Offseason Targets

soxfan49

31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Most of the time you get a low risk return, which is why 29 other teams didn't talk him in to coming over.

If you signed an mlb free agent for that much you'd be practically guaranteed it. But I look at the Rays and see a team that just rolled their way to a pennant with a roster full of low risk acquisitions. It all comes down to whether the organization determines he's good enough or not. It would basically be a depth signing. I'd rather if the Sox are investing serious resources in a player it goes into the pitching staff where its actually needed. If they do that, then the best low risk options are what they had have to consider in right. Even if the Sox were willing to pay whatever it took to get Bauer and Springer, I'd still rather put that springer money into more pitching and go with Engel and maybe a guy like Sung-Bum if the Sox think he's mlb caliber. If the Sox could sign Bauer, Springer and more pitching, I'd still go with more pitching on top of that rather than invest in springer. Right field production just isnt the nexus of future success when the Sox already have a top three offense that is on the upswing either way

Edited by Vulture

13 minutes ago, Vulture said:

If you signed an mlb free agent for that much you'd be practically guaranteed it. But I look at the Rays and see a team that just rolled their way to a pennant with a roster full of low risk acquisitions. It all comes down to whether the organization determines he's good enough or not. It would basically be a depth signing. I'd rather if the Sox are investing serious resources in a player it goes into the pitching staff where its actually needed. If they do that, then the best low risk options are what they had have to consider in right. Even if the Sox were willing to pay whatever it took to get Bauer and Springer, I'd still rather put that springer money into more pitching and go with Engel and maybe a guy like Sung-Bum if the Sox think he's mlb caliber. If the Sox could sign Bauer, Springer and more pitching, I'd still go with more pitching on top of that rather than invest in springer. Right field production just isnt the nexus of future success when the Sox already have a top three offense that is on the upswing either way

That's a long way of saying no one else was interested in the guy, even the Tampa Rays.

3 hours ago, Vulture said:

Since you used the Rays as your example, no, it comes down to whether the organization has the ABILITY to determine if a FA is good or not, and does so CORRECTLY. Rays, Sox, not equal. 

1 minute ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Is Rosario any better than Adam Engel at this point? He does bat lefty, but that would be an expensive platoon partner for Adam.

Yes he hit RHP very well last year.  I think he’d be a very good platoon partner and someone you wouldn’t have to give multiple years to if you claim him.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Yes he hit RHP very well last year.  I think he’d be a very good platoon partner and someone you wouldn’t have to give multiple years to if you claim him.

I'm not against the idea of an Engel/Rosario platoon, I'm just saying at nearly $10M, Rosario would be a very expensive platoon. I think the Twins end up bringing him back for cheaper.

5 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Is Rosario any better than Adam Engel at this point? He does bat lefty, but that would be an expensive platoon partner for Adam.

45 HR last 2 seasons. For a fraction of Springer's cost? I'd jump on him (IF nontendered). A platoon of him and Engel should work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I'm not against the idea of an Engel/Rosario platoon, I'm just saying at nearly $10M, Rosario would be a very expensive platoon. I think the Twins end up bringing him back for cheaper.

Twins don’t want him back

• bmags locked this topic