Offseason Targets

soxfan49

Just for the record I don't agree with the Springer thread being closed just because people were discussing optimism, hope, expectations ,reality, and pessimism. No one was getting all that belligerent .

Don't tell me not to live
Just sit and putter
Life's candy and the sun's
A ball of butter
Don't bring around a cloud
To rain on my parade
Don't tell me not to fly
I've simply got to
If someone takes a spill
It's me and not you
Who told you you're allowed
To rain on my parade

There's actually a baseball reference in that old Broadway tune.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Dahl has always had really disparate Rocky Mountain splits.  Is there a tangible reason why Dahl was so bad last year?

He tried playing through a shoulder injury that he didnt tell the team about before having surgery in September.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

large-screenshot2.jpg

I'm forever blowing ballgames, pretty ballgames in the air.

I come from Chi, I hardly try, just go to bat and fade and die

Fortune's coming my way, that's why I hardly care

I'm forever blowing ballgames, and the gamblers treat us fair.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just for the record I don't agree with the Springer thread being closed just because people were discussing optimism, hope, expectations ,reality, and pessimism. No one was getting all that belligerent .

Don't tell me not to live
Just sit and putter
Life's candy and the sun's
A ball of butter
Don't bring around a cloud
To rain on my parade
Don't tell me not to fly
I've simply got to
If someone takes a spill
It's me and not you
Who told you you're allowed
To rain on my parade

I actually think that any FA other than Springer and Bauer are realistic. Obviously Realmuto isn't even worth discussing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 hours ago, fathom said:

Rosario or Joc, who do you prefer?

I think Joc is a perfect fit and keeps getting docked for being really bad at something the sox are already excellent at. He was bad last year, but still hit the snot out of the ball. His best position appears to be RF defensively.

He's performed on a high stage and was great in the postseason, coming off a world series win. He won't be very expensive, he's easy to move off. 

But I am comfy with JBJ for defense where he could be exceptional in RF, but I keep having to point out that his great year offensively last year was a red hot september. He had a 76 first half wRC+ and a 151 second half wRC+.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think Joc is a perfect fit and keeps getting docked for being really bad at something the sox are already excellent at. He was bad last year, but still hit the snot out of the ball. His best position appears to be RF defensively.

He's performed on a high stage and was great in the postseason, coming off a world series win. He won't be very expensive, he's easy to move off. 

But I am comfy with JBJ for defense where he could be exceptional in RF, but I keep having to point out that his great year offensively last year was a red hot september. He had a 76 first half wRC+ and a 151 second half wRC+.

JBJ’s offensive numbers were way too flukey last year IMO and I’d rather have Joc’s bat (2018 to 2019 version) against RHP than JBJ’s glove

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

JBJ’s offensive numbers were way too flukey last year IMO and I’d rather have Joc’s bat (2018 to 2019 version) against RHP than JBJ’s glove

One thing that is attractive of that to me (as someone who even mentioned trading for JBJ last year) is between Robert/JBJ/Anderson being able to really limit what is needed of Eloy. Anderson should be capable to soft hit/shallow left balls, robert can shade more to LF since JBJ can cover more of RF.

Of course, that still leaves Eloy's biggest enemy: the wall. But maybe the league would allow us to put an innertube around Eloy since so much of the rest of the field is covered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bmags said:

One thing that is attractive of that to me (as someone who even mentioned trading for JBJ last year) is between Robert/JBJ/Anderson being able to really limit what is needed of Eloy. Anderson should be capable to soft hit/shallow left balls, robert can shade more to LF since JBJ can cover more of RF.

Of course, that still leaves Eloy's biggest enemy: the wall. But maybe the league would allow us to put an innertube around Eloy since so much of the rest of the field is covered.

As long as Eloy doesn't "soft hit" Anderson and knock him out of the lineup. 

36 minutes ago, Flash said:

Dahl...platooned w/Engel. Less expensive and high upside.

Dahl is injury prone though. We don’t need another outfielder that gets injured.

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Rosario or Joc, who do you prefer?

Joc. He’s good defensively and also would rake at the Rate. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If we don’t get Joc than I would try to make a trade for this. I don’t see why people are comparing him to Adam Dunn.

They are comparing his offensive numbers to Dunn. Which is a spot on comparison. Anyone who has suggested Gallo has said he is Dunn but with good defense.

If Dahl is healthy, I inquire first.  

Between Joc or Rosario, Joc is playable in RF so he's the obvious choice.  

If no Joc, JBJ's defense is appealing, knowing full well he's not great with the bat and his overall mediocre numbers are heavily skewed by the occasional scorching hot month. 

Edited by SouthWallace

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

They are comparing his offensive numbers to Dunn. Which is a spot on comparison. Anyone who has suggested Gallo has said he is Dunn but with good defense.

Gotcha. I still think he would be a good fit for this team as well as Joc but if we don’t land Springer. 

31 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Dahl is injury prone though. We don’t need another outfielder that gets injured.

Joc. He’s good defensively and also would rake at the Rate. 

Of course Dahl is injury prone. If not, he would be unavailable...especially at $2.4M. The question is can he avoid injury, especially in a platoon situation? If yes...he's our guy.

My list of preference:

Joc Pederson - I think he really gives you what you're looking for - short term option for the time being, power, can bounce around positions, affordable

Avi Garcia - You have to at least consider it. Brewers are looking to dump salary, he's somewhat expensive by 2021 standards and coming off a bad year. That being said he solves the issue, 1 year fix, very capable, and I'd assume it literally takes nothign to get it done -- aka just take him, and maybe even get a nice swap/upgrade on a minor leaguer to take that salary. 

Wait and see: aka - just sit and wait for the deadline. Get yourself a Haniger or whoever develops on the market. See what Engel does. See what your offense is lacking in 2021 and then acquire. Acquisition cost for a RF is generally pretty low. 

Nick Markakis - I don't see him leaving ATL, but he's just a guy who consistently gets it done. Nice bat, nice profile, nice price, short duration, vet. 

Springer - I don't feel like paying $25mm a year to a RF who will be past his prime soon. Having that contract on the books in 2024 won't be ideal. Add to that there are a number of decent options via trade, non-tender, etc. I'd explore those first. Edit: this is under Reinsdorf thinking ... if he was like Illitch or any other owner pushing the pedal down and absorbing payroll, I'm more than fine with him at the top of this list. I just dont want a situation in 2023-25 where we're like the Cubs, in the middle of a run, but crying poor and not adding the necessary final pieces to get it done

Puig - I mean, i think he has as much upside as anybody on this list. I absolutely have no problem signing him - i even considered putting him above springer and markakis on  my list.

Adam Eaton - listen I don't love the guys personality. I'm not sure he fits on this team or with TLR, however I can somewhat see a match with TLR plus the guy has delivered in the past and is affordable enough. Do i think it happens? no. Would i be okay with it? Yes. 

D. Dahl - Mazara 2.0 -- i mean it's taking a guy who isn't that bad, or really that good either. it's another flyer hoping he can be something with a change of scenery. however as most can attest to, usually going from Coors to elsewhere doesn't work out great. Plus he's not really a RF

JBJ - to me he's just Engel right? it'd be nice to have those two bouncing around as 3/4 options around the OF, but doesn't move the needle for me. 

Josh Reddick - kind of Markakis light. 

Edited by BrianAnderson

6 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Gotcha. I still think he would be a good fit for this team as well as Joc but if we don’t land Springer. 

I wouldn't hate it. I would just prefer to plug as many holes as possible through free agency first.

Edited by manbearpuig

• bmags locked this topic