Offseason Targets

soxfan49

13 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

Dahl is a possible option if the Sox truly aren't looking to spend significant $ on Springer.

I'd be all over Dahl.  He can play all 3 OF positions, if not well, then competently. Hits for power and average,hits the ball everywhere , LH, splits are fine against LH's. Home/Away splits not that lopsided. He's injury prone sure, but when he is healthy he is an All Star type, plus he won't be 27 till April.

His surgery was in late September and he should be ready to go for spring training. It required repairing fraying in the labrum, fixing a small area of the rotator cuff, and removing a bone spur and bursa sac , which were causing the impingement that created the pain.

I don't know how teams will approach him since he might not be able to pass a physical until February. I'd either offer him a 3 or 4 year contract with an escalating base AAV with teams options after 2 years and also throw in incentive clauses for performance . No just games played clauses because then players ignore their injuries. He was due $2.5-$2.7M in arb. this year . So perhaps a 2 year contact for $6-7M but incentives giving him a chance to earn $1M more in 2021 and $3M more in 2022 plus team options for a 3rd and 4th year with a  higher pay scale  or buyout .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Dahl has had 2-3 months of really good MLB play, and tons of time nursing minor and major injuries. He is 26 (which is great), but Is he really the right fit for a team that wants to win now? I'm just not sure it makes enough sense. Potential is definitely there and his fielding would be better than many options. I guess it really comes down to the contract demands for Joc and others. He should definitely be in play...but looking deeper into his numbers and history it seems too much like a project. 

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

Dahl has had 2-3 months of really good MLB play, and tons of time nursing minor and major injuries. He is 26 (which is great), but Is he really the right fit for a team that wants to win now? I'm just not sure it makes enough sense. Potential is definitely there and his fielding would be better than many options. I guess it really comes down to the contract demands for Joc and others. He should definitely be in play...but looking deeper into his numbers and history it seems too much like a project. 

I've been going back and forth on Dahl all morning. The lineup should be so good where they could gamble on him in the 8-spot. But yeah, I think I prefer someone who can stay on the field.

25 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

If Dahl is healthy, I inquire first.  

Between Joc or Rosario, Joc is playable in RF so he's the obvious choice.  

If no Joc, JBJ's defense is appealing, knowing full well he's not great with the bat and his overall mediocre numbers are heavily skewed by the occasional scorching hot month. 

Dahl had shoulder surgery in September. You won't have any assurances he is healthy if you sign him now.

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

Dahl had shoulder surgery in September. You won't have any assurances he is healthy if you sign him now.

16 minutes ago, bmags said:

In dahl's All Star season two years ago he played 100 games.

I was unaware of that.  That's probably too much injury risk to be dependable.  

33 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Dodgers took a chance on a 31yr. old AJ Pollock and he's done well for them . Pollock is the better fielder but Dahl's OPS when he played before last year was .867 (2016-2019) which is better than Pollock and also very good.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

My list of preference:

Joc Pederson - I think he really gives you what you're looking for - short term option for the time being, power, can bounce around positions, affordable

Avi Garcia - You have to at least consider it. Brewers are looking to dump salary, he's somewhat expensive by 2021 standards and coming off a bad year. That being said he solves the issue, 1 year fix, very capable, and I'd assume it literally takes nothign to get it done -- aka just take him, and maybe even get a nice swap/upgrade on a minor leaguer to take that salary. 

Wait and see: aka - just sit and wait for the deadline. Get yourself a Haniger or whoever develops on the market. See what Engel does. See what your offense is lacking in 2021 and then acquire. Acquisition cost for a RF is generally pretty low. 

Nick Markakis - I don't see him leaving ATL, but he's just a guy who consistently gets it done. Nice bat, nice profile, nice price, short duration, vet. 

Springer - I don't feel like paying $25mm a year to a RF who will be past his prime soon. Having that contract on the books in 2024 won't be ideal. Add to that there are a number of decent options via trade, non-tender, etc. I'd explore those first. Edit: this is under Reinsdorf thinking ... if he was like Illitch or any other owner pushing the pedal down and absorbing payroll, I'm more than fine with him at the top of this list. I just dont want a situation in 2023-25 where we're like the Cubs, in the middle of a run, but crying poor and not adding the necessary final pieces to get it done

Puig - I mean, i think he has as much upside as anybody on this list. I absolutely have no problem signing him - i even considered putting him above springer and markakis on  my list.

Adam Eaton - listen I don't love the guys personality. I'm not sure he fits on this team or with TLR, however I can somewhat see a match with TLR plus the guy has delivered in the past and is affordable enough. Do i think it happens? no. Would i be okay with it? Yes. 

D. Dahl - Mazara 2.0 -- i mean it's taking a guy who isn't that bad, or really that good either. it's another flyer hoping he can be something with a change of scenery. however as most can attest to, usually going from Coors to elsewhere doesn't work out great. Plus he's not really a RF

JBJ - to me he's just Engel right? it'd be nice to have those two bouncing around as 3/4 options around the OF, but doesn't move the needle for me. 

Josh Reddick - kind of Markakis light. 

Of the FA's I think this is the obvious tiers for RF (in terms of fit for the Sox, specifically), IMO:

Tier 1: Springer

Tier 2 (in order): Joc Pederson, David Dahl

Tier 3 (in order): Brantley (docked for not rot really being a RF), Jackie Bradley Jr, Adam Eaton (docked for being an asshat and a likely torched bridge, despite a pretty good fit)

Tier 4 (in order): Josh Reddick, Nick Markasis, Robbie Grossman, Jurickson Profar (not really a RF, but I am sure he'd be better than at least half the guys before him on this list)

3 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Dahl SCREAMS 2021 version of Mazara

Don’t even want to think about alternatives to Springer. I know I might be beating a dead horse but damnit I’m so tired of this organization cutting corners or losing out on big time players, pay Springer and Richards, trade for Snell, grab a closer and let’s roll, assuming all guys stay healthy and keep progressing this is an AL Pennant roster. 

28 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Of the FA's I think this is the obvious tiers for RF (in terms of fit for the Sox, specifically), IMO:

Tier 1: Springer

Tier 2 (in order): Joc Pederson, David Dahl

Tier 3 (in order): Brantley (docked for not rot really being a RF), Jackie Bradley Jr, Adam Eaton (docked for being an asshat and a likely torched bridge, despite a pretty good fit)

Tier 4 (in order): Josh Reddick, Nick Markasis, Robbie Grossman, Jurickson Profar (not really a RF, but I am sure he'd be better than at least half the guys before him on this list)

IMO we need defense in RF.

Assuming no Springer, Joc is #1 for me and then it's a real dropoff from there.

If Markakis can still play RF well, then he would be of interest.  JBJ's offensive year last year probably isn't who he really is.  Engel and Leury + a $7M RP is probably a much better overall move than say $7M to JBJ.

I don't really want to see an expensive trade in terms of prospects.  I'd like Starling Marte the most but he might cost a decent prospect.  I wouldn't mind giving them Adolfo or Lopez though if MIA is interested.

I bet would could take Avi back from MIL for basically nothing, just give them a non-prospect who yet shows up on prospect lists like Pilkington and take back the salary and he's ours IMO.  That's basically the same as signing a FA.

13 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

IMO we need defense in RF.

Assuming no Springer, Joc is #1 for me and then it's a real dropoff from there.

If Markakis can still play RF well, then he would be of interest.  JBJ's offensive year last year probably isn't who he really is.  Engel and Leury + a $7M RP is probably a much better overall move than say $7M to JBJ.

I don't really want to see an expensive trade in terms of prospects.  I'd like Starling Marte the most but he might cost a decent prospect.  I wouldn't mind giving them Adolfo or Lopez though if MIA is interested.

I bet would could take Avi back from MIL for basically nothing, just give them a non-prospect who yet shows up on prospect lists like Pilkington and take back the salary and he's ours IMO.  That's basically the same as signing a FA.

Starling Marte is a guy who would have made a ton of sense to acquire last deadline.  Doubt Miami moves him a couple months after trading for him, though.  

My list, as you can probably see, is definitely tiered in terms of handedness and defensive ability.  Sans Springer, who is obviously the best player of the group by a wide margin, the rest fall in line mostly in terms of how they play defense.  Except for maybe Joc, but he'd be a straight platoon in RF and his defensive is fine.  

• bmags locked this topic