Offseason Targets

soxfan49

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Starling Marte is a guy who would have made a ton of sense to acquire last deadline.  Doubt Miami moves him a couple months after trading for him, though.  

My list, as you can probably see, is definitely tiered in terms of handedness and defensive ability.  Sans Springer, who is obviously the best player of the group by a wide margin, the rest fall in line mostly in terms of how they play defense.  Except for maybe Joc, but he'd be a straight platoon in RF and his defensive is fine.  

Oh and Avi still isn't a fit for this team.  He literally checks none of the boxes.  

• Like 2

To me, depending on what the roster size is going to be for 2021, Dahl is a guy you bring in along with another OF.  You definitely cannot count on him to play 125+ games in RF.  He's an option, not the solution.  

Bring in both Joc and Dahl.  If everyone is healthy, Eloy can spend a little more time at DH and it also gives the Sox a little safety blanket on Vaughn, as well as the inury prone Eloy and Robert.

Another combo that I kind of like is Brantley + Dahl.  Brantley DHs to start the year, Dahl in RF.  Again, helps with injury concerns as a Eloy/Robert/Dahl OF is going to spend some time on the IL, and Brantley can fill in the corners with Engel/Leury as needed.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

To me, depending on what the roster size is going to be for 2021, Dahl is a guy you bring in along with another OF.  You definitely cannot count on him to play 125+ games in RF.  He's an option, not the solution.  

Bring in both Joc and Dahl.  If everyone is healthy, Eloy can spend a little more time at DH and it also gives the Sox a little safety blanket on Vaughn, as well as the inury prone Eloy and Robert.

Another combo that I kind of like is Brantley + Dahl.  Brantley DHs to start the year, Dahl in RF.  Again, helps with injury concerns as a Eloy/Robert/Dahl OF is going to spend some time on the IL, and Brantley can fill in the corners with Engel/Leury as needed.  

I'm definitely a fan of the signing 2 OF approach: one that would platoon in one spot with Engel and one that would primarily DH but could spell Eloy in LF.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

I'm definitely a fan of the signing 2 OF approach: one that would platoon in one spot with Engel and one that would primarily DH but could spell Eloy in LF.

Yep.  I think it makes a ton of sense assuming Springer isn't happening. 

Even with Springer, I'd still try to bring in Joc or Dahl.  Its not like either is going to be expensive.  

• Like 1

Joc is a 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

This is what I was thinking actually. If you can have Joc and Dahl you can piece together defensive alignment all over the field.  Late game defense of the combo of Robert, Joc, Dahl, and Engel is world class. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EloyJenkins said:

Joc is a 

This is what I was thinking actually. If you can have Joc and Dahl you can piece together defensive alignment all over the field.  Late game defense of the combo of Robert, Joc, Dahl, and Engel is world class. 

More balance in the lineup since you add some lefties as well.

If we are doubling up positions it's not outfield I'd want more help where I think Leury/Engel are really quality backups at this point.

I'd get La Stella whose approach and versatility (and handedness) would be perfect for this team.

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Of the FA's I think this is the obvious tiers for RF (in terms of fit for the Sox, specifically), IMO:

Tier 1: Springer

Tier 2 (in order): Joc Pederson, David Dahl

Tier 3 (in order): Brantley (docked for not rot really being a RF), Jackie Bradley Jr, Adam Eaton (docked for being an asshat and a likely torched bridge, despite a pretty good fit)

Tier 4 (in order): Josh Reddick, Nick Markasis, Robbie Grossman, Jurickson Profar (not really a RF, but I am sure he'd be better than at least half the guys before him on this list)

I think I can agree with this list mostly. I'm higher on Dahl as a player over Pederson but the injuries are a big concern . I doubt anyone signs him til he is fully recovered from his surgery and that might not be till February . Plus the surgery was on his right shoulder which is his throwing arm even though he bats LH ,so not ideal for RF. This place will be a mess if we wait that long for a RF .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'd be all over Dahl.  He can play all 3 OF positions, if not well, then competently. Hits for power and average,hits the ball everywhere , LH, splits are fine against LH's. Home/Away splits not that lopsided. He's injury prone sure, but when he is healthy he is an All Star type, plus he won't be 27 till April.

His surgery was in late September and he should be ready to go for spring training. It required repairing fraying in the labrum, fixing a small area of the rotator cuff, and removing a bone spur and bursa sac , which were causing the impingement that created the pain.

I don't know how teams will approach him since he might not be able to pass a physical until February. I'd either offer him a 3 or 4 year contract with an escalating base AAV with teams options after 2 years and also throw in incentive clauses for performance . No just games played clauses because then players ignore their injuries. He was due $2.5-$2.7M in arb. this year . So perhaps a 2 year contact for $6-7M but incentives giving him a chance to earn $1M more in 2021 and $3M more in 2022 plus team options for a 3rd and 4th year with a  higher pay scale  or buyout .

Yeah, I disagree with you. Signing an perma-cripple whose numbers are inflated by Coors Field is a bad idea, IMO.

His splits are pretty telling: Dahl career splits A (snicker) 111 wrc+ AT Coors Field? A pathetic 87 wrc+ away? Put in more GLARING terms, an awesome.918 OPS in Coors, but a pathetic OPS of .722 away. (And remember, we'd be getting more of the .722 OPS, since The Rate is away from Coors.)

He only has a 109 wrc+ career against RHP, which really ain't that good, since some of that would have come at Coors. 

Also, his DRS is negative at all OF spots.

Also, the fact that Colorado gave up on him must mean that his injuries are more significant than one might suspect at first glance.

Were this the 2018-2019 SOX, Dahl might have been worth a gamble. But for the 2021 SOX, he's EXACTLY the wrong player for RF, IMO.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

44 minutes ago, bmags said:

If we are doubling up positions it's not outfield I'd want more help where I think Leury/Engel are really quality backups at this point.

I'd get La Stella whose approach and versatility (and handedness) would be perfect for this team.

Adding Joc and La Stella would be ideal if they’re keeping Vaughn down for a while.

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

And Joc is better offensively than Rosario, so you’re really not sacrificing anything

The only reason I was considering Rosario over Joc two days ago was Rosario has hit the toughest pitchers in the division well. However after researching Joc’s defense in RF, I’m on team Joc.

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

The only reason I was considering Rosario over Joc two days ago was Rosario has hit the toughest pitchers in the division well. However after researching Joc’s defense in RF, I’m on team Joc.

Joc was also clutch in the playoffs this year. He’s got that attitude about him, that he is a winner. 

Edited by maloney.adam

31 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Yeah, I disagree with you. Signing an perma-cripple whose numbers are inflated by Coors Field is a bad idea, IMO.

His splits are pretty telling: Dahl career splits A (snicker) 111 wrc+ AT Coors Field? A pathetic 87 wrc+ away? Put in more GLARING terms, an awesome.918 OPS in Coors, but a pathetic OPS of .722 away. (And remember, we'd be getting more of the .722 OPS, since The Rate is away from Coors.)

He only has a 109 wrc+ career against RHP, which really ain't that good, since some of that would have come at Coors. 

Also, his DRS is negative at all OF spots.

Also, the fact that Colorado gave up on him must mean that his injuries are more significant than one might suspect at first glance.

Were this the 2018-2019 SOX, Dahl might have been worth a gamble. But for the 2021 SOX, he's EXACTLY the wrong player for RF, IMO.

You need to consider the hangover effect for Rockies hitters when on the road.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You need to consider the hangover effect for Rockies hitters when on the road.

Great, so Dahl would have a mighty OPS of .750, instead of .722, were he here instead of in Coors.

Then he'd get injured. Again.

Then we'd have Engel overexposed, and the SOX would miss the playoffs.

All because they signed a perma-cripple with artificial numbers, instead of Joc. Or JBJ. Or, FFS, any other number of options instead of DL Dahl.

• Like 1

• bmags locked this topic