Offseason Targets

soxfan49

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Jack: When someone on the internet posts " This is not to say that it won’t happen",  don't go off the deep-end . Wait till something actually happens.  There is way more garbage than fact floating around at this time of year. 

Yeah, I know it's mostly shitposting........but if they bring back Mazara it's fairly clear they're not interested in having a high probability of  winning a championship in this window. It's more of "if it happens, it happens, but we're not going to actively try to win a world series" 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 11/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, black jack said:

You only have time to post every one of their rumors? 

And the disappear?

I haven’t been active here this week but there seems to be an a noticeable absence from him. No?

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

I mean, Al’s is probably full of it but it does seem very possible

I only listen to Steve Stone on rumors, the info is force fed to him. He has slammed Mazara almost as bad as Ricky. So I don't think there is a chance Mazara comes back, unless we fail on all other targets. 

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I wouldn’t do it.  Six years of Dunning > one year of Lynn.

I wonder what it takes to get Lynn and Gallo. If they get Lynn and Gallo, they can still sign another pitcher and possibly blow their load on a reliever like Hendriks

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, I know it's mostly shitposting........but if they bring back Mazara it's fairly clear they're not interested in having a high probability of  winning a championship in this window. It's more of "if it happens, it happens, but we're not going to actively try to win a world series" 

I don't think you can make categorical statements like that.  This is chess....if they sign Bauer but keep Mazara that is not the team giving up...it's them allocating resources where they think they are more important.  Maybe they think Mazara's lefty bat, improved defense and hitting potential is too good of a fit and that his 150 at bats in a Covid year is not enough to decide he's a waste...maybe they think Adolfo is closer to being ready than any of us do...maybe they think they can wait and see on Mazara until the all star break, where your minor league talent has begun to bloom enough to be more attractive in a trade.  Maybe they are seeing reports that Covid will shut down fans for all of 2021 as well and money will be really tight for everyone.  We don't know but if they do bring him back it will be interesting.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, hi8is said:

MLB.com had an article up today stating they’d like to see this trade:

Lynn for Dunning and Beard.

I don’t want any players who played for LaRussa in Saint Louis (Lynn, Pujols, Molina or Wainwright).

Edited by South Side Hit Men

38 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I don’t want any players who played for LaRussa in Saint Louis (Lynn, Pujols, Molina or Wainwright).

This is just dumb.  If the Sox were to add Lynn it’s because he’s a high end pitcher, not because he played for La Russa.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

I don't think you can make categorical statements like that.  This is chess....if they sign Bauer but keep Mazara that is not the team giving up...it's them allocating resources where they think they are more important.  Maybe they think Mazara's lefty bat, improved defense and hitting potential is too good of a fit and that his 150 at bats in a Covid year is not enough to decide he's a waste...maybe they think Adolfo is closer to being ready than any of us do...maybe they think they can wait and see on Mazara until the all star break, where your minor league talent has begun to bloom enough to be more attractive in a trade.  Maybe they are seeing reports that Covid will shut down fans for all of 2021 as well and money will be really tight for everyone.  We don't know but if they do bring him back it will be interesting.  

I've been posting all off season that Rodon and Mazara will be gone Dec. 2nd but there's always the chance they won't be. But it is close to $10M combined salary for them which can be used better elsewhere. That could be 1 starting pitcher's salary for the year or 2 relievers or 1 RF and a reliever you hope are better than Mazara and Rodon.

Mazara and Rodon would definitely be some of the more coveted non-tenders.

9 hours ago, hi8is said:

And the disappear?

I haven’t been active here this week but there seems to be an a noticeable absence from him. No?

Someone's tweet said it was him if we are talking about maloney.adam. He could be gone for the holidays but for a guy who said he didn't have time to be a burner account he had 33 posts here on Tuesday ( the last day he posted) spanning from about 6:30 AM to 8:30 PM.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smellysox said:

Right. Big picture that trade doesn't improve the sox.

Dunning put up a 3.99 FIP in his first seven starts coming off TJS and without his best stuff.  I get he faced some shit lineups, but that’s immensely impressive for a rookie and he 100% earned a rotation spot for next year.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Sounds like Cleveland is making Carrasco available according to Portillo's. And the whitesox have interest. 3 yrs $38 million left.

Cleveland is doing the right thing. Taking advantage of a weak SP FA market. I'm sure the asking price will be the same /high as Tampa for Snell or the Reds for Grey.

1 hour ago, michelangelosmonkey said:

Old enough to remember when he said he was done making statements like that.

(it was last week)

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Dunning put up a 3.99 FIP in his first seven starts coming off TJS and without his best stuff.  I get he faced some shit lineups, but that’s immensely impressive for a rookie and he 100% earned a rotation spot for next year.

Exactly and coming off Tommy John you could expect some arm fatigue . You can severely underestimate a rookie pitcher who is also coming back from TJ surgery. That is 2 things he has never done before, face big league hitters and come back from TJ surgery. It had to be a huge adjustment for him.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The timing of the pitchers the Sox have and the offense peaking is off. 

This is true and not true at the same time.  Yes, Kopech is not giving us anywhere close to 200 innings next year.  Dunning will also be restricted given his limited workload this year.  They both require special handling in 2021, but both are major league ready and can be key contributors.  Additionally, we have Cease who shouldn’t have many restrictions next year, but is coming off a terrible 2020 season which adds uncertainty.

I think the reality is we need to add two starters, a #2 / #3 type that can be a key part of a playoff staff and a #4 type who can be in the back of the rotation mix along with the young guys.  Let’s say you could add Lynn for Stiever++ and then sign someone like Richards for that second spot.  All of a sudden this is your 2021 rotation:

1. Giolito
  2. Lynn
  3. Keuchel
  4. Richards
  5. Dunning
  6. Cease
  7. Kopech
  8. Lopez

Kopech & Cease start the year in AAA where the former’s workload can be managed while he shakes off some rust (and earns back a year of service time) and where the latter can work on any mechanical changes that Katz identifies this offseason / spring training.  Even if Richards can only give you a 100 good innings before going down with injury, you now have two high-end prospects waiting in the wings for their chance.  Given there will likely be seven playoff teams in each league next year, I think this rotation structure should be totally doable for us.  And then come October, you’ll have a big three of Giolito, Lynn (or comparable pitcher), & Keuchel to battle with it.  It may not be perfect, but we can’t afford to fully punt on the development of all our young arms or the window will quickly come to a close.  We need to find a balance and this plan is the best way to do that IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• bmags locked this topic