order of AAV received after they signed and then put them in order of best performance  those lists wouldn't come close to aligning.

Someone wants Tanaka, some Ordorizzi, some Quintana. etc etc. Take your shot and hope for the best if you aren't getting Bauer . But can't be giving up 6 years of a promising young pitcher for a rental. As much as I wanted the Sox to get Lynn at the deadline last year, if the price was exorbitant , that's how things go with this team.

Those are the type of trades your going to have to make to get guys like him under those contracts. Sorry it hurts but too bad. Like I said not all of these guys are going to be spending their careers with the White Sox. We can sacrifice 1 of them to give us a better chance to win a World Series. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Why not both? Lynn and Quintana...and that still leaves enough cash for a good RF. 

Giolito
Lynn
Keuchel
Quintana
Kopech/Dunning or Cease depending which of Dunning or Cease would be traded for Lynn.

Could you get Lynn for Stiever/Dalquist or Thompson /mid tier prospect? That would be the ideal scenario, but leaves a major log jam at SP if they signed Q. 

I would much prefer a Stiever, Sheets and Lambert package.   More depth to this deal than many others, but lacking the higher caliber prospect.  Throw us Leclerc as well :D 

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

Dunning is a quality 3/4 pitcher in this league for a long long time. There’s no need to dump him because we’re excited to make a trade for someone marginally (if at all) better than him today. 

I agree with the Dunning part... but Lynn is far better right now.

2 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Dunning is a quality 3/4 pitcher in this league for a long long time. There’s no need to dump him because we’re excited to make a trade for someone marginally (if at all) better than him today. 

Lynn is a far far better pitcher right now. 

I'm not sure I believe in Q producing much anymore. Quintana without excellent home run suppression has been just average. His FB velo has tailed off. His changeup looks like it could become a new weapon.

He's gone from the fastball away, curveball, ride 2-seamer in to the high fb/curveball craze. And when he gets his fastball up it does kinda work, he gets a lot of swing and miss that way. But I wonder if when he's missing, he's missing low, as his basehits used to be on outside corner (where he located everything) with his fastball to now thigh-high all over the plate. His barrel% is a lot higher. It's just not working as well and one thing with Q is we knew he always had less margin for error.

Love the guy, and that's probably fine for a #4/5 guy, but I could see it being "Ivan Nova first half with sox" kinda bad.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The best shot that the Sox have of getting a front line pitcher is Giolito taking another step or Kopech, Crochet or both developing into one. 

I think signing a Tanaka/Odorizzi/Quintana type is the way to go to solidify another spot and give Dunning and Cease the other spots to start, and Kopech comes up and replaces whichever guy isn't performing. I'm fine trading Cease because I'm not a huge fan of his, but if they're trading him they should be getting a guy like Darvish or Gray in return. 

I would not trade Kopech or Crochet unless you're getting DeGrom back. 

3 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Lance Lynn is much better, much much better than Dunning is today.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

While I'd like to have Lynn on this rotation for 2021, trading for one year stopgaps is what I thought we'd finally get away from. 

This is the same old "Sox way of doing business." 

Sign FREE Agents.   FREE being the key word.   

DING DING DING.....we have a winner. 

There are other options, like Sugano and Arihara as well. Dip into Japan if you need to. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic