Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is what I thought, they also were seeing their toolsy hitters just not developing a hit tool.

That played a part but it was the pitching injuries that made them change gears so quickly.  Here is an article from last year highlighting just how many TJ's they've had and there have been many more since this was written.  

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/05/02/rangers-claim-unofficial-lead-in-unflattering-statistic-involving-tommy-john-surgeries/

10 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Here is a question, who would you guys rather trade in a deal with Stiever? Jared Kelley or Matthew Thompson?

Stiever for sure.  His timeline puts him behind a lot of the guys we have now. That whole Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley/Crochet group is years down the road starters to start to replace guys who are currently here.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stiever for sure.  His timeline puts him behind a lot of the guys we have now. That whole Thompson/Dalquist/Kelley/Crochet group is years down the road starters to start to replace guys who are currently here.

I think that Crochet could be ready as soon as 2022, unless they're going to use two options and be incredibly conservative with him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

19 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re not going to go from wanting Vaughn for Lynn to wanting Thompson and lesser prospects.  

They can want Vaughn for Lynn all they want. They can also keep Lynn and let him walk after 2021. OR they can lower their expectations quite a bit and get more than a compensatory draft pick for him.

Just now, Dam8610 said:

They can want Vaughn for Lynn all they want. They can also keep Lynn and let him walk after 2021. OR they can lower their expectations quite a bit and get more than a compensatory draft pick for him.

Would they put a QO price tag of about $20 million on Lynn?  Because that would be the only way he gets draft pick compensation.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That is gross as fuck.

If one year of Lance Lynn costs Dylan Cease, I want nothing to do with the trade market this winter. That would mean that guys with 3 years of control cost more than Sale or Quintana did. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

25 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Here is a question, who would you guys rather trade in a deal with Stiever? Jared Kelley or Matthew Thompson?

Those 2 aren't even comparable. Kelley is already more highly touted than Stiever.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

Do you guys think the Rangers would take Jonathan Stiever and Elijah Tatis for Lance Lynn?

I'd rather wait a while before trading another Tatis brother.....I don't want to trade him and risk damaging Paddy's relationship with Fernando Sr. as the youngest one is supposed to be better than Fernando Jr. and the Sox supposedly have the inside track on him. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, Baron said:

There's no guarantee Cease is even good. There's no guarantee Dunning is good. Both of them were spotty. There's no guarantee the sun comes up tomorrow. 

There’s no guarantee 35 year old Lance Lynn stays healthy next year or maintains his 2020 production.  That is the risk is overpaying for one year of any asset because shit can happen.  And that’s why trading Dylan Cease for him absolute insanity and the quickest way to shorten this window.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There’s no guarantee 35 year old Lance Lynn stays healthy next year or maintains his 2020 production.  That is the risk is overpaying for one year of any asset because shit can happen.  And that’s why trading Dylan Cease for him absolute insanity and the quickest way to shorten this window.

If trading Cease does that then Rick Hahn failed miserably. 

5 hours ago, Orlando said:

You are crazy if you think that Lynn is "marginally if at all" better than  Dunning today. Lynn has been a top 5 pitcher in baseball for two strait seasons. Dunning will be good in the future but he wont be near as good as Lynn in 2021. In 2022-26  when Lynn walks and Dunning is doing well in Texas, you can easily replace Dunning level production on the FA market. 2021 is so much more important for the Sox right now and I know Giolito, Lynn and Keuchel is a real playoff top 3. 

So 2021 is more important than the five years that make up 2022 to 2026?  Why?  Once you trade Dunning he is gone and unavailable to be used in other trades.  Also, under you scenario we now need to replace both Lynn & Dunning come 2022.  Why does everyone suddenly want to bust our entire prospect load at the first opportunity.  I love Lance Lynn but he is a high risk pitcher on a one year deal and that needs to be factored into the cost.  And candidly speaking, six years of a former top 75 prospect who just put up a 3.99 FIP while coming off TJS and never pitching AAA is too steep of a price.  With seven playoff teams likely in each league next year, we’re better off saving our chips for a TOR starter at the deadline when some of our guys have had a chance to rebuild their trade value.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

While very true, I don't want to extend Lynn based on his last two years of performance, mostly because I think they're an outlier. 

I don’t know why you think they’re an outlier, he legit made changes that made him a better pitcher.  He was also really good for the Yankees for half a season before signing with the Rangers.    He’s a really good pitcher, but at his age and with his body type you just never know when he’ll fall off a cliff.  I’ll happily take that gamble, but it’s got to be at a reasonable price.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know why you think they’re an outlier, he legit made changes that made him a better pitcher.  He was also really good for the Yankees for half a season before signing with the Rangers.    He’s a really good pitcher, but at his age and with his body type you just never know when he’ll fall off a cliff.  I’ll happily take that gamble, but it’s got to be at a reasonable price.

Like Stiever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s not written in the Bible he can be extended at a reasonable rate so why are we paying for team control that doesn’t yet exist?

To clarify, you trade what you are comfortable with for his contracted services for '21. If he adds value and it makes sense to extend him, WS will be well positioned.  No one is advocating paying in advance for team control but we shouldn't assume he has to be one and done.

3 hours ago, Baron said:

How many years and struggles do you think we are going to give him then? Also why not Lopez? Let's give Lopez a shot. Your good with watching them "develop" during the 8 run innings during important games right? 

Lopez has 87 career starts, whereas Cease 26.  That’s a world of a difference.

• bmags locked this topic