Offseason Targets

soxfan49

15 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

It would be a platoon but a much better platoon than we have had. 

Let's get the Joc deal done. RH knows JR cannot and will not even try to win a bidding against Cohen so let's secure Joc so we can keep any trade asset and budget powder we have dry for a SP, rather than having to move an actual asset for a RF if we lose out on Joc too.

It really comes down to that 5th year for Springer though. If nobody is going to offer that right now, a dark horse or a sleeper team is going to come in and snatch him. I can see him signing with the Red Sox. Joc makes perfect sense for us because he’s a left handed bat with power and is good defensively. Steve Stone even mentioned that’s what the team needs and is looking for. If they don’t sign Joc than I would either pivot towards signing JBJ even though he doesn’t really have a whole lot of power or trade for someone like Gallo but yes I would agree with you, let’s try to get a Joc deal done first.

Edited by maloney.adam

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

That said, I love Springer. And obviously I was on the trade for Betts lonely bandwagon. I love the idea of an outfield that just slays. It would be great fun.

But the best part about Joc to me is he likely won't prevent you from getting a big upgrade should one become available. That's what I was worried about with Castellanos/Ozuna talk last year. Good not great players who wouldn't age well and would prevent you from getting a big upgrade.

Joc is perfect for us; really all we need on the offensive side.  This team is so dynamic, and with so many realistic paths to improvement through internal development or smart personnel moves down the line.  I'd love to keep it that way for as long as possible.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Harold said he would be shocked if we didn't sign Joc

Harold also thinks the Sox desperately want McCann back (at starter dollars) and would still keep Grandal around for some reason.  He clearly has access to some inside info, but let’s not assume everything he says is gospel.  Even the best insiders get shit wrong.  Also, James has just as good of a track record and says we’re still in the mix so no one should be losing hope yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 hours ago, manbearpuig said:

The time for a guy like Dahl was when we were rebuild mode. Don't like the idea of seeing if he can finally stay healthy next year.

What if we can get him as 4th OF and DH fall back option though? Not sure the roster size next year, but if the Sox can carry five OFers, give me JBJ or Gallo, if he can be had without giving up prime prospects, and Dahl.

• JBJ
  • Gallo
  • Pederson
  • Rosario

Would be my order of preference. Then if you can get Dahl or Sung-Bum for OF/DH depth at a reasonable price and have the space, that would be ideal. 

• Grandal
  • catcher
  • abreu 
  • Vaughn
  • madrigal
  • Anderson
  • Moncada
  • Leury
  • Mendick
  • Jimenez
  • Robert
  • JBJ/Gallo/Pederson or Rosario
  • Dahl or Sung-Bum
  • Engel
Edited by Vulture

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Harold also thinks the Sox desperately want McCann back (at starter dollars) and would still keep Grandal around for some reason.  He clearly has access to some inside info, but let’s not assume everything he says is gospel.  Even the best insiders get shit wrong.  Also, James has just as good of a track record and says we’re still in the mix so no one should be losing hope yet.

:lolhitting

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I honestly don't doubt they wouldn't mind over paying him. But he's looking at a 4 year deal from the Mets apparently, that ain't gonna happen. 

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Tier 3 (in order):  Adam Eaton (docked for being an asshat and a likely torched bridge, despite a pretty good fit)

Eaton would be far lower on the totem pole than he was before if he returned to the Sox. We've got the veteran leadership in Abreu, Keuchel, Anderson, Grandal, who are backed and beloved by the young potential superstars in Jimenez, Robert, etc. He wouldn't have his cohorts in douchiness like before. I wonder if Eaton's personality would even have any effect. He'd either have to get on board or keep to himself I'd think. 

Just now, Vulture said:

Eaton would be far lower on the totem pole than he was before if he returned to the Sox. We've got the veteran leadership in Abreu, Keuchel, Anderson, Grandal, who are backed and beloved by the young potential superstars in Jimenez, Robert, etc. He wouldn't have his cohorts in douchiness like before. I wonder if Eaton's personality would even have any effect. He'd either have to get on board or keep to himself I'd think. 

Except this time he might have the manager on his side.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You think they want to overpay McCann and keep Grandal, rather than use those dollars toward a Springer or Bauer?

If it was a short one or two year deal, sure, I don't think that would really affect the Springer or Bauer situation all that much. You're also assuming a lot thinking they want to use money on those two. 

Just now, mqr said:

If it was a short one or two year deal, sure, I don't think that would really affect the Springer or Bauer situation all that much. You're also assuming a lot thinking they want to use money on those two. 

My point is unless the Sox are operating in an unconstrained environment, it’s ridiculous to think they would want to pay starter money to their backup catcher or spend $18M/year for Grandal to be their primary DH (while blocking Andrew Vaughn) when they have massive holes in the rotation and RF.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Except this time he might have the manager on his side.

I doubt La Russa would have tolerated the Eaton/LaRoche/Sale shenanigans. Probably wouldn't have even happened in the first place. I don't particularly care for La Russa, but Ventura he is not.

8 minutes ago, mqr said:

Why would McCann sign a one or two year deal? He would be a vast improvement for a lot of teams and he's at his maximum free agent value at his age probably

1 minute ago, Vulture said:

Why would McCann sign a one or two year deal? He would be a vast improvement for a lot of teams and he's at his maximum free agent value at his age probably

He won't. McCann is gone. I'm just saying I don't doubt the Sox would be interested in doing that if possible. 

• bmags locked this topic