Offseason Targets

soxfan49

13 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But this is something entirely different which is why many are projecting a much higher number of non-tenders than usual. All the financial reports about teams losing a combined $3B is telling possible non-tenders to take less or be non tendered and take your chances on an over-saturated market. I'd guess plenty of non-tender candidates are being offered less than their projected figures right now and if not accepted then it's adios.

Owners are just using this as an excuse to be cheap. They don't have to do it. This constant cry of poorness will be used in CBA negotiations. Players again are being screwed by league wide ownership collusion.

The Chicago cubs are floating the idea of non tendering a player who was worth 5 fWAR two years ago to "save" money. They just spent hundreds of millions building up the area around the ballpark and starting a television network and they can't afford to put a competitive product on the field? Uh yeah, ok.... 

Baseball doesn't have a pace of play or youth problem.... it has an ownership problem. Collectively it's the worst group of owners in pro sports. the goal is no longer to win and have fun owning a team- whose value grows exponentially year after year. It's a shame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Owners are just using this as an excuse to be cheap. They don't have to do it. This constant cry of poorness will be used in CBA negotiations. Players again are being screwed by league wide ownership collusion.

The Chicago cubs are floating the idea of non tendering a player who was worth 5 fWAR two years ago to "save" money. They just spent hundreds of millions building up the area around the ballpark and starting a television network and they can't afford to put a competitive product on the field? Uh yeah, ok.... 

Baseball doesn't have a pace of play or youth problem.... it has an ownership problem. Collectively it's the worst group of owners in pro sports. the goal is no longer to win and have fun owning a team- whose value grows exponentially year after year. It's a shame.

I generally agree, but the Ricketts have real cash flow problems though because they are so over-levered.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nice theory but a pretty hot take. Billionaires screwing the multimillionaires that they are paying. Both sides have powerful people with each trying to squeeze every dime out of the other. We can't even begin to understand how much money the players or owners make  As employees, the players are pampered unbelievably compared to how the rest of America's working force is treated. They get the best medical care .

It's a very rare thing that people are actually happy in their jobs and doing something they love that doesn't put them in a foul mood when they get home to the people that love them the most. I love the game and since childhood admire the athletes right or wrong in doing so. I have been vocal about Reinsdorf's reign at the helm but that doesn't mean I'm 100% sympathetic to the players either.

Maybe it's because they built up the neighborhood and started a TV network that they can't afford their players ? That ownership group appears to be a wee bit over extended. But I digress. Factually I am so far removed that ignorance doesn't even begin to describe my lack of knowledge. I would imagine it's that way for most of us.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice theory but a pretty hot take. Billionaires screwing the multimillionaires that they are paying. Both sides have powerful people with each trying to squeeze every dime out of the other. We can't even begin to understand how much money the players or owners make  As employees, the players are pampered unbelievably compared to how the rest of America's working force is treated. They get the best medical care .

It's a very rare thing that people are actually happy in their jobs and doing something they love that doesn't put them in a foul mood when they get home to the people that love them the most. I love the game and since childhood admire the athletes right or wrong in doing so. I have been vocal about Reinsdorf's reign at the helm but that doesn't mean I'm 100% sympathetic to the players either.

Maybe it's because they built up the neighborhood and started a TV network that they can't afford their players ? That ownership group appears to be a wee bit over extended. But I digress. Factually I am so far removed that ignorance doesn't even begin to describe my lack of knowledge. I would imagine it's that way for most of us.

Nonsense. Ownership colluding to suppress salaries and pay is wrong regardless of income levels. Just because you like baseball doesn't mean everyone playing the game loves it. This is a job. 

And the Ricketts can't cover Payroll? Then they shouldn't own a team. And the fact that anyone here actually thinks the Ricketts can't afford a payroll has fallen for one big pile or bs. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nonsense. Ownership colluding to suppress salaries and pay is wrong regardless of income levels. Just because you like baseball doesn't mean everyone playing the game loves it. This is a job. 

And the Ricketts can't cover Payroll? Then they shouldn't own a team. And the fact that anyone here actually thinks the Ricketts can't afford a payroll has fallen for one big pile or bs. 

Ok Mr. Know-It-All . Perhaps you are the attorney that can prove collusion beyond a shadow of a doubt. A least I can admit I am ignorant whereas you seem to know every teams financial status and that owners are conspiring to hold down salaries. You're just an armchair quarterback like the rest of us with an over inflated opinion of your own opinion. You may have the last word on the subject.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The Ricketts literally had to sell off equity stakes a few years back because of short-term cash flow concerns as they’re relying on the operating income from the team to pay off its massive debt load.  In all honesty the Ricketts shouldn’t own a team because the vast majority of their wealth is from a trust fund.  They also recently spent a millions buying out / building out Wrigleyville and that has been a huge cash suck for them due to the pandemic.  They aren’t going under or anything, but the reality is their financial situation isn’t as rosy as you think it is and they are going to cut back on payroll this year accordingly.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

There have been several seasons of collusion through last year.

It's why Reinsdorf squealed like he was Ned Beatty in Deliverance during the Cohen ownership vote, in a desperate attempt to keep out any owner who would actually have the audacity to put a competitive team on the field. It's the same reason he successfully blocked Mark Cuban's ownership bid. Thankfully, Reinsdorf is among the dying breed who no longer hold majority sway in the game, just as his kind was phased out of the majority view in the NBA a decade earlier.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Al's with another drop:

I think all 3(Al's, Portillos and Not Cishek) are fulla shit, but it's the offseason so let's roll with it. 

If that's the case about the Phillies why not Harper or both? 

Let's take on Joe Girardi's contract too.  Throw the manager in that deal.  They can take back LaRussa.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

Carlos Rodon's wife is what is wrong with professional sports. Who cares what some over pampered wife thinks on social media? Your husband sucks and will be lucky to get an MLB offer at this point. Please pipe down.

Jason Bennetti cares.  A lot.  

Re: Carlos I don't think he threw 3 straight pitches for strikes since 2019 before he went down with injury (again).

10 hours ago, smellysox said:

I think they want to keep Plesac. Cheaper more control. They're offering Carrasco and Lindor. Cleveland needs to cut about $40m from payroll. Unless that has recently changed. 

I am sure they do, but they also suspended him for violating Covid rules by partying with friends when the Indians were in Chicago.

I have read that his uncle Dan Plesac likes the White Sox and maybe Zach would rather play here than in Cleveland (who wouldn't, especially for this team?)

This would be a costly trade...Perhaps Kopech PLUS  Dunning or Cease and maybe Collins thrown on top.. or something like that.

The thought of losing our prospects quickly makes me less excited about possible trade scenarios. We just don't know how good Kopech and Vaughn will be so how is their trade value determined ?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tray said:

I am sure they do, but they also suspended him for violating Covid rules by partying with friends when the Indians were in Chicago.

I have read that his uncle Dan Plesac likes the White Sox and maybe Zach would rather play here than in Cleveland (who wouldn't, especially for this team?)

This would be a costly trade...Perhaps Kopech PLUS  Dunning or Cease and maybe Collins thrown on top.. or something like that.

The thought of losing our prospects quickly makes me less excited about possible trade scenarios. We just don't know how good Kopech and Vaughn will be so how is their trade value determined ?

One of the biggest reasons why the Indians aren't going to trade Plesac (or Plutko either for that matter) is that the team trading for him is likely going to have to give up a bigger prospect than either of these guys ever were, and who has a much higher ceiling than either of these guys have, and then they'll have to add to that, most likely.  

I really don't think we'll see another deal similar to RA Dickey for Syndergaard + D'Arnaud plus again.  A trade for these Indians guys is kind of in that mold and I know I sure don't want my team to make a deal like that.

23 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Imagine if the Sox traded for both Wheeler and Harper...

It's a complete pipedream......but maybe the Phillies are desperate to offload salary and it wouldn't cost that much. 

Harper fits the Sox better than Springer does. It's a 25.3 M/year contract.....but it lasts forever. I think the Sox would be willing to have it if the Phillies would pay 16M/yr over the last 3 years. 

Something like Harper, Wheeler and Cash.....and maybe it only costs something like Cease and Madrigal.......plus, the Phillies have 8 years before they have to worry about paying the Sox a dime. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok Mr. Know-It-All . Perhaps you are the attorney that can prove collusion beyond a shadow of a doubt. A least I can admit I am ignorant whereas you seem to know every teams financial status and that owners are conspiring to hold down salaries. You're just an armchair quarterback like the rest of us with an over inflated opinion of your own opinion. You may have the last word on the subject.

Somebody get Ray Ray a body bag, because CaliSoxFan just murdered him!

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Somebody get Ray Ray a body bag, because CaliSoxFan just murdered him!

Not. "Beyond a shadow of a doubt" is not the threshold for proving collusion, owners have lost their case multiple times in the past, and if Tony Clark was competent he would have filed a grievance for the past few off-seasons.

9 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes, the poor billionaires are struggling during this pandemic and can't afford to support their businesses. They just happened to have billions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nba teams must have just picked better business men to run their teams. Weird! They seem to be dolling out money and contracts like its nothing.

Since I'm not a lawyer proving collusion in court that means it doesn't exist lol. Just like 2008... no bankers did anything wrong because none were criminally changed. Nice insight cali. Carry that absurdly wealthies water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

• bmags locked this topic