Offseason Targets

soxfan49

15 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Saw Al’s beef retweet this. Did anyone catch Jesse saying that?

And yes , I know we are tired of the beef. This is more in reference to the tweet he’s responding to.

Well JR's pursuit of 2nd place is ready to go.  I cant wait for more dumpster diving hoping for lightning in a bottle.  So much for putting the pedal to the floor to go for it during the competitive years.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

People are saying that they are one of the teams that are going to spend so I don’t buy this. I think they will spend but just not splurge on one guy.

If the league wide losses are true, spending could be defined as cutting less or increasing slightly.

Just now, BamaDoc said:

If the league wide losses are true, spending could be defined as cutting less or increasing slightly.

But in the end, Springer and Bauer will get paid.  Someone will sign them.  It just wont be us.  Just like someone signed Machado and Harper.  

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So much for signing Tony being a sign that we were going to spend.

He is going to add to the payroll, just not going after the top guys. I don’t get how some don’t understand this in a year where some teams have to unload payroll.

Just now, fathom said:

He is going to add to the payroll, just not going after the top guys. I don’t get how some don’t understand this in a year where some teams have to unload payroll.

Because why wouldn't they.  Adding a ton of 3rd tier guys and trading top prospects should go smashingly well.

Merkin, Bruce Levine and multiple national guys have said the Sox will spend. I am not saying I don’t believe Rogers, I do. This was about free agency so maybe the Sox are no longer going for Springer/ Bauer. Maybe Springer does want to stay East and Bauer is way out of their price range (even bad pitchers are getting PAID) Those two and Ozuna are the only three “top tier” free agents. Ozuna was never rumored to be a possibility. The food accounts have banged the drum on trading for a SP. This is not going to make the sky fall for me. There is a path to a very good offseason outside of Springer/Bauer/Ozuna.

Just now, fathom said:

To compete for a championship they need to add high end guys to put them over the top.  Just getting bodies in here that are better than Mazara is not good enough.  Just getting rando pitchers to take a spot in the rotation is not good enough.  

• Like 2

Why is anyone surprised things/we are moving slowly?  Sox have always had a budget.  They likely lost money.  The revenue forecast for this coming year is all over the place depending on factors no one can provide answers for (how many games, fans or not, etc).  The non tenders will give a glimpse of where other teams are monetarily.  If there are a ton of cuts, I would expect us to be cautious and get a couple lower cost pieces.  Maybe one or two decent additions but reserve most activity for the trade deadline where the financial picture should be much clearer.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Merkin, Bruce Levine and multiple national guys have said the Sox will spend. I am not saying I don’t believe Rogers, I do. This was about free agency so maybe the Sox are no longer going for Springer/ Bauer. Maybe Springer does want to stay East and Bauer is way out of their price range (even bad pitchers are getting PAID) Those two and Ozuna are the only three “top tier” free agents. Ozuna was never rumored to be a possibility. The food accounts have banged the drum on trading for a SP. This is not going to make the sky fall for me. There is a path to a very good offseason outside of Springer/Bauer/Ozuna.

I never expected them to do more than sign a pair of pitchers from the group of Quintana/Richards/Odorizzi/Walker/Archer and sign Joc Pederson and maybe Michael Brantley for DH or a closer.  If they did all of that, they'd still be adding $40M to the existing payroll, and $20M to last year's. 

This is still disappointing, but I'm not surprised at all.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I never expected them to do more than sign a pair of pitchers from the group of Quintana/Richards/Odorizzi/Walker/Archer and sign Joc Pederson and maybe Michael Brantley. 

This is still disappointing, but I'm not surprised at all. 

I dont want my 3rd starter in the playoffs being those guys.  This is the crux of the issue.  We have to play matchup games.  We need high end pitching to get past the different rounds of the playoffs.  We cant count on Cease/Reylo/Kopech yet.  So right now we are a starter short to compete against the elite of the AL.  

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Typical Jerry spending bullshit. He hasn't gone over the top since he signed Albert Belle in 1996, and that was more of an FU to the other owners for not squeezing the MLBPA more in 1994-95. 

6 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

I dont want my 3rd starter in the playoffs being those guys.  This is the crux of the issue.  We have to play matchup games.  We need high end pitching to get past the different rounds of the playoffs.  We cant count on Cease/Reylo/Kopech yet.  So right now we are a starter short to compete against the elite of the AL.  

Richards and Archer have upside, and Odorizzi is a solid 3. It's not the worst thing in the world. The Sox have a killer offense so they can make up for some of their SP deficiencies. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic