Offseason Targets

soxfan49

I know Vaughn will be awesome but he won’t start in the MLB and what if he stinks it up in AAA to start the year? Then you have a DH hole for a long time. I don’t mind filling it with someone cheap and productive like Schwarber.

Edited by Orlando

Just now, Orlando said:

I know Vaughn will be awesome but he won’t start in the MLB and what if he stinks it up in AAA to start the year? Then you have a DH hole for a long time. I don’t mind filling it with someone cheap and productive like Scahwarber

I’m not against it, but I think he will get a better offer for more playing time 

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know Vaughn will be awesome but he won’t start in the MLB and what if he stinks it up in AAA to start the year? Then you have a DH hole for a long time. I don’t mind filling it with someone cheap and productive like Schwarber.

How about Brantley? He knows the AL Central well.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Bringing up Vaughn is a luxury, not a necessity. Bryant already proved that the CBA is the CBA. 

The Sox could really use a high OBP player on their team. Why not call him up, especially when you compare him to Youk or Votto?

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think the only guy I would consider holding him down for is Brantley on a one year deal. Guy just hits. But I'm sure he could get 2.

Edited by manbearpuig

World Series or bust? Don't they know this team isnt ready to win yet? They need to wait until 2022 or 2023 to start saying that. How the hell are they going to beat the Dodgers or anyone else in the AL? 

Edited by Baron

2 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Lefty hitting right fielder with high OBP...Phillies reportedly lost $2 billion last year and their team has been under .500 last two years.   Stievers, Kelly and Sheets for Bryce Harper.  Who says no?   

Harper would be awesome.....but I think Wheeler is more realistic because they were after him last year. 

Just now, Baron said:

World Series or bust? Don't they know this teeam isnt ready to win yet? They need to wait until 2022 or 2023 to start saying that. 

I'm fine with them trading anyone but Kopech and Crochet. While I don't want to trade Vaughn, I could stomach it because of his positional inflexibility. (1B/DH only) 

Bucket said that Giolito has reached Buehrle status within the org so they're trying to keep him. 

5 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Lefty hitting right fielder with high OBP...Phillies reportedly lost $2 billion last year and their team has been under .500 last two years.   Stievers, Kelly and Sheets for Bryce Harper.  Who says no?   

The Phillies did not lose 2 billion dollars last year.

3 minutes ago, Baron said:

World Series or bust? Don't they know this team isnt ready to win yet? They need to wait until 2022 or 2023 to start saying that. How the hell are they going to beat the Dodgers or anyone else in the AL? 

Thats why its laughable that anyone thinks that our pitching staff even if every one of the young pitchers hit are ready to go toe-to-toe with the Dodgers or the elites of the AL in a playoff series.  If they go all in and get Snell or Bauer sure.  But the Quintanas and other associated 3rd tier guys are not going to do it.  They need to match up with multiple top guys.  I would say that our current #2 is not a true playoff #2 right now.  

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I'm fine with them trading anyone but Kopech and Crochet. While I don't want to trade Vaughn, I could stomach it because of his positional inflexibility. (1B/DH only) 

Bucket said that Giolito has reached Buehrle status within the org so they're trying to keep him. 

Wait now your talking about trading Vaughn. Didn't we just have a discussion in this same thread talking about this team isn't ready to win??? Goodness. 

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

They can say it all they want, but unless they are willing to engage top free agents, they aren't actually showing us that they even believe it.

They're never going to shop at the top of the market until Jerry is no longer with us.  that's just how it is.

Someone like Tomoyuki Sugano would be a really good addition to be honest. He's older but ready to go now. I just don't how willing he is to come to Chicago. 

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

Wait now your talking about trading Vaughn. Didn't we just have a discussion in this same thread talking about this team isn't ready to win??? Goodness. 

Yeah, I did. 

I would prefer they don't trade Vaughn but I could stomach it. I'd still be pissed, it would still be the wrong decision, but I wouldn't completely throw up in my mouth. 

Trading Vaughn is like 90% bad but there is the 10% of positional flexibility that occurs from not having 2 guys that play only 1st base on your team. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, I did. 

I would prefer they don't trade Vaughn but I could stomach it. I'd still be pissed, it would still be the wrong decision, but I wouldn't completely throw up in my mouth. 

I’d rather they trade Kopech than Vaughn

14 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

What???

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’d rather they trade Kopech than Vaughn

They're not going to get another TOR SP unless they let Kopech and Crochet develop. Those guys have special arms, just like Rodon, you let them play out, even if they don't work. 

There's enough of a likelihood to have a TOR of some combination of Giolito, Crochet and Kopech in 2023. You want to trade that? 

I'd understand if they traded Kopech as the centerpiece for Blake Snell, as long as Vaughn didn't go with him.  I wouldn't be ok if they traded him for anyone else. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• bmags locked this topic