Offseason Targets

soxfan49

3 hours ago, Baron said:

But he has service time that we have ownership of. Why waste that? He's cheap and who knows maybe our new pitching coach will turn him around. Remember Giolito? Give it a shot. We're not championship contenders so let's take a swing at it. 

Talk about a fucking strawman.  There is a huge difference between saying let’s give up a high end prospect for one year of Lance Lynn vs. saying we shouldn’t upgrade the rotation.  With seven playoff teams expected next year, we can afford at least one young guy in the rotation and a few more as depth / completion for back-end spots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Why is it so hard for some to understand that Lynn is a bonafide TOR starter that costs 8 million if you trade for him. Meanwhile number 5 starters are getting more than that in free agency. It’s easy to see why that path is more intriguing to Jerry.

Is Jerry dying after the 2021 season?  If not, then why in the fuck are we going all in next year?  If you’re going to trade key prospects, at least get a pitcher with three years of control.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

How are the Sox in the Dodgers league after adding just one SP?  I would like to see it explained.

I’ve agreed with a lot of your statements in this thread, but this is baseball and the Dodgers just won their first championship in like forever.  Get to the post-season with our lineup and enough pitching and anything can happen.  I just don’t agree with going all in on the 2021 season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Pitching prospects are fickle. Kelley's status to me depends on whether or not the Sox can extend Giolito. 

As much as I want them to do it, I kinda find a Giolito extension unlikely at this point due to money tied up in the position player group. 

I'm on the fence with Kelley. 

They're not gonna trade Kelley unless it's a haul back. He's got a chance to be an elite pitching prospect in a year or two.

Gio has approached Buehrle status within the organization. Every effort will be made to extend him ASAP.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Then god help us all.  

Why wouldn’t they be?  Basically all the super prospects will be on the 25 man roster, and it’s not like Abreu/Keuchel are young studs.  Personally, I think they should be going for it.

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

They can want Vaughn for Lynn all they want. They can also keep Lynn and let him walk after 2021. OR they can lower their expectations quite a bit and get more than a compensatory draft pick for him.

He’s not eligible for a compensatory pick and those might not exist with the next CBA anyways.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

If one year of Lance Lynn costs Dylan Cease, I want nothing to do with the trade market this winter. That would mean that guys with 3 years of control cost more than Sale or Quintana did. 

If he’s the only TOR arm that can acquired by trade and that’s the price, I’d 100% rather sign Kluber & Richards and pray that two of them, Cease, & Kopech can be quality starters next year and save my chips for the trade deadline.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Flash said:

To clarify, you trade what you are comfortable with for his contracted services for '21. If he adds value and it makes sense to extend him, WS will be well positioned.  No one is advocating paying in advance for team control but we shouldn't assume he has to be one and done.

That’s fair.

15 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why wouldn’t they be?  Basically all the super prospects will be on the 25 man roster, and it’s not like Abreu/Keuchel are young studs.  Personally, I think they should be going for it.

Because all our key pieces are here for the next three years bedsides Abreu.  If we add an arm, trade for someone that can help from 2021 to 2023, not just next year.  At least the Clevinger deal would have theoretically given us a TOR starter for three playoff series.  Fuck, I’d rather trade a piece like Kelley for Musgrove than give up Cease or Dunning for one year of Lynn.  At least then you still have multiple major league ready pieces to serve as depth.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Because all our key pieces are here for the next three years bedsides Abreu.  If we add an arm, trade for someone that can help from 2021 to 2023, not just next year.  At least the Clevinger deal would have theoretically given us a TOR starter for three playoff series.  Fuck, I’d rather trade a piece like Kelley for Musgrove than give up Cease or Dunning for one year of Lynn.  At least then you still have multiple major league ready pieces to serve as depth.

I agree with you in controllable pitchers in return 

Garrett Richards seems to be getting closer and closer.

His velocity is back, but not command/control.  I think that will come with a more consistent role and pushing up his innings each year removed from TJS.

Kluber just seems like much more of a roll of the dice.

Unless they're going to spend big on RF, the "all-in" years don't really start until 2022 unless the Twins and Indians (much more likely) start tearing down their teams.   Obviously, Abreu is going to decline, but you don't make your 2020 plans (trying to leverage more MVP year out of him in the contention window) largely based on that, because the odds of him having a repeat of his 2019 season again aren't that great to begin with.

• bmags locked this topic