Offseason Targets

soxfan49

38 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

No it wouldn't, especially not that last part. Trading that much young pitching for 34 year old Lance Lynn sounds terrible to me.

Trading top prospects for a rental is a recipe for disaster. 

I'd rather go after Darvish or someone with more control. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dam8610 said:

I don't understand why the strategy isn't Bauer and Pederson. The organization made a clear indication of a move to analytics, at least in the pitching department, with the hiring of Ethan Katz. I think Bauer would not only provide a TOR starter, but also accelerate this process and possibly help young pitchers like Cease, Dunning, Lopez, Kopech, Crochet, etc. make the adjustments they need to make to get the most out of their talent. Several of these young arms are going to be important to the White Sox putting together an elite pitching staff to go with their elite lineup. This is to say nothing of adding a true #1 starter to the rotation. As for Pederson, am I the only one who sees signing him as getting at worst 75-80% of what Springer would provide with 0% of the cheating concerns and at about 25-40% of the cost? Both are players who have played CF and displayed good power and ability to hit. Both are considered to be players that will need to move to a corner OF position going forward. Pederson is younger, left handed (which fits the lineup better), and had an atrocious 2020 line that was heavily influenced by a .200 BABIP. A more normal BABIP even for Pederson's standard would bring him right back in to the same offensive production range as Springer. With the group the White Sox have, the RF they sign just needs to be a quality starter who can hit 7th or 8th in the lineup, be a legitimate offensive threat, and not be a butcher in the field. Pederson fits that bill.

So why does this not seem to be the strategy the White Sox are pursuing? I thought the whole point of this whole process was to save money and accumulate talent so that when the time was right, the final key piece or two of the puzzle could be put into place. The time is right. This team has two holes, a TOR starter and a RF, and the market has aligned perfectly to provide those two things. Now is the time to execute the plan and not let Steve Cohen stand in the way.

Right on. This is the path to optimal results. 

That would be tough. Problem with many of the upper level sox prospects is so few have a big tool to hang your hat on. Gladney/hs pitcher you do but it could hurt. 

Gladney has long way to go with contact. 

But with Musgrove you do buy years of time to replenish.

I really do think I like musgrove, but fact remains we’d lose some good bullets for when the ace we need becomes available.

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Would any of you include Dane Dunning in Musgrove trade? Dunning had some great starts at the beginning of the season. Stuff isn't too overwhelming. He needs great command to be effective. Might be the time to sell high on him. 

I just don’t know anymore.  I really just want them to sign Bauer & some reclamations and see who wins the two backend spots.  

4 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I just don’t know anymore.  I really just want them to sign Bauer & some reclamations and see who wins the two backend spots.  

It sounds like they are going down the trade route for SP’s and prioritizing RF for free agency. That can change though. 

Edited by maloney.adam

24 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Would any of you include Dane Dunning in Musgrove trade? Dunning had some great starts at the beginning of the season. Stuff isn't too overwhelming. He needs great command to be effective. Might be the time to sell high on him. 

Not for only two years of Musgrove. Dunning isn’t great, but he should be a solid number 5 at worst going forward.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

Is there any realistic possibility for Blake Snell? Cost controlled TOR and left-handed. Snell, Springer and a closer would set us up nicely.

With Tampa Bay anything is possible, but you're going to pay through the teeth. I mean, Vaughn + Kopech + a strong 3rd piece. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

With Tampa Bay anything is possible, but you're going to pay through the teeth. I mean, Vaughn + Kopech + a strong 3rd piece. 

With Snell’s salary going up significantly the next 3 years in a heavily backloaded contract, I can definitely see them trading him. I would give up any combination of Madrigal, Cease, VAUGHN etc for him. 

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

With Snell’s salary going up significantly the next 3 years in a heavily backloaded contract, I can definitely see them trading him. I would give up any combination of Madrigal, Cease, VAUGHN etc for him. 

If I were Tampa Bay, I would not give up Snell for that deal as if I were moving Snell I would expect I could get better than that from someone else. You are adding Kopech to the list or I'll find better elsewhere. Kopech, Vaughn, Madrigal, and Cease - you've probably got a deal. That contract is expensive for Tampa Bay, but under control for 3 years for that money, with a Cy Young award, money that works for 28/30 teams, you're talking a Sale level deal for him.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bear_brian said:

But the Sale deal was in actuality two top prospects (Moncada, Kopech), one somewhat middling prospect (Basabe) and a filler. What about Madrigal, Cease or Dunning, and Steiver?

Yoan Moncada was the consensus #1 prospect in baseball at the time and Kopech was consensus top 30. Compare the value of the top 2 - Kopech and Vaughn are what, 1 top 15, one top 30 right now if they counted? Kopech might even be top 50? If Vaughn is the centerpiece, he's way below the value of Moncada at the time, generally he's somewhere around #10-15 so something else has to make up the difference between a #1 prospect included and a #10-15 prospect, and that has to be pieces 3-4. That's how I got to Vaughn, Kopech, Cease, and Madrigal - top 2 don't match the Sale deal, but back 2 make up the difference. 

Madrigal (top 100), Dunning might be borderline top 100 based on what he did this year, Cease and Stiever are outside the top 100 but moderately close? Even if Tampa Bay really, really liked those guys, they can easily find better talent. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I hate giving up all those prospects in a deal for a pitcher, but I would understand the trade. It just seems a little heavy. You've got 2 MLB ready players who project to be above average at their positions, and a pitcher with ace potential. 

• bmags locked this topic