Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

If that's your attitude how are they going to be in the Dodgers league in 2-3 years? We should just rebuild and give up. 

If they get that far you let it play out. 

If they're not willing to carry a 150-160M payroll then keeping their players isn't only necessary, it's required. 

Also, if they're not willing to carry a 140M  payroll this year, then they're not interested in winning a championship in 2021, so also keep the prospects. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

My biggest fear is that the TLR hire is an excuse not to spend.  If Jerry really convinced himself that the problem was managment, and with a few trades and TLR at the top he can just old school manage his way to the top, we will see the worst of both worlds as we shorten our window and piss away years of this core.

Jerry has been a baseball fan longer than most of us and is smart enough to become a billionaire.  Maybe he isn't as dumb as some on this board would have us believe.😉

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

If you won't even acknowledge your own posts, you need to just move on.

I'm still waiting for an example. If you provide me an example of where I said trade Cease and Dunn for Lynn in here I'll stop giving you shit for being wrong. 

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

It really all depends on who they give up for Lynn because they can just turn around and sign him. 

Ding ding ding...why give up anything of value if you can sign him for just money next winter? 

It's time for the Sox to act like a team interested in winning a championship payroll wise. This is a different era. You cannot win being cheap. You might make a world series appearance but you won't win. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Send me the post saying Harold said that.. IF that was an offer I am glad the Indians took the poor offer they did. 

We'd have crucified Hahn for trading that package to Cleveland and then Clevinger being unavailable for 2021 due to TJS and on an innings limited in 2022, his walk year. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

We'd have crucified Hahn for trading that package to Cleveland and then Clevinger being unavailable for 2021 due to TJS and on an innings limited in 2022, his walk year. 

No one has ever accused Hahn of being good at trading prospects for veterans 

• Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

He's going to get crucified for trading pretty much anybody that's been mentioned in this thread. 

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ding ding ding...why give up anything of value if you can sign him for just money next winter? 

It's time for the Sox to act like a team interested in winning a championship payroll wise. This is a different era. You cannot win being cheap. You might make a world series appearance but you won't win. 

Well I was thinking more on the lines of a trade where they also include Gallo or a good prospect and than turn around after the trade and sign Lynn.

16 minutes ago, Baron said:

Orrrrr you could trade for him use him this year and resign him. 

Agreed. 

Edited by maloney.adam

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Which again, is the worst possible scenario if they aren't willing to spend.

They aren’t cutting payroll IMO, which in today’s baseball is meaningful. It seems they will add to the payroll but only short-term in terms of years. I’ve never considered Springer or Bauer to be realistic for this reason.

Just now, fathom said:

They aren’t cutting payroll IMO, which in today’s baseball is meaningful. It seems they will add to the payroll but only short-term in terms of years. I’ve never considered Springer or Bauer to be realistic for this reason.

Me too Fathom. I think when the rumors start coming in on those guys we won't be mentioned either. 

Just now, fathom said:

No one has ever accused Hahn of being good at trading prospects for veterans 

If he can pick up a Marquez type that has years of control to fit the window this team is looking at, that is a different story.  Even if you lose a guy to an injury, you at least have them back for a couple/few more years.  If that happens with a Lynn type, you completely lose the deal and gave away parts of your future reinforcements to do it.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Being caught in between is the worst of both worlds.  If you want to move up the calendar, spend.  If you can't spend, don't waste your future without getting future pieces back. 

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Being caught in between is the worst of both worlds.  If you want to move up the calendar, spend.  If you can't spend, don't waste your future without getting future pieces back. 

Agreed, and don’t confuse me predicting with what will happen with what I want to have happen. Ideally they would spend money on Bauer, but that won’t happen.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

So Pederson and Quintana plus trading for a cost controlled other starter.

16 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Jerry has been a baseball fan longer than most of us and is smart enough to become a billionaire.  Maybe he isn't as dumb as some on this board would have us believe.😉

Or he's prioritized profits over winning, which is why he is a billionaire and hasn't produced regularly winning teams. Winning is a positive side effect, but not a necessary one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• bmags locked this topic