Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just now, Sleepy Harold said:

From what I saw of him at the Alt Site he looked fine over there. I think comparing his 1B defense to Eloy's LF defense is definitely a reach, but to each his own. 

I'll admit that maybe he just had a bad camp defensively, but damn it was bad. 

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It was beyond one bad throw, and one bad game. 

It's pretty hard to make 3 errors on one play. 

Sure Jack, you’ve really proved you’ve given this a lot of thought.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've read reports that see him more as a 20 HR guy, but they all rave about his ability to hit and his approach at the plate. Could he be a 30+ HR guy? sure. I'm not convinced it's likely though. 

I think Youkilis is a good average comp.

In Youkilis's best power years, he hit 27 and 29 HR respectively, and the other years he was in the 16-19 range. 

Also, when Vaughn was in the minors after he was drafted he didn't destroy either level of A ball, so it makes me question him being MLB ready after not even going to AA yet, which is the real testing ground for a hitter. I want to see him at AA before making any judgments about his MLB readiness. If he destroys AA, sure bring him up. 

Never look at professional stats from a college player's draft year. They're meaningless. Vaughn is the best 1B prospect in baseball and deserves the billing. Plus power, plus hit and will be a big OBP guy. Elite level aptitude at the plate, exit velocity numbers as well. Paul Konerko is a much better comp for Vaughn. Dude is going to mash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It still doesn't change the fact that he's likely a DH and so is Eloy. 

Vaughn is a very good prospect, but honestly I'd rather pencil Eloy in at DH and find other options for LF and as long as Abreu is productive, he's got 1B locked up. Abreu has worked on his defense and is adequate there now. 

What I saw from Vaughn during summer camp was Frank Thomas bad at 1B. 

This is absurd and just small sample size nonsense to be as frank as I can be. Vaughn isn't a plus defender at 1B but he's fine. Average 1B defense for a long time. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Never look at professional stats from a college player's draft year. They're meaningless. Vaughn is the best 1B prospect in baseball and deserves the billing. Plus power, plus hit and will be a big OBP guy. Elite level aptitude at the plate, exit velocity numbers as well. Paul Konerko is a much better comp for Vaughn. Dude is going to mash. 

I get it but I do have to concur that I think the flat out assumption of him being MLB ready early next year when he hasn't even seen AA level yet seems a little silly to me.

Edited by RagahRagah

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I could see him being like Anthony Rendon prior to the juiced ball. 20-25 homers, 40+ doubles and an average around .300

Just now, RagahRagah said:

I get it but I do have the concur that I think the flat out assumption of him being MLB ready early next year when he hasn't even seen AA level yet seems a little silly to me.

That's not what I'm arguing. I've never once said that. I don't think he starts in the majors personally. 

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Like I said....I'm not completely sold on Vaughn. I have no doubts about him as a contact hitter, but I'm not sure he's a 30 HR guy. 

I could see him as a guy that hits .300+ every year with a ridiculous OBP but only hits 18-25 HR/season with 35-40 2B. 

I think a guy like Vaughn has value, but I'm not sure how much value he has as a 1B/DH only guy. 

The more I think about it, the more I lean toward him as a trade piece. 

I'm sorry, isn't this guy a killer to have in your order?

You keep putting All Star levels on him and that's not enough.  I don't get it.

Edited by turnin' two

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

It absolutely astounds me how so many think college stats translate to the professional game.  They're completely different games. Tools translate.  Stats do not.  

6 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

For the first 5 years of his career, Carlos Lee averaged 31 doubles and 24 HR. With a .334 OBP  That's not good enough for Vaughn? 

We need to preserve the Lee comp for when our big baby boy Ben Bailey gets here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I'm sorry, isn't this guy a killer to have in your order?

You keep putting All Star levels on him and that's not enough.  I don't get it.

Um, like I said if I thought he wasn't a butcher at 1B it would be fine. 

If you're maximizing your lineup, both Vaughn and Eloy are DHs and while they're both good hitters, Eloy brings more to the table. 

19 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If a player cannot average .330/50 hr/60 doubles/150 rbi and play gold glove defense then he has no place on this team 

The definition of the ad absurdum argument. 

I told you guys that in my opinion there's 2 spots(DH, 1B) for 3 guys(Eloy, Abreu, Vaughn) and the I'm not sure that Vaughn is good enough defensively to play 1B. 

This isn't a fact, this is an opinion. It's not a problem as long as they continue to attempt to hide Eloy in LF. Unfortunately, that jeopardizes both Eloy and Robert's health. 

Vaughn is a hell of an offensive prospect and I'm not arguing that. What I'm arguing is whether or not he's completely blocked. 

BTW I can see the Konerko comps for his ceiling if you're talking about Paulie's best years. 

This is Parkman's opinion on roster construction. 

Sports forums are to discuss this type of stuff, right? 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic